Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car returned to dealer. Decision time.

Views : 1049

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2022, 08:56   #1
Srosenberg

Default Car returned to dealer. Decision time.

Hi all. I posted on here after advice prior to purchasing a 2015 V70 SE Lux. Very grateful to all for your help. Sorry to have to ask another question but in a bit of a dilemma.

I have returned the car to the seller in order to fix what was assessed to be a driveshaft / CV joint problem and a whistling noise which was diagnosed as coming from the waste gate on the turbo.

Seller has agreed to deal with the first prob but insists no issues and no noise from the turbo. Also, car is burning a shed load of oil so seller has stated will repair the engine parts that cause this.

I have been given an alternative V70 as a courtesy car and have the option of either keeping that one (Similar model, year older but slightly less miles) or pressing forward with the repairs on the original.

I’m no expert mechanic so unsure which way to go on this one. Seller has been super helpful and can’t fault the customer service.

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

Thanks.
Srosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 10:05   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Default Short answer...

..walk away from 15 plate...burning oil, been badly burnt there over 40 yrs of motoring...
Cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 10:21   #3
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

It's a pup, if they do anything to try to stop the oil consumption it'll be a can of instant fix, also the driveshaft problem could be in the gearbox rather than a cv end, as for the turbo that's a complete walk away as the sound you describe may sound like a whistle to you but is actually a whine where the veins are scraping the housing due to spindle imbalance aka as worn out, the acid test is to rev it to 3000 prm and does it then sound like a siren,

If you have an out route take it.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnineT For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 11:19   #4
Srosenberg

The original 2015 is a D3 and the 2014 option in replacement is a D4 with lower mileage. Is the D4 an improvement. ??
Old Aug 7th, 2022, 16:12   #5
Stu B
Master Member

Agree with the previous two replies, I’d also reject the 2015. D4 is an improvement generally in power but someone more knowledgable than me may comment if there are any increased emissions or road tax considerations. Good luck!
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 07:52   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

There is very clear writing on the wall here, I suspect your long term options are you keep the 2015 car or the contents of your wallet….

The 2015 car will have the 4 cylinder VEA engine, the 2014 car likely the 5 cylinder (older) engine. The VEA is slightly smoother and slightly more economical but the 5 cylinder engine is legendary for reliability and power. All of that is irrelevant as it sounds like the engine in the 2015 car is knackered. If you like it, keep the 2014 car, otherwise get your money back.

A low mileage, 2014 D4 V70 will be a good car for long term ownership. Is it a main dealer you bought from?
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Aug 8th, 2022 at 07:57.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 08:39   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
There is very clear writing on the wall here, I suspect your long term options are you keep the 2015 car or the contents of your wallet….

The 2015 car will have the 4 cylinder VEA engine, the 2014 car likely the 5 cylinder (older) engine. The VEA is slightly smoother and slightly more economical but the 5 cylinder engine is legendary for reliability and power. All of that is irrelevant as it sounds like the engine in the 2015 car is knackered. If you like it, keep the 2014 car, otherwise get your money back.

A low mileage, 2014 D4 V70 will be a good car for long term ownership. Is it a main dealer you bought from?
My 2014 V70 D4 has the VEA engine, so it's worth confirming which engine your example has.

The 5-cylinder won't have the oil consumption issue, but it won't be ULEZ-compliant either.

Nothing is easy.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sotosound For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 08:59   #8
Srosenberg

How do I check with engine is in the D4?
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 09:30   #9
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srosenberg View Post
How do I check with engine is in the D4?
Bob the registration number into Totalcarcheck.co.uk - you don't have to pay anything to get summary details.

If engine is 1969cc then it is VEA.

If engine is 1984cc then 5-cylinder

It will also tell you the Euro rating - 5 or 6.

But unless you need something ULEZ compliant, I wouldn't worry about which engine it has so long as it's all running okay...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 8th, 2022, 10:54   #10
Srosenberg

Thanks for the tip. It’s 1969 on total car check so it seems I have the VEA but it does drive and feel a lot different to the D3 I have since rejected.

Also, no smell of oil inside the vehicle……which is nice !
The Following User Says Thank You to Srosenberg For This Useful Post: