Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil and other warning light

Views : 952

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 00:05   #1
Ronaldpayne

Default Oil and other warning light

Hi all. I've just read with interest a thread about V40 oil. I recently had a local garage change the oil. I have read that the oil level needs to be calibrated after a change. I do not believe they have done this.
I am getting a check oil level warning. When I do so, it shows that it is at its max.
Could it be over full or is it just because it has not been calibrated?
I also occasionally see a "reduced engine performance" warning with a tortoise emblem.
When I took the car to Volvo for a recall, they said that there are no messages or history on the cars computer regarding this.
Could oil calibration and the reduced performance be linked?
By the way, the car doesn't seem to loose any performance when the warning comes up.
Many thanks.
Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4324.jpg (110.9 KB, 4 views)
Ronaldpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 17:26   #2
RS3100

Hello Ron,

Calibration is rather a technical word for what is actually just an artificial known good value applied to the module that monitors the oil level, to prevent it from generating oil level warnings caused by changes in the sump level during draining and refilling, until it has had the opportunity to restabilise itself.

In short, if you are 100% happy that the engine has been refilled with the correct amount of oil, you can ignore any oil level warning that might appear shortly after the oil change. According to VIDA, the level monitor should stabilise itself after the car has been driven at least 30km and then parked on a level surface with the engine switched off for at least 5 minutes.

But if you are in any doubt, the only safe option is to drain the oil and start again, filling with a known correct quantity, otherwise you could risk serious damage if the level is actually incorrect.

All the "calibration" does is to suppress any spurious oil level messages in the interim period. But only garages with access to Volvo diagnostic equipment will be able to carry out that procedure.

I believe reduced engine performance messages can also be linked to the oil level warning if the car considers that the oil level is seriously under or overfilled. If so, they should also disappear once the level according to the car software has stabilised.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 18:31   #3
Ronaldpayne

Many thanks for your help. I'll ask the garage if they performed the calibration and I'll monitor the messages and take it from there.
Once again, I appreciate your help very much!
Ronaldpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 22:11   #4
sreviz
Master Member

I did my oil change for my wife's v40.
Didn't do calibration. But filled exactly 5 litre.
No warning.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sreviz For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:40   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
Hello Ron,

Calibration is rather a technical word for what is actually just an artificial known good value applied to the module that monitors the oil level, to prevent it from generating oil level warnings caused by changes in the sump level during draining and refilling, until it has had the opportunity to restabilise itself.

In short, if you are 100% happy that the engine has been refilled with the correct amount of oil, you can ignore any oil level warning that might appear shortly after the oil change. According to VIDA, the level monitor should stabilise itself after the car has been driven at least 30km and then parked on a level surface with the engine switched off for at least 5 minutes.

But if you are in any doubt, the only safe option is to drain the oil and start again, filling with a known correct quantity, otherwise you could risk serious damage if the level is actually incorrect.

All the "calibration" does is to suppress any spurious oil level messages in the interim period. But only garages with access to Volvo diagnostic equipment will be able to carry out that procedure.

I believe reduced engine performance messages can also be linked to the oil level warning if the car considers that the oil level is seriously under or overfilled. If so, they should also disappear once the level according to the car software has stabilised.
Why oh why oh why oh why can'y we just have a dipstick.............? Then you can even see the oil and check if it's smelly, milky etc....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2019, 08:42   #6
RS3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreviz View Post
I did my oil change for my wife's v40.
Didn't do calibration. But filled exactly 5 litre.
No warning.
Which engine does she have? It seems to be the VEA engine cars that are more prone to false warnings if not reset.

According to VIDA, on those cars the oil level check via the DIM does not display a real time indication of the oil level. In fact the "gauge" is a false graphic, as the system is only capable of displaying "Add oil", "OK" or that the car is overfilled.

The representation of the current oil level is stored from the last drive cycle. The level monitoring is taken from a comparison of the last three drive cycles and triggers a warning if the calculated level differs in any one of those cycles.

From what I can gather, the "calibration" just tells the software to start from a known acceptable value, and basically ignore the last three drive cycle calculation until it has started again from afresh.

I still find it difficult to fathom the reasoning behind this method of displaying the oil level to the driver when the actual level is available in real time from the sump sensor, and can be read with suitable diagnostic equipment connected to the ECM.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2019, 02:05   #7
sreviz
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3100 View Post
Which engine does she have? It seems to be the VEA engine cars that are more prone to false warnings if not reset.

According to VIDA, on those cars the oil level check via the DIM does not display a real time indication of the oil level. In fact the "gauge" is a false graphic, as the system is only capable of displaying "Add oil", "OK" or that the car is overfill

The representation of the current oil level is stored from the last drive cycle. The level monitoring is taken from a comparison of the last three drive cycles and triggers a warning if the calculated level differs in any one of those cycles.

From what I can gather, the "calibration" just tells the software to start from a known acceptable value, and basically ignore the last three drive cycle calculation until it has started again from afresh.

I still find it difficult to fathom the reasoning behind this method of displaying the oil level to the driver when the actual level is available in real time from the sump sensor, and can be read with suitable diagnostic equipment connected to the ECM.
Engine D4204T8.
2016 Volvo v40 cross country D2.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote