Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how many of you have suffered AWD system issues?

Views : 84671

Replies : 331

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: HAVE YOU EXPERIENCED ANY AWD ISSUES
YES I HAVE HAD AWD ISSUES 231 53.35%
NO I HAVE NOT HAD AWD ISSUES 202 46.65%
Voters: 433. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 27th, 2010, 21:28   #21
niguk68

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshadow325 View Post
currently in the proccess of securing a haldex from a 08 vw r32 for $100. it will come with all the electrics from the AOC. i will have both unit side by side for a comparison. dont think i will try to use the dem itself but the other sensors look the same from the pictures. so far there are two sensors and one pump and one controller. changed the pressure sensor for $100USD and still got a DEM 0006 code and a DEM0007 code after the first test drive. i will check again today for the codes and see it it cleared over night
Hi, how did you get the codes, have you got a scanner?
I have Dem dtc set from the reset/ fog light check and no AWD. Prop spins as it should. Sounds like I have the exact same problem as you.
I had the front of mine jacked up on 2 trolley jacks expecting the car to try and move forward on the jacks. No such look both front wheels spinning like crazy and no attempt at moving forward. I have ordered some oil and a filter from local volvo dealer and was going to get the wife to try and get them to read the codes on Monday when she picks it up.
niguk68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 14:03   #22
gshadow325
Volvo NUT

Got a bar pockets diagnostic tool. My update. No 0007 or 0006 codes any more. Pressure sensor changed and pump .changed. parts were from a 2008vw r32. Same parts. Worked. Like a charm.
gshadow325 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gshadow325 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 13:11   #23
y2blade
Premier Member

Quote:
Got a bar pockets diagnostic tool. My update. No 0007 or 0006 codes any more. Pressure sensor changed and pump .changed. parts were from a 2008vw r32. Same parts. Worked. Like a charm.

I'm glad to hear that
y2blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 09:43   #24
gassergrice

Default XC 90 2wd not AWD

Yes my 05 stuck in about 3cm of snow. Had it for 3 months. Front wheels spinning and no rear wheel action.Awaiting assessment from the Stealership...whwn I can get it out of the snow.
Craig
gassergrice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gassergrice For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 19:51   #25
sisut

my late 2003 D5 has no rear drive (found out only after wife and children stuck in snow and noticed only front wheels spinning). Obviously not pleased that Volvo, making cars for so long for the Swedish winters, haven't the capacity to warn drivers that they don't have AWD...and yet I have warnings for the most USELESS other stuff! Car booked into Volvo dealership tomorrow for diagnosis. Simon
sisut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sisut For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2010, 21:35   #26
niguk68

Quote:
I have searched for the Bar pocket reader you said you have but can't find it anywhere. Is it a hand held device or software on a pda or laptop? and who makes it. I just bought one of the bluetooth elm327 interfaces and it will only do engine ecu modules. I rearly need to get my awd sorted and don't want to pay a stealer.
Old Dec 13th, 2010, 02:01   #27
gshadow325
Volvo NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by niguk68 View Post
I have searched for the Bar pocket reader you said you have but can't find it anywhere. Is it a hand held device or software on a pda or laptop? and who makes it. I just bought one of the bluetooth elm327 interfaces and it will only do engine ecu modules. I rearly need to get my awd sorted and don't want to pay a stealer.
stupid spell check on my cell phone! i have a BSR PPC Diagnostic hand held scan tool
gshadow325 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gshadow325 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 14th, 2010, 21:55   #28
niguk68

Smile AWD Fixed.

I bought a BSR on flebay night before last for £300.00. I got it today plugged it in read and noted codes (27 in all most small items), erased codes switched ignition off and on and guess what I could hear the AOC pump start up. Took for a test drive on the last bit of snow I could find here in the U.k and it was working fine. I plan to drop the oil at the weekend and fit a new filter. I will take photos when I do it.
The DEM code was 000B which is oil pressure. I filled the AOC with quite a lot of oil a couple of weeks ago, considering it only holds 300mls it must have been nearly dry. I guess the unit shut down to protect it. My car has done 54000 Miles so if you own an XC70 or XC90 I would advise you to check the oil and do the filter as Volvo don't on any service or get somone to do it for you if its not for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to niguk68 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 13:47   #29
bakerman

Pretty convinced mine wasnt working (03 Diesel) when purchased 15months ago but didnt let it bother me - had it confimed in the snow on the driveway this Christmas that the front wheels can happily spin all day without any sign of life at the back end!
Strange thing, with new chunky tyres and all that weight over the front wheels not once did it feel like there was a problem in the snow and ice, even traversed some roads where others were easily getting stuck...(those useless-in-the-snow RWD vehicles that shall remain nameless)

Now - if my rear wheels are not being driven does this go part of the way to explaining why I get such great fuel economy on decent runs? 35-40mpg is not a problem on cross-country/motorway roads....typically 30 on school runs/town driving? Would appreciate anyones opinion on that?

As for getting it fixed - currently dont feel the need to as I live in the S.East and am not aware that I am harming the vehicle? or am I ?
regards.
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bakerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 14:56   #30
Ron_XC90
Master Member

It has been mentioned before that cars suffering the AWD failure, show an improvement in mpg, which makes sense I guess.

I think the main thing affected by not having AWD are the safety features like stability/traction/rollover control as it depends on the AWD system to work
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron_XC90 For This Useful Post: