Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Highways Agency Officers - rules of engagement ?

Views : 2328

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 23:29   #1
NigelDay
Premier Member

Default Highways Agency Officers - rules of engagement ?

I was driving up the A1 in North Yorkshire on Monday afternoon. The rain and visibility were not good. The overhead gantries were displaying a 50 mph 'red' limit. OK, that's fine, and the traffic slowed accordingly. However, I then noticed flashing lights ahead. Not blue, but red and orange. It looked at first as if it was an abnormal load convoy vehicle, but as I gradually got closer it became obvious it was a Highways Agency vehicle. Then -- and this is the frustration -- the Highways Agency vehicle decided he would go slower and slower (but the weather had not got any worse, nor had the gantries changed from 50 mph) until the traffic had reduced speed to below 30 mph. In my opinion this was a dangerous and unnecessary manoeuvre. Clearly the traffic immediately behind the Highways Agency vehicle was not prepared to overtake (but legally I think they could have done, provided they did not exceed 50 mph).
So the question is, are Highways Agency Officers entitled to 'attempt' to force a speed limit lower than the official gantry signs (which, one might assume, are legally assigned from a central control room).
My concern is that the actions of the Officers on that afternoon were actually dangerous by using unnecessary 'bunching' of vehicles in the tailback behind. What do others think ?
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 01:09   #2
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

They may well have been doing a rolling road block to make a gap in the traffic to enable another 'officer' further up the road to run out and clear an obstruction, if bringing it down to 30 was 'dangerous' putting in a full stop a mile further up would have been worse.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 03:20   #3
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quiet an interesting question Nigel. I can't give a definitive answer, but I do know that whilst they do not have the same powers as the police they can stop, and also 'manage' traffic in certain situations such as adverse weather. Of course their view of what adverse conditions are maybe different to someone else's.
Were they conducting a 'rolling road block?' If that was the case then usually along with the flashing lights normally a variable message sign (VMS) is displayed with 'Do Not Pass' or some such. If that was the case then it is illegal to pass even though a higher limit was displayed and they can report it as an offence.
As the 'HATO's are in contact with central control, as David mentioned above, perhaps something further ahead may have happened and the overhead signs may have not yet been activated!
Another thought, were they in a 'dominant' position on the road so they were obviously wanting drivers to comply with them, or just tootling along in lane 1?

+ "Rolling Road Block" via YouTube
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 07:08   #4
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Seen this many times before. It’s not the highways people that annoy me at least they were probably clearing an obstruction or there was a reason.

What really gets me is the gantry speed limits going from 60 to 50 then back to 60 and then to 40! With a sign report of obstruction. The thing is there never is one the road is perfectly clear! Yet on Wednesday I hit a massive strip of metal in lane 1 and was there any warning signs illuminated....... No! No time or space to move out the way as the car in front dodged it at last minute. No damage done but my van flicked it up and if anyone was behind it probs would have gone through there screen!

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Executive, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 12:27   #5
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
Seen this many times before. It’s not the highways people that annoy me at least they were probably clearing an obstruction or there was a reason.

What really gets me is the gantry speed limits going from 60 to 50 then back to 60 and then to 40! With a sign report of obstruction. The thing is there never is one the road is perfectly clear! Yet on Wednesday I hit a massive strip of metal in lane 1 and was there any warning signs illuminated....... No! No time or space to move out the way as the car in front dodged it at last minute. No damage done but my van flicked it up and if anyone was behind it probs would have gone through there screen!
Yep driving up & down the A1 the other weekend.

So Saturday Morning about 06:30 in North Yorks

50mph on the signs - Caution Queue Ahead for must have been 5+ Miles

I counted in view both to the Front & Rear 8 other vehicles in that whole distance not a queue anywhere in sight.

Then travelling back up again around Leeds

30mph on the signs - Slow Livestock in the Road for 5 Miles then a break then another 5 odd miles.

Was there anything in the road - Nope Nada not a thing not even any traffic wombles or police to indicate there ever may have been.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 18:07   #6
dcw
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
I was driving up the A1 in North Yorkshire on Monday afternoon. The rain and visibility were not good. The overhead gantries were displaying a 50 mph 'red' limit. OK, that's fine, and the traffic slowed accordingly. However, I then noticed flashing lights ahead. Not blue, but red and orange. It looked at first as if it was an abnormal load convoy vehicle, but as I gradually got closer it became obvious it was a Highways Agency vehicle. Then -- and this is the frustration -- the Highways Agency vehicle decided he would go slower and slower (but the weather had not got any worse, nor had the gantries changed from 50 mph) until the traffic had reduced speed to below 30 mph. In my opinion this was a dangerous and unnecessary manoeuvre. Clearly the traffic immediately behind the Highways Agency vehicle was not prepared to overtake (but legally I think they could have done, provided they did not exceed 50 mph).
So the question is, are Highways Agency Officers entitled to 'attempt' to force a speed limit lower than the official gantry signs (which, one might assume, are legally assigned from a central control room).
My concern is that the actions of the Officers on that afternoon were actually dangerous by using unnecessary 'bunching' of vehicles in the tailback behind. What do others think ?
The weather may well be a complete red herring. Highways Officers have powers to manage the traffic and in appropriate circumstances they can impose a rolling roadblock eg to remove an obstruction. That is probably what was happening here. As has been said here if that is the case you would normally expect their vehicle to be prominent in the middle of the road and displaying a "do not pass" message, although waving arms out of windows to slow traffic down is legitimate.

The gantry systems are often slow to respond to situations and often do odd things as described in this thread - I had this yesterday on the M62 50, then 60, then 50, on alternate gantries. The HO's have sufficient powers to deal with ad hoc situations; the knock on effect of using the gantries can be far more major...

Don't want to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but just because the speed limit is 50 doesn't necessarily entitle you to do 50 - it can be overridden by those in authority. You probably don't mean to suggest that, but your post could be read that way. You suggest the action here was dangerous but I doubt they did it for no good reason, just a reason not known to you. Would you have felt the same had it been a police car? You may well have been saved from driving straight into a piece of a lorry, for example, but since they officers did their job and risked walking on the motorway to remove it, you'll never know...

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport

Last edited by dcw; Apr 27th, 2018 at 18:10.
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 20:53   #7
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

Quote:
...So the question is, are Highways Agency Officers entitled to 'attempt' to force a speed limit lower than the official gantry signs (which, one might assume, are legally assigned from a central control room).
I just assume the Agency drivers are far more up to date on the situation than the robot brains in the gantry signage ... or the muppets on the controls back at base.
Ignore the gantry, stick with the Agency vehicle's actions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 21:25   #8
steadvex
Master Member

I was quite annoyed at a highways agency vehicle before, went to overtake, no overtake sign came on and pulled in behind.

The worst thing with these situations is the way everyone constantly bunches up and tries to push each other along, I envision a huge pileup due to people not being able to keep a safe distance, in this instance for myself whilst I was cursing away having no clue what's going on it became clear what was happened.

Someone's canoe must of come off a roof rack/trailer as it was upside down across lane 2 & 3 just after the brow of a hill on a busy section of motorway, had they not slowed us down it's clear to see that could of been bad!

I would be surprised if they are slowing traffic for no good reason, from my experience there is always an obstruction or a nasty accident
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 06:22   #9
tt82
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Check your highway code - https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...orised-persons

They have the full legal right to stop traffic and enforce diversions. That doesn;t mean they aren't open to abusing their powers but as other have probably said, they were probably managing an incident further up the road and the fact you were none the wiser is probably credit to the good job they did.

Whilst the overhead gantry signs can be frustrating as the show incorrect info for the majority of time and the traffic 'wombles' can occasionally be frustrating, they do a dangerous job. A job which has resulted in deaths - https://www.manchestereveningnews.co...hways-14179188 - so don't be too quick to complain when they are there making the roads safer for all of us.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2018, 08:22   #10
hennabm

HA staff do have powers to stop so driving past them if they are telling you not to is an offence.

As others have said the chances are the weather may not have been the problem.

What gets me with them is that they generally drive at 50 mph causing traffic jams as the trucks have to pull out to overtake them and all that causes. To me they should travel at the same speed as the trucks at least.
2010 116d
2011 X3 3.0d
hennabm is offline   Reply With Quote