Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 07 model year Rattly top end

Views : 5902

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2015, 22:32   #11
Horton

The effect has been dramatic... Before I replaced these parts the engine was really clattery, and there was a deep throbbing coming from the air filter box. Awful, and the car sounded sick, although still actually drove really well. Now it's a different car, lovely and quiet, no more throbbing and runs like a Swiss watch.... Pricey though, followers are approx £12 each, and followers are £16... You'll need 20 of each... . You'll also need a new gasket, 5 injector seals and the obligatory oil and filter change. Hopefully I'll see an improvement in fuel consumption (or my good lady is going to be a bit miffed!)
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Horton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 18:46   #12
ccieuk

Hi Horton,

Any updates on the Lifters and Rockers?
I have the same problem on a D5 185 Euro 4 engine in a 2006 V70.

Where did you source the parts?
Do you know what make the Lifters and Rockers where?

TIA
ccieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 19:00   #13
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Yes an update would be nice, I've considered my engine may have tired lifters as I get the tug boat sound round the air box sometimes, it may also be the egr....
I'm going to do a full oil flush soon and I'm hoping that may improve things.
However, it's nowhere bad enough to justify a top end rebuild yet!
Is a top end rebuild a home mechanic job or is it a bit too involved?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2016, 19:08   #14
ccieuk

For reference the mileage is 137,000 Miles.
ccieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2016, 20:45   #15
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Update - further investigation has revealed some rather tired lifters and also really worn rocker bearings - everything looks fine otherwise, so I've ordered complete set of lifters and rockers - over £400 worth.... Hopefully should result in a nice quiet engine.
The rocker bearings had stacks of wear in them, so they would definetly have contributed to the noise. I think I'll run it on 0w40 fully synth for the first change and then back to Edge for the next change.
It's interesting to note the fuel consumption wasn't great, so I'm hoping that improves once the engine is back to health. Only tine will tell on that one though.
I know it is too late for you but it might help others SKANDIX supplied a full set of lifters and rockers for much less.... the parts were exactly the same as the ones removed and I strongly suspect that they were OEM..

Whilst I still have electronic, and possibly injector issues with my 300k km engine the silence from the top end is amazing....

Regards
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 00:08   #16
luggsey

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...ifter/1022964/

It's a dogs life!

Old Jul 25th, 2016, 06:49   #17
doolie

Do you need to change all the lifters and followers ? What other parts are required to do this job ? Has anyone done it and could you do a write up as this seems to be a common problem.

Thanks
doolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 10:07   #18
JimG
Premier Member

I'm pleased this thread has come up. For a while now I've thought my '07 XC90 D5 has been a bit clattery, and I also have that throbbing noise. No one else believed me!

I was hoping the oil change at its last service would help, but it hasn't.

How easy is it for someone to check the lifters and bearings? Is it a case of only knowing once they're all stripped out?

What are people's thoughts on switching away from Volvo's recommendation of 0W30 to 0W40?

I read on another forum that sometimes the lifters can just be sticky, and it's worth trying a decent oil additive like LiquiMoly first to see if that helps.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 10:12   #19
luggsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I'm pleased this thread has come up. For a while now I've thought my '07 XC90 D5 has been a bit clattery, and I also have that throbbing noise. No one else believed me!

I was hoping the oil change at its last service would help, but it hasn't.

How easy is it for someone to check the lifters and bearings? Is it a case of only knowing once they're all stripped out?

What are people's thoughts on switching away from Volvo's recommendation of 0W30 to 0W40?

I read on another forum that sometimes the lifters can just be sticky, and it's worth trying a decent oil additive like LiquiMoly first to see if that helps.
I was reading up a large suppliers site who described in detail all sorts of top end faults and for almost all faults they recommend flushing the engine oil as well as changing parts. Top end oiling problems cause so many faults!
I'm going to liquimoly flush mine first and go from there.
Agree a write up on this job would be great!

It's a dogs life!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luggsey For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 19:49   #20
osullivant

The full procedure is in Haynes. But in simple terms it is as follows. This is for a 185....

Remove the two parts of the engine cover and the PVC pipe that crosses over the engine. Pull this off at the connection near the turbo.

Remove injectors pipes wires etc to get intake manifold off.

Remove injection pump and vacuum pump.

Do a knack with the timing belt to hold it in place so you can remove the timing belt from the cam shaft pulley. Bear in mind that the camshaft pulley is bolted through slotted holes. . There are marks on the cogs that drive the second cam shaft which need to be aligned. I put these together and marked the timing belt and put tie wraps on the belt to keep it snugged up with string against the crank shaft timing pulley and prior to releasing the tension and removing the camshaft pulley.

At this stage you can see the entire of the cam shafts.

Open the bolts holding the aluminium castings on both ends.

Open the bolts keeping the cam shafts in place by loosening them all a little at a time.

Lift out the camshafts the lifters and rockers are just sitting there loose. A magnet helps to get the bits out.

Photograph as you go and put everything back as it was.

In theory you must change the injector seals clips, bolts, fuel pipes, manifold gasket. I would suggest a brave person can get by bending the injector clips. Replacing the copper seals, and the manifold gasket. I would also suggest new flap valves. Mine leak since I replaced things and I will definitely replace them the next time I take the manifold off.

I would have a 6mm helicoil set and battery drill on standby for the injectors and a torque wrench.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to osullivant For This Useful Post: