Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 internal coolant loss - gasket or cracked block ?

Views : 3776

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2022, 17:02   #21
Simmy
Premier Member

yes it would as the coolant cannot circulate all through the system also consider a water pump failiure iv seen impellers fall completely of the shaft or get mangled if a non volvo pump has been fitted. both might be worth a .look. stopleak can also block the bottom of the radiator and its impossible to flush out as it sets solid
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 17:45   #22
skv70d5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
yes it would as the coolant cannot circulate all through the system also consider a water pump failiure iv seen impellers fall completely of the shaft or get mangled if a non volvo pump has been fitted. both might be worth a .look. stopleak can also block the bottom of the radiator and its impossible to flush out as it sets solid
It is worth looking into; however, as my temp has always remained at 90 degrees Celsius, I do not think its the cause as otherwise it would be overheating like you said.

I have found that although my coolant does not seem to contain any exhaust gases, if I put a rubber glove over the exposed engine oil filler and then turn the engine on, instead of it being slightly sucked in due to negative pressure it was blown up into a gloved form. Also, if I remove the dipstick when the engine is running and the oil filler cap is on, I see exhaust fumes escaping.
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 10:32   #23
mcjongs

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by skv70d5 View Post
It is worth looking into; however, as my temp has always remained at 90 degrees Celsius, I do not think its the cause as otherwise it would be overheating like you said.

I have found that although my coolant does not seem to contain any exhaust gases, if I put a rubber glove over the exposed engine oil filler and then turn the engine on, instead of it being slightly sucked in due to negative pressure it was blown up into a gloved form. Also, if I remove the dipstick when the engine is running and the oil filler cap is on, I see exhaust fumes escaping.
Hi from Norway!
Interesting tread! I have an issue too with pressure in the coolant /expansion tank on my 2015 XC70 D524T17 (D5 Diesel)
I think a certain pressure from the crank house through your oil filler is normal if the engine has some considerable mileage (sign of some wear on piston rings/liner) On a new engine it will pulsate between vacuum and a small pressure (pistons going up and down) to about no pressure to be built up.

I have an appointment coming Monday with local Volvo dealer to measure CO in the coolant to determine it being an internal combustion gas leak into the coolant.

What I discovered was that the red coolant level lamp started to flash in the dash.. which is kind of normal once a year as the park heater ''uses'' a litte coolant but adding 1-2 dl of coolant has always been enough for another year. This time the pressure did not disappear normally when taking of the filler cap but continued with fluid flooding out through the tank filler opening
for maybe 30 seconds. Normally you can slightly open to take out the pressure and then open fully but not this time. Also when reving up the engine with the cap off I can see white gas bobbles entering into the tank. Also with the cap on the radiator hoses ar stone hard after a minute or so. No high temperature issues though..

Yes, it is a potential costly repair, we are talking about more than 100.000,- Nok. if it is a cracked block. If it is only the head gasket, in which I'm not accepting before I have seen it, it will be maybe 20.000,- or so but luckily I have an insurance covering damages to the drive line and engine so I only have to pay deductible of 12.000,-

With a milage of 150.000km I find this issue a little strange. My previous 2010 XC70 had also an issue with the HG but that was covered by the warranty. (quality issue on one series with HG from a supplier)

I will require to be present when the insurance company representant approve the damage rate and inspect for cracks my self.

I'll try to keep you posted.

Jon
mcjongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2022, 16:47   #24
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imck View Post
Thanks. So do you think there could be an external leak and the Volvo dealer plus an independent garage could have failed to find it ?
How did your story end?
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 13:25   #25
mcjongs

Smile I got new engine from insurance company

Uppdate!

Yes, finally I got my car back. It took nearly 2 months but after some heavy arguments both from Volvo Dealer and me insurance Cpy. accepted the damage report from the dealer inclusive new engine (Value 15.000 Euro). It has been said that you are not supposed to earn from an insurance incident.. and hence the insurance Cpy. first offered an used engine from a car wrecker.. The thing is:

O- It has been issued a Service Notification from Volvo to the dealers about possibility for cracks in some engines.. This is secret info from Volvo not supposed to be shared! I was not interested in a new situation with an used engine.

O- I asked for full traceability on the used engine they offered.. service book, WIN nr to check history.. maybe not so easy to obtain??

O- Volvo dealer was not interested in taking warranty responsibility from an un authorized car wrecking Cpy.

I think these arguments lead to me getting a new engine. :-)

The cost of it?? for me it was not too bad.. I had coverage for rental car expenses (that I did not use) for 30 days 25Euro/day so withdrawal of this from the deductible I was left with paying 450 Euro for all and that is not bad for a new engine.

Enclosed is a picture from the cracked cylinder.
2015 Volvo D4 163HP (D5) engine. D524T17

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Volvo D4 engine crack 20221208_135004.jpg (314.4 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by mcjongs; Jan 16th, 2023 at 13:31.
mcjongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 21:20   #26
Simmy
Premier Member

well done with your result. iv never seen any damage to a volvo engine like that before
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant loss, cracked block, cracked liner, head gasket