Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High temperature reading

Views : 719

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 13:43   #1
stevepcar
Steve

Default High temperature reading

I expect my temp gauge to read quarter past 3 when at running temperature. However, mine has been reading 10 past 3 for a long time, so I changed the thermostat to one that opens at 90 degrees. As I believe that is correct for my car. But despite topping up the coolant and taking it for a run to expel air pockets, it still reads the same. The engine doesn't overheat & the fan kicks in if it idles for any length of time. I will try changing the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing, as I have a spare. Has anybody got any other ideas why this might be happening please.
stevepcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 16:43   #2
t4johnny

Default high temperature reading

Did you use a Volvo thermostat when replacing ?
Any visible coolant loss evident in expansion bottle....?
How long has the gauge been reading high ?

Last edited by t4johnny; Jul 28th, 2022 at 16:51.
t4johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 16:56   #3
4x4
Premier Member

Owner's Manual states the thermostat temperature for all non turbo engines is 90°C, turbo engines are all 87°C and diesel engines are 92°C
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 17:16   #4
t4johnny

Default Thermostat temperatures

As far as i know, i may be wrong, but the 87 degree thermostats for the turbo engines are no longer available....only seen 90 degree ones as being supplied.
t4johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to t4johnny For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 18:35   #5
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

I ordered an 87 degree one from FRF a few days ago
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 28th, 2022, 22:08   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Check also that the sensor wiring harness isn't making contact with any surrounding metal. I too would fit a new sensor for peace of mind and some of that black flexi conduit to protect the harness.

The genuine Volvo stat, manufactured by Wahler, has a built-in bleed nipple to prevent excess pressure on the cooling system and to speed up bleeding. I personally wouldn't fit any other type.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:51   #7
Luxobarge
Premier Member

All good information regarding the thermostat, however this isn't going to be relevant to the OP's problem, as a difference of 3 degrees won't give the symptom he's describing, and in any event this is just the temperature at which the thermostat opens, once it's open it's open, and won't by itself affect the reading on the guage on a fully hot engine to any noticeable degree.

Assuming there's nothing much wrong with the rest of the system my vote will be for the CTS - Coolant Temperature Sender too. The guage gets its information from the ECU, which gets engine temp info from the CTS, so if that sensor is erroneously sending a "too hot" signal to the ECU, the guage will read hot while the engine is actually fine.

You could use an independent method of measuring engine coolant temperature (for example I've got an infra-red thermal measuring gun - quite cheap) and compare it to another car that is giving the correct guage reading, I'd be surprised if the actual true temperatures weren't pretty similar, which would mean that it has to be something to do with the sender or the guage itself.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 11:03   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepcar View Post
I expect my temp gauge to read quarter past 3 when at running temperature. However, mine has been reading 10 past 3 for a long time, so I changed the thermostat to one that opens at 90 degrees. As I believe that is correct for my car. But despite topping up the coolant and taking it for a run to expel air pockets, it still reads the same. The engine doesn't overheat & the fan kicks in if it idles for any length of time. I will try changing the temperature sensor on the thermostat housing, as I have a spare. Has anybody got any other ideas why this might be happening please.
the 850 temp sender with the wire has been known to fail .
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 10:02   #9
stevepcar
Steve

Default High temp reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4johnny View Post
Did you use a Volvo thermostat when replacing ?
Any visible coolant loss evident in expansion bottle....?
How long has the gauge been reading high ?
I didn't use a genuine Volvo replacement, but the gauge is in exactly the same position as it was with the old stat. No loss of coolant in bottle and the gauge has been reading high for at least 3000 miles.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 12:27   #10
stevepcar
Steve

Default High Temp reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepcar View Post
I didn't use a genuine Volvo replacement, but the gauge is in exactly the same position as it was with the old stat. No loss of coolant in bottle and the gauge has been reading high for at least 3000 miles.
Sorry I just checked it was a genuine Volvo thermostat from Caffyns
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post: