Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 2.4 D5 with MAF fault

Views : 2633

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 25th, 2019, 15:30   #1
Loz2212

Default XC60 2.4 D5 with MAF fault

Hi all,

I'm just currently trying to solve an ongoing issue with a 65 plate XC60 2.4 D5. The customer complaint is that the vehicle sometimes cuts out, lack of power and the money light is on. Scanning the car brings up a permanent P0100 MAF code - circuit malfunction.

A chap at work has fit a new MAF and it is still the same. We've had a look at the data and it seems all over the shop on requested and actual MAF readings.

Any pointers?

Thanks.
Loz2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 22:25   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz2212 View Post
Hi all,

I'm just currently trying to solve an ongoing issue with a 65 plate XC60 2.4 D5. The customer complaint is that the vehicle sometimes cuts out, lack of power and the money light is on. Scanning the car brings up a permanent P0100 MAF code - circuit malfunction.

A chap at work has fit a new MAF and it is still the same. We've had a look at the data and it seems all over the shop on requested and actual MAF readings.

Any pointers?

Thanks.
check all the wires between the Air Mass Meter and ECU it is not between the two , any signs of rubbing through on anything ? Is the loom still supported on the air filter ok or hanging down on the engine ?
Old May 23rd, 2020, 09:42   #3
alldonein1

I currently have the same problem with my S60. Fitted a new MAF and it is still the same. Tries to die at low revs but ok once you get your foot down. The mechanic who looked at it just ended up unplugging said MAF and it runs fine.
Now waiting for auto electrician to take a look.
alldonein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 11:00   #4
bashracing

Same trouble code ?

is all the the inlet pipework leak free, as if the engine is drawing in air form an easier source ( breather hose off etc ) then the lower air flow through the MAF will tell the ecu to put less fuel in.

By disconnecting the MAF the engine ecu goes into a safe sub program that ignores the needed signal from the maf and uses other engine sensors to calculate the required fuel

if nothing is obvious check wiring for points where it could rub or where it moves a lot as this can cause breaks in the wiring due to fatigue.
Old May 26th, 2020, 23:44   #5
Baal

Check your intercooler hoses even the one under the engine, check your air duct (over the engine) and a resonator hose. Also check the intercooler for cracks.
Baal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 12:44   #6
moes80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashracing View Post
Same trouble code ?

is all the the inlet pipework leak free, as if the engine is drawing in air form an easier source ( breather hose off etc ) then the lower air flow through the MAF will tell the ecu to put less fuel in.

By disconnecting the MAF the engine ecu goes into a safe sub program that ignores the needed signal from the maf and uses other engine sensors to calculate the required fuel

if nothing is obvious check wiring for points where it could rub or where it moves a lot as this can cause breaks in the wiring due to fatigue.
Hi Bashracing,

Do you know what the purpose of the needle in the MAP is? I took mine off to clean and the needle was missing so ordered another one. Car use to run just fine, is it possible for the MAP to operate correctly without the needle?
Still waiting for new bits to arrive, but am worried that the absence of the needle may be helping the car to run smoothly and once I fit the new MAP it will start complaining

Sorry just realised your talking about the MAF and I'm talking about the MAP. If you know the purpose of the needle on the MAP feel free to enlighten

Last edited by moes80; May 31st, 2020 at 13:01.
moes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 12:57   #7
moes80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashracing View Post
Same trouble code ?

as above

Last edited by moes80; May 31st, 2020 at 13:01.
moes80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2020, 18:15   #8
Pandamedic
Master Member

I had a simliar issue on my xc60.. kept juddering here and there on acceleration. Plugged it into my cheapo OBD reader and it was saying error with the MAF. Can't remember the code sorry. Took mine to volvo who had a look for me. Turned out to be a fault with one of the wires to the MAF sensor. MAF was fine. £100 odd later all fixed.
Old May 31st, 2020, 22:22   #9
bashracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by moes80 View Post
Hi Bashracing,

Sorry just realised your talking about the MAF and I'm talking about the MAP. If you know the purpose of the needle on the MAP feel free to enlighten

it's just differences in manufacture,
simplifying it a bit the map sensor just has a diaphragm inside with a silicone chip that turns the movment of the diaphragm into a signal that the ecu can work out the engine load through vacuum or boost pressure
Old Aug 5th, 2022, 19:36   #10
alldonein1

I know it's a bit late but the auto electicians fixed it it 30 minutes. It was a break in one of the wires
alldonein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alldonein1 For This Useful Post: