Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help, my 240 doesn´t start

Views : 1088

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 13:33   #1
Classico

Default Help, my 240 doesn´t start

Oh well, after a recent complete service and some exhaust mending (getting rid of holed mid muffler and put a straight pipe instead) the car was going fine. A week later it turns but doesn´t start.

Went yesterday morning for a ride but couldn´t start it. Tried again on the afternoon and then started after trying some. I noticed that firing the engine was not as inmediate as before but went for a ride and the engine didn´t miss a beat so I thought it was ok.

But this morning wouldn´t start again!

It has fuel, electrics seems ok, pretty new spark plugs, battery ok.
What could it be? Petrol pump perhaps?

It is a 230F engine

Any ideas, please
Classico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 13:56   #2
Classico

My bad posting before searching forum, sorry

I´ve found a list of possible culprits perfectrly summarise as follows:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
Possibilities in order of ease of checking:

Fuses. Clean fuses 4 and 6 - fuel pumps (If you carry a short bit of wire with a crocodile clip at each end, and the car won't start, try clipping 4 and 6 together. There will be a spark because it bypasses the relay and lets the pumps run continuously. Gets you home, then DISCONNECT)

Fuel pump relay White relay up behing the glove box, near the wiper mechanism. Always worth carrying a good spare, takes seconds to unplug and swap it in

Ignition Amplifier Module Flat module bolted to the inner wing just in front of the battery. Carry a spare, and if 1 and 2 don't work, unplug and clip it in. Have the spare already mounted on its heat sink, then it can just dangle until you get home.

Crank Position Sensor The fiddly one. If you know what you are doing it's a roadside job, but don't lose the bolt !

There's an endless list of possibles after that, but those account for 99% of all starting problems.
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 19:29   #3
morsing
Premier Member

Can you hear the fuel pump buzz for a second when turning the ignition on? It's by the left, rear wheel, might help if you have someone sit next to it and listen.

If not, get a test light out and see if the relay behind the glove box closes correctly, or alternatively pull the wires of the fuel pump and test on those, but remember they're only on for a second when you turn the ignition on.

Also try pulling a spark plug wire and rest it on top of the engine. You should be able to see the spark to the block when turning it over.
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 01:31   #4
DW42

It should have LH2.4 injection, in which case you can check the computer's diagnostic codes. Use this guide: https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

I wonder if the oxygen sensor was disturbed during the exhaust repair. If it's not sending a signal to the ECU you can end up with the fuel mixture running too rich, fouling the spark plugs, then making the car hard to start and run poorly. This theory would be supported if you get codes 1-1-3 and/or 2-1-2.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 12:11   #5
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

As 'Classico' says that the problem arose after replacing his muffler (silencer(?)) with a straight pipe, might this not be something as simple as altered back-pressure in the exhaust system causing the engine not to start?

If the car was running well before he did so and nothing else was changed, then that is the first place that I would look when attempting to identify the fault.

Regards, John.
Old Apr 14th, 2018, 13:07   #6
chris m

my (wild) guess: Sensor on top of clutch bell housing?

I had that problem with my B230F (ages ago)... replaced the sensor, problem was sorted for good!

Hope this might help, Chris
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 12:00   #7
Classico

Finally it was the CPS-Crank position sensor, number 4 in Clifford Pope list of non-start main culprits (see above).
Thanks Cliff and other advise
Very helpful forum indeed
The Following User Says Thank You to Classico For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 11:05   #8
Staticloveninja

I’m having issues with my FPR. I have gone through 4 in the last month! Every time I replace it the car starts and drives fine. 87 240... when I removed the casing the other day I could see where the contact had melted the plastic. When I was able to make the contact with a screw driver the car would start but as soon as I began to drive it would start dying and run rough then die.
What could cause the relay to burn out that fast?? I replaced the ignition coil, both in tank and external fuel pumps.... I’m going insane with this. Could there be a faulty wire shorting it out and where do I even start to search?
Thanks!
Staticloveninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 09:54   #9
Staticloveninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
Can you hear the fuel pump buzz for a second when turning the ignition on? It's by the left, rear wheel, might help if you have someone sit next to it and listen.

If not, get a test light out and see if the relay behind the glove box closes correctly, or alternatively pull the wires of the fuel pump and test on those, but remember they're only on for a second when you turn the ignition on.

Also try pulling a spark plug wire and rest it on top of the engine. You should be able to see the spark to the block when turning it over.
So I took the cover off of the relay. When I turn the key I can see the first contact work and when I try to turn it over the second contact does the same. But it struggles to start. I actually have had to hold the second contact closed to run the pump for 3 seconds then attempt to turn it over and after a few tries it will start but sometime it will run rough still or if I put it in gear will attempt to die!
I did figure out that one of my smaller plugs on my ignition coil had come lose and was not giving proper contact. I’ve had this same relay for a while now and it’s not burnt up yet. So maybe the lose coil wire was causing an issue. Still doesn’t help explain why now I still struggle to get her going? I have noticed if I get it going drive it without issues **** it off 80% of the time it will still start right up after switching it off. BUT every morning or if I haven’t ran it in hours it will struggle? I’m at a loss!! I’m also curious as well I replaced all my fuses with new ones and checked the contacts.
I did get under the car and used my tester to check the external pump wires and that it was working which it is. What’s the chances of it being a fuel filter or something minor??
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 09:55   #10
Staticloveninja

Interesting