Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where are all the S90 on the road?

Views : 3113

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 5th, 2018, 18:28   #21
MOzS90

How fast are you driving Jimrod? To push into the 60s you need to cruise at 60mph, use eco mode and coast as often as possible. I’m obviously lucky with my commute but for every downhill coast there’s an uphill section that hits the economy.

Washed my car for the first time today. Treated it to a thorough detail using some products from a very good friend of mines detailing company. Probably the best in the country I can heartily recommend Auto Curators and their detailing kit. This was the result using their snow foam, shampoo and absolutely superb “Hydro Rapel” - very happy with the results.

Annoyingly - I can’t upload a phone photo. It’s obviously too big.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 950FCA22-9D02-4F6B-973E-3F66EBC658BF.jpg (55.8 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by MOzS90; Apr 5th, 2018 at 18:30.
MOzS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 19:28   #22
DeZemBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
Washed my car for the first time today. Treated it to a thorough detail using some products from a very good friend of mines detailing company. Probably the best in the country I can heartily recommend Auto Curators and their detailing kit. This was the result using their snow foam, shampoo and absolutely superb “Hydro Rapel” - very happy with the results.

Is it really that good? Researching myself car washing kits and tools for my new arrivals
DeZemBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 20:05   #23
Jimrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOzS90 View Post
How fast are you driving Jimrod? To push into the 60s you need to cruise at 60mph, use eco mode and coast as often as possible. I’m obviously lucky with my commute but for every downhill coast there’s an uphill section that hits the economy.

I'd say I'm driving "normally", so first and last sections of commute around 40mph B-road and dual-carriageway with 4-5 sets of lights and roundabouts, middle section of about 70-75mph A-road. I got around 51mpg on the same trip with a loan V40 D2. Acceleration similar, not dawdling but not ranting it.

It's ok, I'd be happier if it had a larger tank really but I'm hoping it picks up as the weather warms up, there are hints it definitely goes up a few mpg when it's comfortably above 10 degrees and I've heard the "winter diesel" doesn't get good results with this car, I'm not sure if the garages have stopped using it just yet due to the cold spells! I struggle in Eco mode as it feels pretty flat but probably worth using on a long run, still a shame coasting isn't enabled as standard on modern VW diesels.

Very nice car overall though, if buying just be wary of slightly "lazy" sensors when you're getting used to it (I had front ones fitted too) as they require slow parking or can be pretty late to respond!
Jimrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 20:16   #24
whoami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrod View Post

Very nice car overall though, if buying just be wary of slightly "lazy" sensors when you're getting used to it (I had front ones fitted too) as they require slow parking or can be pretty late to respond!
I'll second that. Compared to everything else I've driven, they are surprisingly poor.
whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whoami For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 21:14   #25
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

I have seen a far few s90s on the road and in the dealers. I regard it as handsome but am getting used to it now. However i walked out of MandS in Scunthorpe today and there was an S90 D5 r-design in Bursting Blue parked right by the door. It looked simply stunning. Long, low and muscular. I was in a rush but I have to admit to stopping and walking back past it to admire again. I know it is sad but it did look really good in the sun.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 21:18   #26
DeZemBer

Quote:
I'd say I'm driving "normally", so first and last sections of commute around 40mph B-road and dual-carriageway with 4-5 sets of lights and roundabouts, middle section of about 70-75mph A-road. I got around 51mpg on the same trip with a loan V40 D2. Acceleration similar, not dawdling but not ranting it.respond!
Could the r-design has a different engine setup compare to the momentum or inscription? 10-15mpg diff is quite a lot
DeZemBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 21:37   #27
MOzS90

I drive an R-Design and 66mpgs is easy on my commute. It’s all about how you drive!!

Yes Dez - Auto Curators products are superb. They haven’t got the Aston Martin contract for nothing. They are well worth considering if you want your new car well protected.

Autocurators.com
The Following User Says Thank You to MOzS90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 23:13   #28
Jcbrown

Quote:
I have no idea how people get such high mpg, my 13 mile commute on mainly dual carriageway gets to 41mpg or so, a motorway trip to London (190 miles round) got around 49mpg in my D4 R-Design with 2500 miles on the clock yesterday. :| I keep putting it down to a little stop/start traffic at each end, some roadworks, cold weather, winter fuel mixture etc but I can't imagine ever seeing the 60-70mpg people talk of, even with "moderate" driving. I generally get around 375 miles before my warning light comes on due to the small tank!
70+MPG is the exception, I must admit, but I have done it more than once, and here is one of them

The times I do get such good MPG is a 99% motorway trip of 60-100 miles (or more), early on a weekend morning, without stopping, no jams, on a dry spring or autumn day, with the car in ECO, and the traffic flow such that I am sitting on cruise at 70MPH pretty much the whole time (other than some 50MPH sections through variable speed areas)

However, the same route during a weekday during commuting times has resulted in low-mid 50MPG, or even high 40s. Here I am stuck in a couple of jams, it is raining, the traffic flow means I (or PA2) am constantly varying the speed, I leave it in Comfort mode, I stop for a coffee, ...

Same route, but 20MPG difference - Definitely how you drive.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 08:37   #29
MOzS90

That’s very impressive for such a low mileage car. The further the distance, the better the economy. I have a couple of traffic lights and 2 dual carriageway roundabouts on my commute. Depending on the traffic at these can hit the numbers. The other thing is wind conditions - a decent tailwind can gain me up to 10mpgs when compared to the exact opposite journey into a headwind. Diesel doesn’t like cold weather either.

Great to see 70mpgs is possible. Do you know how (in)accurate the VOC numbers are? I’ve seen that the app works in 1/10’s of gallons which must have up to 10% error!! Theoretically above, you could have used 0.99999 gallons to do the journey and not clicked over the 10 gallon mark but the car would count it as 0.9.

Last edited by MOzS90; Apr 6th, 2018 at 08:40.
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 08:41   #30
MOzS90

67.1 divided by 0.9 is 74.5 so maybe the car does calculate the useage more accurately. You actually used 0.94 gallons to get that economy 😴