Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stalls Once each trip

Views : 1278

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2022, 17:29   #1
ScottS70
Patience

Default Stalls Once each trip

Unique Symptoms, My 98 S70 2.4L stalls once each time I take it out. It stalls within the first 5minutes of the drive, it will restart then drive normally the rest of the trip. I've cleaned the idle control valve the throttle body the mass airflow sensor. If this car had a carburetor it would definitely be a choke issue. I still feel it has something to do with the idle control valve. The usual scenario is after the first mile or so as you approach a stop or are coasting foot off the gas you start to accelerate it stutters and stalls.
Old Mar 28th, 2022, 21:53   #2
Pupbelly

Coolant temperature sensor which is causing a quirk as it reaches temperature creating a stall until you restart?

Last edited by Pupbelly; Mar 28th, 2022 at 21:55.
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pupbelly For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2022, 22:00   #3
ScottS70
Patience

That is an interesting thought I had not considered, I wonder if unplugging the coolant temp sensor would work as a test
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 13:26   #4
Pupbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS70 View Post
That is an interesting thought I had not considered, I wonder if unplugging the coolant temp sensor would work as a test
It was just a thought, I've no experience on a T5 with this situation but it seems a logical possibility. Fingers crossed!
Pupbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 18:12   #5
Distendo

I have a similar issue.

I replaced the coolant temperature sensor some while ago, as part of a bigger job (cylinder head refurb). Since that work covered a lot of components, I haven't been able to determine what may be causing the issue. However, I notice it usually happens (if ever) when the car has been standing for an hour or two after being driven, so the engine temperature has dropped, but not to 'cold'. So I had been wondering if it was something to do with the temperature sensor.

Volvo couldn't get me a Volvo original (long wait), so I had to use a 3rd party unit. Now I'm wondering whether I should try Volvo again, see if they can supply one.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 21:24   #6
Distendo

Update: recently replaced the temp sensor with a Volvo original. On first run seemed to be some improvement, but 'stuttered' three times when under mild throttle, but picked up again, I suppose because it was in motion (about 25mph) and so some torque from the front wheels got through the torque converter and kept the engine turning long enough for whatever to clear.
Am taking it to my local indie in a couple of days to check for fault codes.
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 21:30   #7
Distendo

An update here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...02#post2836402
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 22:40   #8
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distendo View Post
That takes you straight back to this thread????

Why not just post the update here?
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 03:12   #9
xco
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS70 View Post
Unique Symptoms, My 98 S70 2.4L stalls once each time I take it out. It stalls within the first 5minutes of the drive, it will restart then drive normally the rest of the trip. I've cleaned the idle control valve the throttle body the mass airflow sensor. If this car had a carburetor it would definitely be a choke issue. I still feel it has something to do with the idle control valve. The usual scenario is after the first mile or so as you approach a stop or are coasting foot off the gas you start to accelerate it stutters and stalls.
I've just had same thing happen on my xc90 a couple of months ago.Everything would die and leave me stranded but would start again in a couple of minutes if switched off and left.
No faults recorded in system on OBD11 when read or warning lights on dash .

Long story short my indie tech diagnosed by experience with no technology help that it was the Crank sensor a £30.00 item replaced and fine now.

Previous experience of faults is always the best remedy in the end.

Hope this helps
Wherever you go............There you are!!!

Last edited by xco; Jul 27th, 2022 at 03:18.
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 18:53   #10
capt jack
VOC Member

Our S70 did something a bit similar - stuttered but never stalled. I fitted new leads, air filter, cleaned the plugs, fitted a new dissy cap and rotor (the car has the Fenix system), and although it all helped a bit the odd stutter was still there. In the end a new fuel filter completely cured the problem.

The car has around 230,000 miles on the clock and so is generally forgiven the odd little foible!

One thing I have learnt in owning more than a dozen Volvo cars over 30 years, and totalling probably close to 750,000 miles, is that when odd running problems do crop up it's usually something fairly basic and simple.

None of my Volvos has been newer than 2000, the oldest a 1972 model. The best cars have definitely been a 1997 V70 (300,000 miles and sold, going on to do 330,000) and the 1998 S70 (230,000 and still going strong). Relatively mechanically simple, pretty easy to work on, and very reliable and long-lived.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post: