Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leaky oil cooler line and Turbo

Views : 1301

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 15:23   #1
855 tdi
Master Member

Default Leaky oil cooler line and Turbo

Recently bought the V70 T5 on here from a member, unfortunately it needed a new radiator which was fitted before I picked it up. The problem is that as he honestly pointed out it was leaking oil from one of the cooler lines. He cable tied it for extra security and told me he believed it to need a new clip, fast forward and I ordered some clips for all 4 connections. Today I fitted the new clip with the correct orientation along with a jubilee clip for extra security and new seals, both the smaller and larger ones. Great that should sort it I thought.. nope it's still leaking! It's not a terrible leak but I obviously want to sort it as the underneath is a mess. When I feel underneath it seems as if the oil is from the connection on the radiator rather than from my hose, is it possible it just needs the bolt tightening a little? (see arrow on pic)

Not the greatest picture but as the arrow shows, there's a lot of old oil and it has fresh oil when you look at the turbo from below, is the hose on top a likely cause? My gearbox is nice and oily from this one..

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Volvo 855 TDI 228,000M (sold) Volvo V70 2.5D 218,000m (sold)
Volvo 745 GLE 129,000M (Tankenstein) Volvo 940 SE HPT 115,000M
855 tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 15:52   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quite possible that the union needs nipping up, yes. When I replaced my radiator, ALL the unions were loose on the new one, I tightened them all up as a matter of course.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 16:44   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

You could use a LOW STRENGHT locking fluid:~ Simply Bearings Leigh Lancashire do a range of trueloc products that are recommended- they operate a good postal service, the low strength will seal the threads once cleaned but can be undone with normal hand tools (don’t use a high strength unless you want the fitting to be more/less permanent)
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 17:25   #4
Stu B
Master Member

My 850 T5 had a small oil leak on the top cooler hose in the same place, new seals and clips from the dealer sorted it, but I added a jubilee on top too. On your pic there, I'd definitely nip up the connection a little or dismantle and add a little thread lock (or PTFE tape) and nip back up which should cure it.

The second pic arrow is pointing to the PTC nipple (ooh er, matron!), shouldn't be oily like that but yes, could be coming from the turbo or other items in the vicinity. I'd dismantle, and have a look in that large pipe the nipple fits into as if that's very oily inside it could be a PCV related issue. More likely oil from nearby getting to the outside of it though and making a mess.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 07:18   #5
855 tdi
Master Member

I had considered sealant or tape but didn't have an opportunity yesterday so i'll have another go at it but i'm sure it's the cause after replacing the clip/seals and adding a jubilee clip. I'm hoping it isn't pcv related but I haven't done any tests yet so i'll check that and the hose probably after sorting the radiator leak and cleaning the engine. Thanks for the help!

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 09:57   #6
855 tdi
Master Member

After booting it on a trip back from Lakes I got home to discover my dipstick out of the tube and oil everywhere..

I see no signs the pcv was ever replaced and no written history so i'm going to replace it with gen Volvo bits. Apparently the 99 > models had an aluminium hose which obviously stops it cracking like the earlier plastic equivalent, anyone know how much more it costs? Might see if the local scrapyard has any older models in with one. I'm pretty sure the car had it's rear main seal previously replaced with the gearbox out for a cost of £1800 at Volvo so why there's no pcv documented i'm not sure. Anyone know the size of the jubilee clips that need replacing? Are there any other job's beside throttle and intake cleaning worth doing/replacing at the same time?

Cheers

Old Apr 25th, 2018, 11:27   #7
JohnMacQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 855 tdi View Post
After booting it on a trip back from Lakes I got home to discover my dipstick out of the tube and oil everywhere..

I see no signs the pcv was ever replaced and no written history so i'm going to replace it with gen Volvo bits. Apparently the 99 > models had an aluminium hose which obviously stops it cracking like the earlier plastic equivalent, anyone know how much more it costs? Might see if the local scrapyard has any older models in with one. I'm pretty sure the car had it's rear main seal previously replaced with the gearbox out for a cost of £1800 at Volvo so why there's no pcv documented i'm not sure. Anyone know the size of the jubilee clips that need replacing? Are there any other job's beside throttle and intake cleaning worth doing/replacing at the same time?

Cheers
If the dipstick is out sounds like PCV to me. Have you done the glove test with a rubber glove over the oil filler to see if it sucks or blows?

P.S I used to live in Crawley. Went to school in Horley and lived in Ifield. Has the place changed much in the last 7 years haha?
JohnMacQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 08:08   #8
855 tdi
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMacQueen View Post
If the dipstick is out sounds like PCV to me. Have you done the glove test with a rubber glove over the oil filler to see if it sucks or blows?

P.S I used to live in Crawley. Went to school in Horley and lived in Ifield. Has the place changed much in the last 7 years haha?
Wow it must of been bad for you to move that far away! It's got better crime wise since I was younger, I live in Bewbush. Not a lot has changed really, still not the best place to live.

My PCV definitely needed doing, still fitting mine back together after it decided to pour with rain yesterday. The hoses were rock solid and brittle as anything, unfortunately one unrelated hose broke on me so now I need to sort that out too , the pcv had never been done in 170k and the PTC nipple was really clogged up hence the leak over my turbo. I cleaned mine up but a new one is £70 for the whole pipe from Volvo and it's made of plastic. Even better the 850 T5 I bought my dad has the same problem with a filthy PTC nipple leaking oil.. i'm not doing this job again!

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 10:06   #9
JohnMacQueen

Christ what a mess. This is what my PTC and PCV will surely look like if I dared to remove my intake manifold. Why did volvo make this such a task?...

And yeah that doesn't surprise me. Don't miss it if I'm honest.
JohnMacQueen is offline   Reply With Quote