Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Time Volvo Buyer

Views : 1275

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2022, 23:48   #1
Captain9

Default First Time Volvo Buyer

Hi, pleased to join the VOC.
I am based in Birmingham UK, and looking for a Volvo XC60. No doubt lots to look out for but the obvious would be a great help. I understand for my budget circa £10k and mileage no more than 100,000 there will be numerous to choose from. But really looking for a good experience and many years happy motoring. My mileage is circa 5000 to 8000 per year.

Thank you, Paul
Captain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 06:30   #2
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Hello and welcome. I'm new to Volvo myself, and for a 15 year old car the experience has been good so far. Good luck with your search, lots of helpful people on the forum.
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 10:51   #3
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Can't help you with a car, although mine is exactly the sort you might hope for: here's some data to help:

I bought it new in 2014 - FWD D4 Auto, diesel.
Whatcar tells me it is worth perhaps £10-11k
Fully loaded:
  • winter pack (heated everything!), adaptive cruise control (which is *amazing*)
  • active high beam headlights (also amazing - leave the kerb on main beam whilst dipping for cars on the right, for example).
  • 8-speed auto - very relaxing drive, I do recommend it. I did Polestar it a few years ago for a little extra urgency when desired It was much cheaper than trading the car in!
  • Even have a button to lower the rear headrests (handy for clipping the ears if the kids are misbehaving!).
Currently at 92k miles - just had The Expensive service - cambelt (which is £400-600 depending on dealer!). Worth making sure that is stamped up, or knocking perhaps 600 off for it.
That service for me also needed new front discs/pads, as well as MOT - all-in came to almost a grand ....but I new it would, and it has cost relatively little over the years.

The DC (diamond cut) wheels are a PIA - after a few years, they inevitably tarnish as water bubbles through - I would only go with regular alloys, given a choice. That said, you are near https://www.citywheelrefurbishment.co.uk - I had them refurb some old bubbling alloys, and they did a brilliant job at a very fair price!

Our XC60 has served us very well: we are 3 years into owning a Kona EV, & that is our main car, doing 80% of our runs. We generally get around 35mpg, but can drive carefully and get nearer 40.

It now does around 4-5k pa (used for a variety of long/ski/tip/kids-moving runs).....& whilst we feel we should change a car, I suspect we may hold onto the Volvo forever!
Every now & then I look at replacements, but a similar XC60 (or 90 - even more capacity for tip runs!) just costs so much more....

Good luck - they are very fine vehicles!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 05:46   #4
cam
Premier Member

Smile

Hi Paul and welcome mate.
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 06:27   #5
Pidgeonpost
Master Member

Welcome along! I'm new too - some helpful folks around these parts.
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 12:53   #6
Rob76

Road tax £30; paid £6.5k; cambelt water pump and engine oil change done before purchase; mileage 101k.
I do the same mileage a year as you. My V60 1.6 is good at accelerating under about 60 but is a little sluggish at higher speed. Motorway cruising is returning about 63mph around town 53mph.I put an alert on my phone from auto trader and was first in a long queue. Good bargain. Year 2013

Last edited by Rob76; Oct 21st, 2022 at 12:55. Reason: add year
Rob76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 10:52   #7
ushes

Just seen this ad, my car is for sale now in the sales section?
Please get in touch if interested

Steve
ushes is offline   Reply With Quote