Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pilot Assist 2 improved.

Views : 5153

Replies : 51

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 22:56   #41
BleatingSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
Well, as I said, the distance from the white line is not adjustable so I would think that your perception that they did something is more likely.
Are you absolutely certain about that? I currently have an E Class with Distronic Plus and Steering Assist. At each service the cameras are re-aligned during the service. It has a marked effect on positioning and ability to follow poorly painted lanes. The E Class system uses two cameras and I think the Volvo one is different but I don’t see why the canera(s) can’t be similarly re-aligned.

BleatingSheep
BleatingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 09:17   #42
S90
IT Guru

Id be more worried about the fact they need adjusted at every service. If the camera is fixed, ie non adjustable then it shouldn't need adjusted. Perhaps because MB use two cameras and Volvo use one the MB can go a bit cross eyed.

The camera in the Volvo is fixed with zero adjustment possible either left or right or up and down. When a new windscreen is fitted, the re calibration referred to is to allow the software to sync with the new camera, not the adjusting of the camera itself.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 09:27   #43
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Id be more worried about the fact they need adjusted at every service. If the camera is fixed, ie non adjustable then it shouldn't need adjusted. Perhaps because MB use two cameras and Volvo use one the MB can go a bit cross eyed.

The camera in the Volvo is fixed with zero adjustment possible either left or right or up and down. When a new windscreen is fitted, the re calibration referred to is to allow the software to sync with the new camera, not the adjusting of the camera itself.
But a new windscreen doesn't require a new camera, does it?

To be honest in my history in this forum since March 2016, I've seen several threads where people have complained of the car hanging to the left, taken it in to be re-calobrated and been happy with the results. Granted, there could be 'placebo effect' at play here, but I doubt it.

Also all those who have had windscreens replaced have had to have cameras re-calobrated, so there must be some form of adjustment/calibration available, probably software based.

:wq
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 09:38   #44
Lexman8
Premier Member

S90, what's your information source that says it cannot be adjusted/re-calibrated?
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:07   #45
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Pilot assist always attempts to steer the car in the middle of the lane, if you sit in the right hand seat it gives the impression of being a little more the the left of the lane, if you sit in the left seat it gives the impression of being towards the right of the lane, but it is in the middle.
There may be slight momenary deviations as the car takes a bend as it adjusts or if you pull out to overtake and you do not do it soon enough for steering to adjust to centre before you pass the vehicle. But it is set to steer in the centre of the lane.

Most people will steer further towards the outside lane marking when overtaking to give a bit more of a comfort zone, the car can only do what it set to do normally (drive in the middle of the lane) it would not be practicle to adjust the camera "even if it were possible" as then the car would always steer too far to the right which would not be safe in some circumstances, the middle of the lane is the safest setting for practical reasons.

Screenshot_2018-04-26-09-44-58.jpg
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:00   #46
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Pilot assist always attempts to steer the car in the middle of the lane, if you sit in the right hand seat it gives the impression of being a little more the the left of the lane, if you sit in the left seat it gives the impression of being towards the right of the lane, but it is in the middle.
There may be slight momenary deviations as the car takes a bend as it adjusts or if you pull out to overtake and you do not do it soon enough for steering to adjust to centre before you pass the vehicle. But it is set to steer in the centre of the lane.

Most people will steer further towards the outside lane marking when overtaking to give a bit more of a comfort zone, the car can only do what it set to do normally (drive in the middle of the lane) it would not be practicle to adjust the camera "even if it were possible" as then the car would always steer too far to the right which would not be safe in some circumstances, the middle of the lane is the safest setting for practical reasons.

Attachment 111983
As a frequent user of Pilot Assist in both the UK and France I can confirm all you say. If anyone is unhappy about a perceived bias to the left or right it’s very simple to adjust the steering whilst overtaking. I also find it incredible that it could cause a vehicle to drift across a lane whilst active. The steering is firmly gripped by the system and it would take quite a tug to cross a line without first indicating. More likely it can disengage whilst lightly holding the steering wheel and this could go unnoticed.
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 12:10   #47
S90
IT Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
S90, what's your information source that says it cannot be adjusted/re-calibrated?
The technician at my Volvo dealership and the attachment included in the post below. The car sits in the middle of the lane. It cannot be adjusted to move it over, the middle is set. All that recalibrating does is tell the system that it needs to reconfirm that the system is operating within the SET parameters, which cannot be adjusted, otherwise every Volvo would be different based on different drivers, can only imaging the legal crap that would ensue!
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:49   #48
cjbrant

Default Pilot Assist too close to left..

Hi My XC90 Inscription pro Oct 2017 keeps too close to the left when in the UK.
However I have now driven 2 trips to North Holland, each 600 miles, and over there the Pilot Assist works 100% Ok with no problems.
Does anyone have any ideas about that? I spend as much time over there as here, and don't want to get anything changed for EU use, but it is a pain in the UK...
Chris...
cjbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:54   #49
MOzS90

I too believe that PA errs to the left.

My reason for thinking this (it’s not an illusion) is that a number of times I have hit potholes (lots out there at the moment) that had the car been perfectly centred, they would have been missed.

Still doesn’t bother me. If I need to apply steering input to maintain a safe lateral distance from an due lane lorry I apply it.
Old May 8th, 2018, 12:13   #50
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Actually, your dealer is lying, it cannot be adjusted and is set to sit in the middle of the lane. If you could see the car from above you would see it sits directly in the centre between the two white lines, admit it can sometimes be a bit disconcerting passing trucks, but all you need to do is adjust the steering yourself.
It doesn't sit between the white lines unless the lanes are quite narrow. It does actually favour the left.
Otherwise I agree with you. I asked the dealer several times whether it could be recalibrated to centre but the other day I happened to be at the dealer when the area service manager for Volvo was present and we asked the question. The answer was that they could not recalibrate the system.

Others claim that this can be done, but I can't see how. It is not a matter of moving the camera. It is more sophisticated than that and even if the camera was moved laterally, the computation would still have the car positioned exactly as previously.

I am not aware of how exactly the system works and can only repeat what the Volvo area service manager told me. If it is incorrect, then sorry, its just what I was told by someone who should know if anyone does.