Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre Wear

Views : 3959

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 11:04   #21
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uro1 View Post
After having a lot of bad experience with road noise on Contis I insisted to get an other brand on my new XC90. The dealer told me that he has no influence on which brand new cars will be delivered with. But he agreed to swap them to an other brand on his own if the new car had Contis. I am driving Michelin now.
Out of interest, I'm assuming they are the Michelin Latitude Sport 3's, do you know if they are either or both of the Volvo specific tyre or the acoustic version?

:wq
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 17:12   #22
Twilight2017XC90

Quote:
After having a lot of bad experience with road noise on Contis I insisted to get an other brand on my new XC90. The dealer told me that he has no influence on which brand new cars will be delivered with. But he agreed to swap them to an other brand on his own if the new car had Contis. I am driving Michelin now.
I read a post couple of weeks ago on this forum someone picked up new car from a dealer and "thought" Volvo has added air suspension (which he didn't order) as his car was a lot quite than previous XC90. When he get off at home and checked his got Michelin tyres and not Conti. Now, do you experience quite ride on Michelin or is it same as Contis?
Twilight2017XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 21:30   #23
Goodshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
You will probably get the Contisilent tyres.
You got it right with the sealant. You will have the On-Call facility to get someone to rescue you should it be necessary. Personally I would not bother changing to a spare wheel these days anyhow, even if I had one, when the OnCall thing is there to be used.

Must say that if I had a puncture and it was discovered at home and it was in the tread area, I'd repair it myself using a plug, like the Americans do. Have done this many times on different cars and never had an issue with it. The worse that can happen is that it loses air again, but I've never had that issue.
Thanks Quacker. Unfortunately with a hybrid there is not the option of a spare wheel.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 21:33   #24
Goodshot

Quote:
Thanks uro1. I'll take it up with the dealers and see what they have to say!
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 11:57   #25
Haldex
Premier Member

I added the spare tire kit when I was optioning my 60- it was a cheap option (€70-80, if I remember correctly..) and I wanted it for added security, as I do a lot of mountain/offroad driving. To my huge disappointment - the full size tire does not fit in the spare wheel tub (and I'm on 19" R wheels..) - so should I have a flat and need to put on the temp wheel- I'd have to stick the full size in the trunk For me, this is a huge design flaw and it sort of defeats the purpose of having a spare.. White flannel gloves and a bag for the punctured full size are included in the kit though
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 12:58   #26
Ray Williams

Question Uneven wear on XC90 tyres

Have a 69 plate XC90 inscription pro, air suspension etc. Normally use is towing a caravan more than solo driving. Finding rear tyres are wearing very fast on inside edge not easy to see without crawling under vehicle. It failed mot because of this, tyres only 16,000 make Pirelli Scorpion Verde X-L . Front tyres even wear. Tyre pressures increased to match loading. Anyone else seen this problem.
Is it caused by use, towing caravan over long distances.
Ray Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 13:31   #27
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Williams View Post
Have a 69 plate XC90 inscription pro, air suspension etc. Normally use is towing a caravan more than solo driving. Finding rear tyres are wearing very fast on inside edge not easy to see without crawling under vehicle. It failed mot because of this, tyres only 16,000 make Pirelli Scorpion Verde X-L . Front tyres even wear. Tyre pressures increased to match loading. Anyone else seen this problem.
Is it caused by use, towing caravan over long distances.
Tracking requires checking/adjusting.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 17:35   #28
OldEngineer

In theory, the air will pump up to compensate for the caravan tow ball load so that the tyres stay vertical but the load is still there.

More importantly, the SPA platform does not have trailing arms to restrict toe in/out movement. The restriction comes from a quad located swinging arm with short lengths.

So the tyres are well sorted for vertical location but not squirm.

It's also probable (and more likely) that the electronic speed control (which operates on the rear brakes) is pulling the tyres when the car is overspeeding or getting close to the car in front.