Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control v Speed Limiter

Views : 10748

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2015, 00:12   #31
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachyblue View Post
Success... I have a job number for the local Volvo dealer, just getting it booked in now.
Well done babes.
Big hugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 21:46   #32
OldCroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4rth View Post
Interesting, the speed limiter on my MY13 D2 SE doesn't beep but it does limit the speed. I wonder if you have a fault. I find the speed limiter very useful in average speed camera zones definitely not pointless.
The speed limiter does beep when you go downhill and the speed goes 3mph over what you have set. As the limiter does not actively brake this is quite common in hilly areas.
Old Sep 17th, 2015, 21:33   #33
rachyblue

Spot the difference...

rachyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachyblue For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 13:43   #34
volvorocks
Rodney

@Rachyblue

Good to hear you have got it sorted. Also with the buttons for both cruise and speed limiter.

I wonder why they even fit a speed limiter to V40, because the don't on XC60..!!

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2015, 19:21   #35
conedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachyblue View Post
Spot the difference...

That is of course a straight cruise control. The adaptive CC has a different icon on the right hand button, as well as a button in the middle of the four button cluster that enables you to adjust the distance/time between you and the vehicle in front. Still, the regular CC is great to have. On my old Citroen C5, that too had both CC and speed limiter. I too never used the limiter, but was always using the CC. The ACC on my V40 is amazing.
conedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 12:45   #36
Frank Bullitt
Scandanavian Flick

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
@Rachyblue

Good to hear you have got it sorted. Also with the buttons for both cruise and speed limiter.

I wonder why they even fit a speed limiter to V40, because the don't on XC60..!!

Regards
It's a reasonably recent addition to the Euro Ncap 5* rating for cars to have a speed limiter - most manufacturers just got both but for some reason Volvo don't on the ES and R-Design

Quite oftrn R-Design's are advertised as having cruise when they don't.
Frank Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 21:22   #37
bradleyreg

Just a quick note on this for anyone who finds this old thread.
My handbook says regarding the Volvo V40 Speed Limiter"driver regulates the speed using the accelerator pedal but is prevented from accidentally exceeding a pre-selected/set speed by the speed limiter"
bradleyreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 13:48   #38
jmresan

Good afternoon.
I've seen someone (chiptivo) put the cruise control switch on his V40.
I would like to know if just changing the switch worked for you or did you have to update some software?
It is that my V40 only brings speed limiter and I wanted to put the cruise control myself, but when calling the Volvo dealer they ask me a lot of money to put it on, since they say they also have to update the software.
Thank you very much for your help.
Greetings.
jmresan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 18:29   #39
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmresan View Post
Good afternoon.
I've seen someone (chiptivo) put the cruise control switch on his V40.
I would like to know if just changing the switch worked for you or did you have to update some software?
It is that my V40 only brings speed limiter and I wanted to put the cruise control myself, but when calling the Volvo dealer they ask me a lot of money to put it on, since they say they also have to update the software.
Thank you very much for your help.
Greetings.
It needs software to enable the function, although I'm not so sure that it is a full software download. More likely the download just writes a small change to the config file in the CEM which enables a dormant function that is already there. VIDA hints as much, although not explicitly.

The cheapest I've seen from a Volvo dealer is around £350 to add cruise control. I've just done it using VDash software, which cost 110 euros + VAT to enable the function plus the cost of a cruise control switch. I got one from eBay for about £40. All working perfectly.
RS3100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2019, 18:37   #40
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyreg View Post
Just a quick note on this for anyone who finds this old thread.
My handbook says regarding the Volvo V40 Speed Limiter"driver regulates the speed using the accelerator pedal but is prevented from accidentally exceeding a pre-selected/set speed by the speed limiter"
Yes, the speed limiter prevents the vehicle from exceeding the set speed via the accelerator pedal, but it won't prevent the car from running away on a downhill gradient should gravity overcome engine retardation (the braking system is not linked to the limiter). If the car starts to gather speed and exceeds the pre-set value by more than 2mph it sounds an alarm to notify the driver.

I use it quite often in limited areas. It saves having to constantly keep checking the speedometer in camera or other regular enforcement areas.
RS3100 is online now   Reply With Quote