Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Pain in the seat pad!

Views : 11552

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2019, 19:44   #1
TimCarter

Default Pain in the seat pad!

I have a V90 CC Pro and the bar inside front of the seat pad, just before the gap to the leg extenders, is killing me. It is so uncomfortable. I have seen the need to play with the seat adjustments but nothing is helping. The seat base is thin, hard, and uncomfortable as the wire pushes right up, and across, the sitting bones in my backside.

The Inscription seat pad was apparently changed in early 2018 to make it more rigid, this by installing an internal strengthening wire inside the edges of the base seat pad. I have the design change document showing this, and I'm sure it is what I am feeling. It seems to be the same in the R-Design seats.

Volvo is saying there is nothing wrong with the seat, even though my car has been in the garage for 6 weeks and the local dealer agrees the problem is clearly there.

I have asked for Momentum seats to be installed, but they say I have to trade my car for a Momentum model instead. Can only think I need to get my money back.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?
TimCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 20:53   #2
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
I have a V90 CC Pro and the bar inside front of the seat pad, just before the gap to the leg extenders, is killing me. It is so uncomfortable. I have seen the need to play with the seat adjustments but nothing is helping. The seat base is thin, hard, and uncomfortable as the wire pushes right up, and across, the sitting bones in my backside.

The Inscription seat pad was apparently changed in early 2018 to make it more rigid, this by installing an internal strengthening wire inside the edges of the base seat pad. I have the design change document showing this, and I'm sure it is what I am feeling. It seems to be the same in the R-Design seats.

Volvo is saying there is nothing wrong with the seat, even though my car has been in the garage for 6 weeks and the local dealer agrees the problem is clearly there.

I have asked for Momentum seats to be installed, but they say I have to trade my car for a Momentum model instead. Can only think I need to get my money back.

Is anyone else having a similar problem?
Ive got the pro seats and dont have this problem, wonder if the CC is different?

The bit thats digging into you is the bit just before the joint to the extending bit at the front? I drive with it right in as Ive an odd driving position, maybe that masks it.

My car was built April 2018.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 21:45   #3
Tresco85

I can fully understand your problem as we have been through the same problem after having the car about 6 months which was a year ago and we had the same talks with the dealer who said they couldn’t put the basic seats in and we would have to spend another £5,000 to change to a momentum and spec it up to an inscription pro but they don’t do a momentum in a D5 so in the end we got some gell seat cushions from Costco which have been working reasonably well. We are away at the moment and the last couple of days I have tried again without the cushion and again it is still very uncomfortable so the seat cushion is going back in.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 22:28   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
I can fully understand your problem as we have been through the same problem after having the car about 6 months which was a year ago and we had the same talks with the dealer who said they couldn’t put the basic seats in and we would have to spend another £5,000 to change to a momentum and spec it up to an inscription pro but they don’t do a momentum in a D5 so in the end we got some gell seat cushions from Costco which have been working reasonably well. We are away at the moment and the last couple of days I have tried again without the cushion and again it is still very uncomfortable so the seat cushion is going back in.
Looks like I have the identical model to you.......and yes, when I first got this car with it’s all singing set of motors that adjust every bit of the seat in every different direction - initially I made the classic setup mistake of extending the front seat cushion as far forward as it would go (Why - because it was my 1st car with electric front cushions!).
Only took me a day to realise that this setup caused that metal bar to press into my lower thigh, so being only 5ft 9in I soon retracted that cushion to only a small gap of c ½ in.........and my confidence in Volvo seats as being world class for comfort was rapidly restored.

I hope this helps - it does take time to get your perfect setting but try to ignore that cushion by retracting it all the way in as your starting position.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:35   #5
TimCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief inspector View Post
Ive got the pro seats and dont have this problem, wonder if the CC is different?

The bit thats digging into you is the bit just before the joint to the extending bit at the front? I drive with it right in as Ive an odd driving position, maybe that masks it.

My car was built April 2018.
Hi, the issue is with the Inscription seats, the Momentum seats seem to be just fine. I have tried the extending section in, out, halfway, everywhere, no better. Fully in is clearly the best position so therefore of no real use, and the bar is still pressing into me. I have been asking for them to downgrade my seats to the Momentum spec, but Volvo are saying they cannot do that. Although not explaining why.

Last edited by TimCarter; Jun 26th, 2019 at 10:38.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:45   #6
TimCarter

I know some people have no problems, but many others do. Indeed, the guys working in the Volvo dealership understand, and experience, exactly what I am talking about; but Volvo are not offering any suggestion, in fact the opposite. It does seem like the height and weight of the driver makes a difference. I am 6'1" and 13st, and my physique seems to be a problem for the seat. This is so frustrating, a £50k car that is becoming a nightmare to drive because of a badly designed seat pad!
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 11:26   #7
tricky13

have a r-design xc60 and when i first got it i extended the leg support cushions - and yep the bar dug into my lower thighs. tried and tried to put up with it but i coudlnt anymore so just shut the extension and its been fine ever since. a shame its designed so poorly
tricky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:34   #8
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCarter View Post
Hi, the issue is with the Inscription seats, the Momentum seats seem to be just fine. I have tried the extending section in, out, halfway, everywhere, no better. Fully in is clearly the best position so therefore of no real use, and the bar is still pressing into me. I have been asking for them to downgrade my seats to the Momentum spec, but Volvo are saying they cannot do that. Although not explaining why.
The Momentum Pro has different seats to the Momentum, they are the full power adjustable memory ones with the extending bolster. The Momentum doesn’t have any length adjustment so those are safe in that there is just a single cushion at the front.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 16:29   #9
mr rusty

Quote:
those are safe in that there is just a single cushion at the front.
And very comfortable they are too, but I think this may only apply if you have shortish legs like me. I tried the inscription and momentum and didn't really like the extending cushion, although I didn't notice any discomfort. I do many long trips and comfort is paramount - I also hate side bolsters and prefer a flatish seat. Interesting thread - It wasn't a huge factor when I picked the car, but sounds like I made the right choice for me.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 18:41   #10
TimCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tresco85 View Post
Hi, can you send me a picture, or some other details, of the Costco Gel Seat cushions to see if I can one?

Thank you.

Tags
gel, inscription, pain, seat, uncomfortable