Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Prom cars

Views : 703

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 19:44   #1
heckflosse
Premier Member

Default Prom cars

Has anyone done this with their classic Volvo? It is approaching that time of year, and Hummer limos are so kitsch. What are the pitfalls, other than insurance?
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 20:15   #2
4x4
Premier Member

The punters don't give a damn about your precious car, they have the attitude they're paying for it and will treat it like trash. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. The insurance will hit you for plenty and you're more likely to be stopped for an insurance check by the police if they see you and think your hiring
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 21:07   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

I used to selectively hire my Silver Cloud for weddings and events - mainly through friends of friends - although it is surprising how many 'friends' you collect with marriage market daughters.

Whilst I have some memorable memories of unique events I also have some horror stories of personal abuse to both me and the car. In fact I was chauffeuring at a friends wedding and one of the guests leaned on the rear wing and promptly lit up a cigarette and flicked ash all over the paintwork. I politely asked him to move away from the car and was met with the response '' what has it got to do with you, its not as if its your car, your boss won't know'' I explained it was my car and I was doing the bride a favour. That was met with a foulmouthed response. I vowed there and then I was never hiring the car out again no matter what the circumstances and I haven't since. Unfortunately that was not the only incident I suffered although there were many happy moments.

Insurance by comparison is straightforward. Most classic policies allow occasional wedding/hire for reward use up to six times a year. I used to phone the insurers beforehand and arrange cover for the day at a cost of £25.

Anything more than that and you are into private hire and all the extra MOT inspections that that entails.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 22:12   #4
4x4
Premier Member

Public are bad but it's even worse when the film makers hire your car. Actors/actresses don't give a monkeys about your pride and joy, it's just a prop to them and they do whatever they want, I eventually drove mine off the set and never returned.

Watching the Antiques Road Show on telly makes me cringe when you see the treatment the cars (which are hired from the likes of you and me) receive.
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 13:58   #5
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
If you need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line. We have a number of schemes that cater for this type of use.
Be careful though as Prom use is generally not the same as wedding hire. Whilst most classic car insurers may provide temporary wedding hire cover this doesn't normally extend to prom use as this is more regarded as private hire so you may need to have a private hire licence etc.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 16:36   #6
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Interesting thoughts on how different customers treat 'special' cars.

For wedding, I used a local guy with a 'cherished' Roller; and made sure that we treated his car with respect.

The only other times I've been in the 'special car' was for the funerals of various relatives and I was most apologetic to the driver of one of them when I got muddy graveside footprints on the carpet. I felt really sorry that I had made more work for him.

I most certainly would not go into the 'special' or prom car business as I can well imagine that some of them get really abused by the party-goers!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 22:07   #7
richardt1994

One of my neighbours has a silver Maserati Quattroporte that he hires out as a "hobby" for proms etc with a bit of a twist. He delivered a couple to my daughter's prom last year. He drives, dressed in a black suit and sunglasses with his wife, a very elegant lady, again in a black suit and sunglasses in the passenger seat with the customers (boy and girl) in the rear. They open the doors at the same time and he helps the girl out of the rear and she helps the boy out. The were very slick with their synchronised door opening etc and professional and it looked like the couple had been delivered to the prom by the CIA. My daughter had to make do with my V70 (although I did wash and polish it for the occasion) :-)
richardt1994 is offline   Reply With Quote