Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Correct Gearbox oil (tf-80sc) jws3309 vs 3324

Views : 3234

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 18th, 2022, 13:01   #21
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebg View Post
Can anyone advise on which oil my geartronic should take ? 2009 v70 d5, tks
This >>> https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/collec...smission-fluid
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 20:22   #22
jsuln11

Hello,

Ive been talking with Ravenol this past few weeks. Super slow and bad customer support and still waiting for clarifications. Anyway i know less now than i did before since their reply rate is once every 2 weeks.

Turns out they do not recommend the ATF-WS oil at all as a AW1 replacement, but their new LVS oil which is nowhere to be found. As an alternative they recommend their dexron VI oil.. Which is strange since noone nowhere recommended or listed dexron 6 as a aw1 replacement oil.

To add to confusion - they list VOLVO 31256775, VOLVO 31256776 under their ATF-WS oil, but not 31256774 - this one is listed under their LVS oil. Funny since these reference numbers are in fact all Volvo AW1 oil numbers, just in different quantities, yet they put 2 under one oil, and one under another.

Their feedback:

Dear Your Volvo has a TF80-SC automatic transmission. I checked the car model and components in our online database. The 2012 model also has the TF80-SC automatic transmission.
This automatic transmission needs oil according to "Aisin Warner AW-1". A simple oil, nothing special.

The RAVENOL Multi ATF LVS Fluid is exactly the right oil for the gearbox.

If this oil is not available for you, you can also use RAVENOL ATF DEXRON VI. Your product is missing the specification "AW-1", but it fulfils all requirements.

Anyways.. even more confusing now since ive no idea what oil to get now, since my plan was to buy ATF-WS which people on these forums used in these boxes .. and get it over with finally.

Cheers,
Jaka
jsuln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 20:39   #23
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuln11 View Post
Hello,

Ive been talking with Ravenol this past few weeks. Super slow and bad customer support and still waiting for clarifications. Anyway i know less now than i did before since their reply rate is once every 2 weeks.

Turns out they do not recommend the ATF-WS oil at all as a AW1 replacement, but their new LVS oil which is nowhere to be found. As an alternative they recommend their dexron VI oil.. Which is strange since noone nowhere recommended or listed dexron 6 as a aw1 replacement oil.

To add to confusion - they list VOLVO 31256775, VOLVO 31256776 under their ATF-WS oil, but not 31256774 - this one is listed under their LVS oil. Funny since these reference numbers are in fact all Volvo AW1 oil numbers, just in different quantities, yet they put 2 under one oil, and one under another.

Their feedback:

Dear Your Volvo has a TF80-SC automatic transmission. I checked the car model and components in our online database. The 2012 model also has the TF80-SC automatic transmission.
This automatic transmission needs oil according to "Aisin Warner AW-1". A simple oil, nothing special.

The RAVENOL Multi ATF LVS Fluid is exactly the right oil for the gearbox.

If this oil is not available for you, you can also use RAVENOL ATF DEXRON VI. Your product is missing the specification "AW-1", but it fulfils all requirements.

Anyways.. even more confusing now since ive no idea what oil to get now, since my plan was to buy ATF-WS which people on these forums used in these boxes .. and get it over with finally.

Cheers,
Jaka
It will be AW-1 or JWS3324 on that year.

Volvo is costly but smith and Allen and westway lubricants are a lot less expensive.

For me I use genuine Volvo.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 21:53   #24
jsuln11

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
It will be AW-1 or JWS3324 on that year.

Volvo is costly but smith and Allen and westway lubricants are a lot less expensive.

For me I use genuine Volvo.
Yes, its jws 3324 for my year for sure. Volvo OEM is sadly out of the price range at over 30 per liter here and i cant get this Smith and Allen oil here in this part of europe :/

Also fun fact - the oil that Ravenol recommended me as their AW1 replacement (multi LVS) looks like a some kind of universal lubricant for hydraulics, power steering and transmissions lol, and it literally says its not a permanent replacement and should not be used continuesly / used only if there is no other oil available. Jesus christ why would anyone want to pour this in their car after reading this? And somehow their WS oil is not suitable for this 2nd gen tranny.

-----

RAVENOL Multi ATF LVS Fluid is a synthetic multifunction automatic transmission oil ATF based on highly developed synthesis technology for automatic transmissions and manual transmissions, in torque converters and numerous power steering systems.

RAVENOL Multi ATF LVS Fluid is suitable for automatic transmissions, steering, clutch systems, hydraulics and auxiliary drives in passenger cars and commercial vehicles if a low-viscosity oil is required.

Application note:

RAVENOL Multi ATF LVS Fluid can be used as a refill oil in a wide range of applications to meet the requirements of Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, KIA, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, VW, Audi and many more if no suitable original oil is available. Not suitable for CVT automatic transmissions. Observe manufacturer's instructions.

Multi ATFs only meet the necessary specifications, ie the minimum technical requirements for an ATF. They are therefore not suitable for permanent use. Multi ATF should therefore only be used as a temporary replacement or for topping up if the special gear oil is not available for your area of ​​application. For continuous use and long-term operation, we recommend using our RAVENOL ATF Professional Line gear oils.
jsuln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 22:11   #25
bananarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuln11 View Post

Multi ATFs only meet the necessary specifications, ie the minimum technical requirements for an ATF. They are therefore not suitable for permanent use. Multi ATF should therefore only be used as a temporary replacement or for topping up if the special gear oil is not available for your area of ​​application. For continuous use and long-term operation, we recommend using our RAVENOL ATF Professional Line gear oils.
That is Crazy!

Any other brands available in Slovenia? OR ignore what customer services say, and go with the ATF-WS oil if it meets the AW1 specs?
bananarama is offline   Reply With Quote