Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Toy - 1998 V70R

Views : 8272

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 08:27   #1
CosmicBike

Default New Toy - 1998 V70R

Always fancied an R ever since my first Volvo, a 1998 V70 2.5 over 20 years ago. Picked up a Nautic Blue FWD auto just before Christmas, not without it's issues, but a solid honest car with lots of history. What is missing is any cambelt history beyond 50k, so that's in the post, along with the aux belt etc. Currently in bits on the drive as I replace the PCV, it had the original fitted so I reckon at 137k it's overdue, the one I've removed is very blocked along with the PTC valve, so all getting a good scrub.
Whilst that's all out the old, perishing vacuum hoses are being replaced with Samco silicone throughout, and the ABS module I pulled yesterday and did the usual fix as the speedometer was intermittent and I've had some ABS/TRACS codes (no lights though, even on telltale so I suspect lamps removed...).
Big pile of bits in the garage for a decent service, maybe one day I'll get to drive her, but for now the '93 240 continues to do me proud as a daily.
CosmicBike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 13:39   #2
Fazat

ooh nice. I really like the metallic Blue colour of that V70Rs.

Get some pictures up please, even if it is in bits
Fazat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 06:42   #3
Rich850R
Master Member

Hope you’ve caught the PCV in time. That’s a long long time to be on the original
Rich850R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 08:57   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

The V70R is quite a smooth, punchy car, you'll enjoy it. Sounds like you're doing all the stage 0 work first, which I commend. Its a very wise move IMHO. I hope the rear main seal is ok - check for oil leaks and if you do find any, try and trace them to source - they may be just cam seal leaks, but you might be unlucky if the PCV is that badly blocked.

As mentioned ^^^, lets see some pics

NB I had a V70R in nautic blue, which I bought from Seb many years ago - but I don't think your car will be my old one as I sold it to a guy in Germany
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 20:03   #5
CosmicBike

Hopefully pic attached.

I hope I caught the PCV, I completed the replacement yesterday. There was a very faint puffing from the dipstick. There was a good coating of oil down the back of the block when I bought it, and I spent quite some time cleaning that so I can pin down likely sources when I start driving it. There was evidence of oil leaking from the filler cap, under the sparkplug cover and running down the block. The filler cap seal was rigid and snapped away, so new one fitted. The PTC was completely blocked, now its pristine. Once started no more puffing from dipstick, so we'll see.
Cambelt kit arrived today, if I get time I'll fit tomorrow, and then I'm happy to drive it. Then decision time, keep the 240 or not.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V70R edit1.jpg (194.9 KB, 110 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CosmicBike For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 09:50   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Looks like a good starting point. This is my old blue V70R at a classic car show - we just went to visit but we were directed into the display area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00663.jpg (194.1 KB, 74 views)
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 00:03   #7
buick boy

Don't forget to replace the oil seal on the engine block end of the turbo oil return pipe . These are always a good source for leaks , especially if you've had a blocked pcv system.
buick boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buick boy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 01:08   #8
andrewc1267
Master Member

Default Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Always fancied an R ever since my first Volvo, a 1998 V70 2.5 over 20 years ago. Picked up a Nautic Blue FWD auto just before Christmas, not without it's issues, but a solid honest car with lots of history. What is missing is any cambelt history beyond 50k, so that's in the post, along with the aux belt etc. Currently in bits on the drive as I replace the PCV, it had the original fitted so I reckon at 137k it's overdue, the one I've removed is very blocked along with the PTC valve, so all getting a good scrub.
Whilst that's all out the old, perishing vacuum hoses are being replaced with Samco silicone throughout, and the ABS module I pulled yesterday and did the usual fix as the speedometer was intermittent and I've had some ABS/TRACS codes (no lights though, even on telltale so I suspect lamps removed...).
Big pile of bits in the garage for a decent service, maybe one day I'll get to drive her, but for now the '93 240 continues to do me proud as a daily.

Are you thinking of tuning it. I bought v70R FWD manual with the purest intention of keeping it standard but it bored me to tears I'd don't all the stage 0 stuff but compared to more modern stuff ie Golf R or Mazda 3 MPS even BMW 330d I found it to feel lazy and ridiculous on fuel compared with performance. I thought that the boost window was to small for such a large engine it felt more like a big tourer than a commemoration to a race car. I ended up putting steel con rods bigger injectors 19t different CAT and exhaust plus lot's other stuff and then had it tuned it was like opening pandoras box once I started I just went the whole way. And I think it made it the car it was meant to be ( just my opinion) I loved it I kept it longer than any other car I've owned but I got a great deal on a scrappage scheme and fancied something newer.
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 19:45   #9
CosmicBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc1267 View Post
Are you thinking of tuning it. I bought v70R FWD manual with the purest intention of keeping it standard but it bored me to tears I'd don't all the stage 0 stuff but compared to more modern stuff ie Golf R or Mazda 3 MPS even BMW 330d I found it to feel lazy and ridiculous on fuel compared with performance. I thought that the boost window was to small for such a large engine it felt more like a big tourer than a commemoration to a race car. I ended up putting steel con rods bigger injectors 19t different CAT and exhaust plus lot's other stuff and then had it tuned it was like opening pandoras box once I started I just went the whole way. And I think it made it the car it was meant to be ( just my opinion) I loved it I kept it longer than any other car I've owned but I got a great deal on a scrappage scheme and fancied something newer.
Not really, it's a decent dog lugger and to be honest, a modern plaything. I have my toy, a 1986 Capri, which once I've cut all the rust out will be my modified car, I'd like to drop a V8 in, just need to chose the right one...
2007 Ford Galaxy (dog lugger)
Previous XC90 x 2, V70 x 2
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 01:13   #10
andrewc1267
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicBike View Post
Not really, it's a decent dog lugger and to be honest, a modern plaything. I have my toy, a 1986 Capri, which once I've cut all the rust out will be my modified car, I'd like to drop a V8 in, just need to chose the right one...

How mads that a friend of mine has an old ford Capri John player special the original engine was seized so he bought a Audi RS4 4.2 engine code CFSA and manual transmission it's set up for rear wheel drive not sure if he used the Audi gearbox but it's in running and driving and he's got it running off the Audi engine management system so starts and drives great I remember him having a nightmare with the exhaust manifolds. I think he had them fabricated he also fitted an LSD the car looks very standard from the outside other than having twin rear silencers and tail pipes I think these where purchased from a ford Mustang parts supplier in the US
andrewc1267 is offline   Reply With Quote