Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Main dealer cambelt change and major service cost

Views : 20598

Replies : 54

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2020, 07:41   #21
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Curious which main dealer and Indy you found for these.

Coming up to 6 years next month....but still under 80k miles - a combination of using our Kona EV more these days, plus COVID: getting about 3 weeks per gallon on the Volvo

Pretty sure the main dealer told me I happily/safely consider leaving them another year when I’m nearer 90k Miles.....might put that expense off another year...
I was definitely advised on this course of action in Febuary by my local Volvo dealership at service number 6 (@82k miles) - the only caveat on this was unless I thought I'd go well over 90k miles before the next service (which I said not)... as things have turned out, I've so far done less than 2k miles and may even get away with it for another year!

I don't see why replacing the aux belt(s) on the VEA engine is so critical? I understand the need on the older 5-cylinder engine where aux belt failure can lead to cam belt breakage, but this is not an issue on the VEA.

This thread has become a slightly jumbled mess where non-VEA owners have been contributing.
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 08:34   #22
Mick787

I have recently changed which main dealership I use, but in the same area. As a result of this, I had to change the service plan I had. Changing the plan provider and extending it has resulted in the monthly price dropping by over £10 per month.
I fully accept the engine in my car is the old 5 cylinder version.
For the information of any interested members this new plan has the cam belt change factored into it. Something I requested. It is listed that the service and cam belt change for me at today's prices would be £794.99, this is planned in to be done in 4 years time. It should be well under mileage spec's but I'd rather be safe than sorry. A service with an auxiliary belt is priced in at £410.
I also accept that dealership rates differ around the Country.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 01:38   #23
Fimac

To update this, just checked with my local guy, and he will do this for £400 with the genuine kit. D4. he has done belt changes on my previous cars.
Aux belt included with a water pump change.
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 10:29   #24
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimac View Post
To update this, just checked with my local guy, and he will do this for £400 with the genuine kit. D4. he has done belt changes on my previous cars.
why overcharge you by £100 for water puimp? and what is he fitting , a non volvo one?
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 00:21   #25
Yorkshire2160

Default Cam belt and service cost

Had my cam belt and aux belt and all tensioners done at main dealers today £595
Yorkshire2160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 00:23   #26
Yorkshire2160

Default Service

Just to ad volvo water pump is lifetime guarantee and are not changed on timing belt change.
Yorkshire2160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yorkshire2160 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 07:28   #27
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire2160 View Post
Had my cam belt and aux belt and all tensioners done at main dealers today £595
Is that a D4 ‘newer’ engine?
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 09:14   #28
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fimac View Post
Hes not very good value if he is charging you for a water pump you don't need.

I would be concerned as to how familiar he really is with these motors if he is slapping on a new pump as a matter of course. Volvo do not programme a replacement in at belt change time (and you can bet your pension that they would if there was the slightest need to do so and they could make a profit from it) and anything other than an OE pump is going to be far weaker than the item your clever man has just thrown in the bin.

You have just learned first hand the difference between "cheap" and "good value".
Old May 7th, 2022, 00:00   #29
Tizwoz

Default D6 Plugin hybrid belts change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toprivetguns View Post
Has anyone performed a cambelt + waterpump change themselves?

I'm very hands on and would like to give this a go obviously using the correct tooling. I have VIDA, hence this should give me a good guide. I can only assume its the little tricks of the trade that would obviously hinder the time it takes.

I just did my V60 D6 plugin hybrid cambelt. It was a very time consuming job. Due to the position of the high voltage cables which run between the engine and the wing right in front of the cambelt access is challenging. I changed the water pump in addition to both belts.

The auxiliary belt drives the high voltage starter generator using a standard belt as used on other D5 engines and the timing belt, idlers and tensioner are the same as usual so parts aren't expensive.

VIDA doesn't make clear that it's necessary to remove the auxiliary belt tensioner bolt in order to get enough slack to get the auxilliary belt onto the pulleys.

Being retired taking two days wasn't a problem.

There's scant description of working on electric vehicles as yet on youtube but as things are moving in that direction perhaps they'll arrive before too long.

I changed the belts due to the ten year age rather than mileage. The engine has done 80,000 miles whereas the car has done 106,000. This no doubt explains the good fuel economy also.

Last edited by Tizwoz; May 7th, 2022 at 00:04.
Tizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2022, 11:48   #30
RDesign4Life
Master Member

It's long established good engineering practice on any engine to replace the water pump at the same time as the cam belt. This is simply a pro-active preventative maintenance activity as most of the labour involved in a water pump change is needed as part of the belt and tensioners swap so the extra cost of doing it at the same time is virtually parts only.

Most cars will only have one maybe 2 belt changes in their lifetime so makes sense to not have to do a failed water pump out of step with belt changes.

Of course some engines have easier access to these jobs so the case for the preventative maintenance can differ to a degree depending on the car.

It's a matter of choice at the end of the day but as an Engineer I would say it's a big ask of a water pump's bearings/impeller and seal to go to the 2nd cambelt change interval (which I'm guessing could be 12 years or 180k miles) without failing.

Of course Volvo won't care about your water pump failing in between cam belt changes - why would they?

Last edited by RDesign4Life; May 7th, 2022 at 11:50.
RDesign4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RDesign4Life For This Useful Post: