Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roof rack estate 240 - 1992

Views : 862

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2022, 19:37   #1
BartleBobton

Default Roof rack estate 240 - 1992

Hello ... If anyone has a roof rack, they would like to sell, could you kindly drop me a note.

Big thanks... Phil
BartleBobton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2022, 17:20   #2
DJ
VOC Member

Default How about...

Have you seen this, Phil?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125306832...0AAOSwCbFiem1K
2005 V70 SE 2.4 (170 auto), 2000 V70 SE 2.4 (140 manual)
1992 245 Torslanda, 1990 245 GL, 1993 440 Li
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2022, 23:42   #3
BartleBobton

Hello .... thanks for the link, do you know if that will fit a 240, the add states; 740/940/960 .... which look to be a bit bigger than a 240 ....
Old May 29th, 2022, 13:02   #4
DJ
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartleBobton View Post
Hello .... thanks for the link, do you know if that will fit a 240, the add states; 740/940/960 .... which look to be a bit bigger than a 240 ....
I must admit, I misread the ad description and only realised after I'd posted! I'm sure our experts on here will know if it will fit...

It would be useful if the forum had a "compatibility" section that held data on what accessories for one model fit others, together with key dimensions for each model (such as luggage area floor dims for each model (mats), pitch across roof between gutters (roof racks), width behind rear seats (for load covers) etc,
Old May 30th, 2022, 17:19   #5
BartleBobton

Default A good idea....

The compatability conundrum had me pulling my hair out and dreaming about alternators... I wanted a spare one, as the original is a bit suspect; I'm still searching....

I'm taking a different tack now, as I now need quite a few pieces; aerial...internal trim.... alternator... roof rack... passenger window....and so on.... My idea is to find a 240 estate, at a breakers yard....which is near complete...and do as much as I can in one hit.... I have a willing partner, who is good with spanners, that always speeds things up... Even if I have to make a bit of drive...having the donar car onhand, with lots of parts should make the transfer easier and cut down on the searching.

One other thing stupid me forgot about; the 240 saloon has a lot of compatable parts with the 240 estate.... duhhh.... !
Old May 30th, 2022, 19:32   #6
DJ
VOC Member

Default Can the search be widened??

Lateral thinking-wise, yes, saloons, but also I'm wondering how many 740 parts, for example, fit 240s- they were contemporary after all (740s being the intended replacement with lukewarm reception, hence the extended 240 production years....I await the ire of 740 enthusiasts on that).

The front floor mats on my newly acquired '85 "fully restored" 240 ("trays", as often referred to) are not properly fitting 240 ones- they're near enough, but don't follow the foot-well profile at the back, so what are they from??

Mine is this one- the video is worth a watch...

https://classicsworld.co.uk/guides/v...-buyers-guide/

There must me expertise on here for this type of thing...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 20:12   #7
BartleBobton

Default Latest News ....

I managed to find a roof rack, not an original Volvo one, but a roof rack never the less.

Two weeks ago I was at the big "European" Antique Fair, just outside Newark (there was barely a European insight) .... I wonder why, anyway, that's another topic. Late in the day I was drifting around the stalls, slowly loosing conciousness...when my other half spotted a roofrack. We had a good look at it, it seemed to have the correct type of clamps, a beautifully simple design, the type which drops into the roof gutter, the ht and width were adjustable, it was a basket style, the sort you might see on an old Landrover /Lada.. pale yellow in colour and made of steel. The guy selling it was from Lithuania, he told us the rack was Russian, yes, it was old...paint flaking off and so on....

We were camping in the car for one more night, so the guy said he would take it back if it didn't fit, which was really decent.

We both hurry scurried off with the rack ...keen to see if it would fit...Luckily I had a socket set with me (just in case) ...and after a bit of faffing ... we had one very secure rack, absolutely solid....we were both grinning ear to ear at one another... both happy with our new purchase.

Looking at the clamping mechanism, I'm guessing there must be a number of these old style roof racks which will fit a Volvo 240. Gutters on roofs seem to be a design of the past.

Other things;

Currently wrestling with the alternator / battery conundrum... I've just replaced the battery...fingers crossed.

Recently fixed the old radio... a capacitor had blown + the internal fuse....
When pulling out the radio, I also discovered, in part, why there was no air flowing from the centre vent....the rubber type concertina conduit for air wasn't connected....that's helped a bit, the main probem is the blower motor, if that's the correct name, I think it's had it, but that's a job for another day....

Lovely in the sunshine...hope all is good...

Phil

ps.... I wish petrol was cheaper....
The Following User Says Thank You to BartleBobton For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 08:09   #8
BartleBobton

Default One other small note.....

For those who are interested, the Antiques fair is held at Winthorpe, a former Royal Air Force station, just outside Newark. One novelty is you drive down one the of the old runways which is pan flat, to the parking area.

The parking area is huge..mostly on grass, the best bit is you can camp there overnight, or sleep in your car, it's widely accepted and the security guards are really helpful, no long faces or the sucking air type. There are showers, but they're inside the show ground in one of the outbuilding, there's no signage to them, so just ask about and you'll be pointed in the right direction...