Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 purchase help

Views : 826

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 13:36   #1
omc 47
VOC Member

Default V70 D5 purchase help

Hi all,
thanks for viewing my request for help, l am a long term Volvo 940/Amazon owner and apart from a spell of my wifes V40 (2004) ownership of 2 years have never dabbled in long term ownership of later Volvos.
But the time is approaching for my wifes NHS retirement and her lease car to be handed back, a history of Ford Fiestas and currently a Seat Ibeza has never encouraged me to rush out with a bank loan and buy anything similar on the used car forcourts due to the experiences we've encountered running these tin boxes and don't lets even start on the comfort area.
Sat nav failing, call backs for faulty bolts, 3 batteries in 3 years, aircon faulty, the AA man came round so much we got invited to the staff dances.
All this and only because as my wife works in the community so we thought if the car doesn't work neither does she.
Albeit she only gets paid 12p yes 12 pence a mile so we would have been better off with the old volvo at 55 pence a mile at a risk of keeping the old girl running.
So...........thoughts are turning to a V70 D5 Manual for her running alongside my Wentworth as a daily driver in our retirement, bearing in mind l do all my own servicing and have a good knowledge of Volvo repairs for the earlier stuff.
l did go and look at a petrol one recently but it had the Mazda chain drive in with the fixed buckets on the valve train so l think the diesel is a safer option for me.
Any thoughts along with your experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.................Andy
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 16:18   #2
old onions

From another Worcestershire lad, now exiled in London.

These P2X cars will go on forever with regular servicing and attention to wear items. They are well built, and with good quality replacement parts will give very dependable service.

My petrol is cam belt , not chain , and has been changed twice in its 130,000 miles. Most Volvo petrol cars are low emission zone compliant (Euro 4) , whereas the diesels you need a pretty new model (Euro 6) so if your wife goes into city centres at all this may be a consideration for you both.
On another point , a V70 is a very large car when compared to Fiestas and Ibizas, is she going to happy with this?

The main issue on servicing is the need for Volvo Diagnostics software (VIDA) with a code reader (DICE) which will enable you to read codes and get help on this forum to diagnose and solve the problem. There are several experts here who give very generously of their time to sort out others' issues, and give advice on which models to get. I gather it is best to run the software on a dedicated computor/tablet rather than try to load it onto the family unit.

2006 V70 SE 2.4 Manual
old onions is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old onions For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 16:19   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

d5 euro 3 facelift is the most economical and easy to work on. iv had one 7plus years and only had to replace service parts plus a few worn out bits its done 240k and its an auto . regular maintainance is the key to longevity.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 16:36   #4
TLPower

After years of working for the NHS the last thing your Wife needs is a P2 V70 and it's frankly comical turning circle.

If your Wife isn't phased by heading for the next postcode to turn around the V70 is the car for her. I've had V70 T5's since 2008 (2) and I adore the versatility and comfort they offer. The seats are the comfiest I have ever had the pleasure to park my arse on and the sound system isn't too shabby either.
TLPower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLPower For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 17:54   #5
Joe Harding
Premier Member

I endorse the support for the D5 V70 but you would do well to check no low emission zones are planned for your area.

Edit; just seen same point made above. However I do have Vida/Dice and I’m not too far from you
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 18:27   #6
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I've heard about this terrible turning circle thing a number of times but I wouldn't say mine was any worse than other large cars I've driven.. clearly nothing like a fiesta obviously

Is this just because I have the 16" wheels and a lot of people have the larger ones that rub on the inside so had to have different lock stops

Admittedly I have fitted a head unit with reversing camera so I reverse very close to things which helps

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 18:33   #7
omc 47
VOC Member

Hi guy's,
well thanks for the positive vibes so far, it's truly touching to read so many helpful replies.
Firstly size is not an issue (keep it clean boys) as she has driven vans including a Sprinter in her past and the turning circle of the V40 was also never wonderful but she liked the comfort and the drive postion.
Nice to hear from another Worcestershire enthusiast....thanks for the flag up and l hope Greenwich is treating you well.
The emissions issue is not generally a problem as Birminham,Bristol or London are places we never go near although it may be challenging if the green lobby start listing other cities.
Thanks also for the VIDA offer, much appreciated.
The diesel has better fuel economy (l believe) but a petrol is worth considering l guess...........l will keep checking in to build a useful picture for our future plans.
And thankyou all again....Andy

Last edited by omc 47; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 18:51.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 20:19   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

the cars with 225/45/ 17 tires have the black lock stops .= massive turning circle. meaning its always easyer to reverse in to parking spaces multi story car park are also entertaining if the spiral ramp is tight.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 20:56   #9
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
the cars with 225/45/ 17 tires have the black lock stops .= massive turning circle. meaning its always easyer to reverse in to parking spaces multi story car park are also entertaining if the spiral ramp is tight.
Then try to imagine a V70 D5 with 18" fitted wheels. They're great cars but mainly in a straight line, forwards or backwards. Anything else can take a little time !

We have both versions in V70 D5, in comparison we find the 17" is quite manageable.

Last edited by Lancee; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 20:59.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 23:54   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

its not the diameter thats the problem its tire width and the lock stops there are 3 different thicknesses. . black . blue . and yellow . did you get the pm i sent you lancee ?