Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Joined the 740 club

Views : 490

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 1st, 2022, 13:59   #1
supersmink

Default Joined the 740 club

Joined the 740 club at the weekend, already looks great next to the 340 and the S90.

Picked this 2.0 GL up from the Midlands for the princely sum of £1500, in good overall condition with 60k (indicated, but the odometer is intermittent, so could be a little more) and a stamped service book.

Trouble wise, there's a few niggly electrical bits to sort, and has a non-working fuel gauge to boot.

Look forward to getting this back to where it should be. Good to be here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3239587E-8CBC-40E9-8085-B93C80089E2D.jpg (247.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by supersmink; Aug 1st, 2022 at 14:02.
supersmink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to supersmink For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 14:34   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

That looks to have been a good buy. The low mileage appears to be supported by MOT history back to 2006 with only the usual, minor sort of advisory and fail items.

Enjoy!
Forrest is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 14:34   #3
bob12
bob12

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmink View Post
Joined the 740 club at the weekend, already looks great next to the 340 and the S90.

Picked this 2.0 GL up from the Midlands for the princely sum of £1500, in good overall condition with 60k (indicated, but the odometer is intermittent, so could be a little more) and a stamped service book.

Trouble wise, there's a few niggly electrical bits to sort, and has a non-working fuel gauge to boot.

Look forward to getting this back to where it should be. Good to be here.
Hi and welcome.

You have come to the right place for 700/900 advice.

Your new 745 Facelift acquisition with Bosch LH2.4 injection looks great. I have the same thing but, in red on 'G' plates.

Your cluster will be oem VDO and the usual problem with the speedo is a stripped small gear wheel inside the speedo unit, or maybe a poor wire connection on the rear diff. A useful guide for a fix is at: https://www.prancingmoose.com/740-odometer-repair.html

The problem with the fuel gauge is likely to be a poor solder joint on the fuel gauge pcb.

Bob.
bob12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 15:04   #4
supersmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Hi and welcome.

You have come to the right place for 700/900 advice.

Your new 745 Facelift acquisition with Bosch LH2.4 injection looks great. I have the same thing but, in red on 'G' plates.

Your cluster will be oem VDO and the usual problem with the speedo is a stripped small gear wheel inside the speedo unit, or maybe a poor wire connection on the rear diff. A useful guide for a fix is at: https://www.prancingmoose.com/740-odometer-repair.html

The problem with the fuel gauge is likely to be a poor solder joint on the fuel gauge pcb.

Bob.
Thanks for the advice Bob, was given a spare sender unit by the seller as he'd advised it was that. The gauge tends to say full, empty or halfway depending on mood/wind direction! Was pleased to get a facelift, I do like the 1990 front end.
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 16:56   #5
Moomoo
VOC Member

Nice looking motor chief !👍😎
Old Aug 1st, 2022, 23:49   #6
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Lovely car! I have the same but on a J plate. Is yours manual or auto?

The 2.0 NA motor isn’t too bad on fuel and whilst it isn’t an engine for a driver in any sort of tearing hurry, it’s a nice relaxed cruiser. Mine has done a lot of miles (odo and Speedo stopped at 179k in 2012!) but always starts on the button, drives like a peach and is unfailingly dependable.

The Draco rims were originally specced for the 740 Turbo but they look great on any 7/900 series car! I had a set refurbished for my old 740 saloon (also in Silver) which really finished it off beautifully. I have 940 spec Pholus alloys on my current 740s (and one of my 940s!) which are a nice unfussy rim but the Dracos are by far my favourite.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 07:29   #7
J liddy

Default 940 tic auto 1995

Welcome to the forum
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 09:23   #8
supersmink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
Lovely car! I have the same but on a J plate. Is yours manual or auto?

The 2.0 NA motor isn’t too bad on fuel and whilst it isn’t an engine for a driver in any sort of tearing hurry, it’s a nice relaxed cruiser. Mine has done a lot of miles (odo and Speedo stopped at 179k in 2012!) but always starts on the button, drives like a peach and is unfailingly dependable.

The Draco rims were originally specced for the 740 Turbo but they look great on any 7/900 series car! I had a set refurbished for my old 740 saloon (also in Silver) which really finished it off beautifully. I have 940 spec Pholus alloys on my current 740s (and one of my 940s!) which are a nice unfussy rim but the Dracos are by far my favourite.
This one is a manual, thankful for that with the 2.0 engine - makes for a great cruiser but it’ll never set the tarmac alight.

Based on some Googling she’s had the Dracos on for a good few years now, no intention of changing these as they really suit the car but I’ll need to get some better tyres on there as the “Landsail” ones really aren’t my cup of tea!
The Following User Says Thank You to supersmink For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 10:54   #9
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersmink View Post
This one is a manual, thankful for that with the 2.0 engine - makes for a great cruiser but it’ll never set the tarmac alight.

Based on some Googling she’s had the Dracos on for a good few years now, no intention of changing these as they really suit the car but I’ll need to get some better tyres on there as the “Landsail” ones really aren’t my cup of tea!
Yeah I see your point with the tyres-I’ve never been a fan of the super budget “ditchfinders”!!

In terms of decent mid priced tyres, I’ve had good results with GT Radial on my diesel 940, have done close to 15k on them with no discernible signs of wear at all. I’ve just put a set of Toyo Nanoenergy boots on my J plate 740 which rate highly in terms of fuel efficiency and noise, have only done a couple of K on them so no idea on wear yet but they handle well and are very quiet.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 21:41   #10
volvo always
Premier Member

Looks a well cared for 740.

I have Michelin Energy saver tyres on my 940 and goodyear Ultragrip 9 winter tyres.
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 on my Toyota Auris Hybrid estate. Both seem a good tyre.

James.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post: