Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Danish embassy 940

Views : 23373

Replies : 247

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2022, 11:00   #71
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

The first of the big deliveries has started to arrive. Parcel number one from FRF -

That doesn't look like nigh on £400 does it?!

Unfortunately even FRF do something stupid every now and then - someone sealed and packed this gasket in this condition. It was under a larger box and everything was well padded, so it didn't move around in transit - it was definitely packed when it was clearly broken in half

So I won't be cleaning the throttle body this weekend!

Plenty of other jobs to be done now though - I have the timing belt, aux belts, all coolant hoses, coolant reservoir, coolant level guard, oil filter, sump washer, HT leads, fuel filter... the list goes on. I also have plenty of various size hoses in the garage to replace all the vacuum hoses, some of which are looking perished.

The heritage parts shipment from Sweden due at the end of the month will include both temperature sensors and the accelerator cable. I also have a new 100A Bosch alternator coming from Germany as I couldn't find one anywhere in the UK. As previously mentioned, the one fitted is incorrect (I think its a 60A one from a 740), so getting it reconditioned wasn't an option.

I'm also buying a set of alloy wheels to replace the Aries ones fitted. I know that will anger some people, but it takes ages cleaning them properly as I suspected. I'm buying some Adhara 15" wheels, which are period correct and still look the part - they're not a 'sports' wheel by any stretch of the imagination so don't change the look of the car too much, but they are much easier to keep clean!

And that will pretty much be the end of the spending spree, thank goodness! Just got the radio left to sort out. I think the post purchase parts bill is around £1500, but the car will be mechanically A1 and will be a jump-in-and-go-anywhere car again, with new car reliability. Is it economically viable to do this? Probably not, but its a keeper and I'm looking at longevity and reliability - and from that perspective it definitely is.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 11:59   #72
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I can't rate FRF Swansea enough - the heritage parts that I ordered from them which were due at the end of the month have just been delivered! To say it caught me by surprise is an understatement... I kicked the two hookers out of the bedroom window as I thought SWMBO had come home early!

Seriously though, its incredible service considering I sent an identical email asking for a quote for these parts to 3 main dealers, and the other 2 said the parts were NLA...

So, I now have a new RHD accelerator cable, and both coolant temp sensors in my parts stach. Looks like I'm going to be very busy this weekend, weather permitting!

The broken throttle body gasket is being replaced immediately, no issues with that, although is it a bit frustrating that at was apparently sent like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 12:14   #73
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
I can't rate FRF Swansea enough - the heritage parts that I ordered from them which were due at the end of the month have just been delivered! To say it caught me by surprise is an understatement... I kicked the two hookers out of the bedroom window as I thought SWMBO had come home early!

Seriously though, its incredible service considering I sent an identical email asking for a quote for these parts to 3 main dealers, and the other 2 said the parts were NLA...

So, I now have a new RHD accelerator cable, and both coolant temp sensors in my parts stach. Looks like I'm going to be very busy this weekend, weather permitting!

The broken throttle body gasket is being replaced immediately, no issues with that, although is it a bit frustrating that at was apparently sent like that.
They are very good at FRF ! Although when I asked them about the engine coolant temp sensor ( the one for the ecu ) last year I was told it was NLA ? Perhaps it was out of stock at the time
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 13:47   #74
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Did the timing belt at the weekend, and replaced the HT leads - they were dated 1995... All the belts looked original too - and very cracked! Its incredible how the 900s keep running so well on 20+ year knackered old parts.

The timing belt was a PITA as all the ancillary bolts were so tight and rusty. Got there in the end but it took all weekend, and the end result? Its not running straight, so I'll have to pull it all off again as I can hear it rubbing against the timing belt cover - I suspect the tensioner bolt needs re-torqueing correctly. At least the bolts should loosen more easily this time. I won't have the time to do that for a few weeks, but I'm not in any rush as I have the 850R as the daily.

In the meantime, I've been spending some more pennies. The biggest expenditure first - a new DAB/bluetooth radio. Its a Kienzle branded unit. Mostly unknown over here, but the Mercedes W126 crowd love them.

Fully featured, but nice and cleanly styled, without the glitzy multi-coloured 'look at me' lights

As the 940 is pre-wired for parcel shelf speakers (and they make a big difference), I've jumped on a pair of original grey speaker covers. Had to buy them from the US, but needs must. I'll sort out the speakers themselves at a later date - I'm tempted to renew them all tbh. Not fitting a different amplifier, just some fresher speakers as the ones fitted are old and dull - and one door speaker isn't working at all.

I've also bought a pair of used but good condition front mudflaps which should look ok after a wash and revive with Wurth's Plastic Trim Dye. I don't suppose anyone has a good pair of REAR 940 saloon mudflaps for sale?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 17:17   #75
Forrest
VOC Member

Last time I looked mud flaps for the 940 were still available new.

Front 9166457
Rear (4-door) 9134335
Rear (5-door) 9134332

Might be worth getting back on to Rufe.

If you're looking for new or replacement speakers, it's worth looking at component suppliers such as CPC/Farnell. They generally have quite a good range of shapes/sizes of speaker which are more likely to fit under legacy speaker covers than the ones with super-sized coils and integral tweeters that seem popular in the car audio world these days. They are also likely to be much cheaper.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 09:02   #76
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Thanks Forrest. I thought the mudflaps were genuinely NLA? I'll drop Rufe a line to check - probably should have done that first lol. The front mudflaps only cost me £20 and seem to be in good condition so I'm happy with that purchase, but I'd like the matching rears.

Good call on the speakers. I was going to look at Infinity speakers as they seem to be the ones fitted over in the US (where most of the stereo upgrade write-ups occur). Definitely worth seeing what CPC have on offer though, thanks.

NB I've seen the pair of 960 shelf speakers on sale on eBay. They'd be the easiest option as they're factory originals, but the seller wouldn't budge from £120 which I think is a bit steep for 20 year old speakers - which will also be sounding a bit flat by now.

As an aside, and this will surprise many of you I'm sure, I had a wobble about keeping this car. There is an S90 Royal for sale on eBay for just £4k. Its a Japanese import so will be rust free, and has very low mileage. It looks to be in very good order, and is super clean.

But a few discoveries held me back - firstly there is a large dent in one of the extended rear doors, and zooming into some of the pics you can see some paint damage to the offside and rear bumper, so maybe £1k to spend there. Plus the MoT history shows the Nivomats are misting - so they'll need to be replaced soon. Being a heavy LWB version, and being built in very small numbers (some research suggested a total of 1100 sold worldwide) I doubt they're available even as Heritage parts, so the new owner will have to look at coilovers as that would be the only option available I guess. So another £1k there perhaps. And then there is the insurance which is probably going to be prohibitive - any damage to those rear doors and you're looking at a professional classic car restoration place (think Fuzz) to rebuild them = ££££s.

So while I was mulling it over, and looking at the finances, and discussing it with SWMBO (who OK'd it!), I kept looking at the 940 on the CCTV, and kept patting the bonnet as I walked passed it every day, and I decided that as good as the Royal is - especially at that price - I still love my humble, comparatively basic 940. So thats why I've decided to buy the final parts for the 940 - I've been seriously tempted like never before. But for once in so many years, I've decided that the 940 really is my keeper after all
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 11:17   #77
Moomoo
VOC Member

Aye lad , once you’ve been from back to front with her it will be a pleasure for ever.
It’ll be YOUR car then!👍🧐😎
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 11:48   #78
Steve 940
Premier Member

We can all allow ourselves 'a wobble' or two...

Your embassy find seems to me a keeper, so good luck on the rest of the refurb work.

What's more important for us to know, is how you managed to get approval from SWMBO, as every time I may raise a comment to test the water, it is normally met with a swift and firm rebuttal, followed by numerous (normally sensible and completely logical) reasons why I don't need XYZ.

Latest one was at a local classic show a couple of weeks ago, sun was out, lovely day, and a 1936 Morris 8 4 seater tourer looked absolutely fantastic. Thoughts of bumbling along country lanes to the pub, hounds would fit on back seat and enjoy alfresco transport etc. etc.

I literally turned to SWMBO and before I had mentioned a word, the 'look' was already firmly fixed

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 12:08   #79
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 940 View Post
We can all allow ourselves 'a wobble' or two...

Your embassy find seems to me a keeper, so good luck on the rest of the refurb work.

What's more important for us to know, is how you managed to get approval from SWMBO, as every time I may raise a comment to test the water, it is normally met with a swift and firm rebuttal, followed by numerous (normally sensible and completely logical) reasons why I don't need XYZ.

Latest one was at a local classic show a couple of weeks ago, sun was out, lovely day, and a 1936 Morris 8 4 seater tourer looked absolutely fantastic. Thoughts of bumbling along country lanes to the pub, hounds would fit on back seat and enjoy alfresco transport etc. etc.

I literally turned to SWMBO and before I had mentioned a word, the 'look' was already firmly fixed

Cheers
Steve

I think once you start bringing REASON into it , WELL………….👋
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 12:11   #80
Steve 940
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I think once you start bringing REASON into it , WELL………….👋
👍👍
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post: