Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to - Differential Pressure Sensor Replacement

Views : 4147

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2021, 21:22   #1
theseriojca

Default How to - Differential Pressure Sensor Replacement

Hello

My 2010 XC90 SE Lux has been sporadically showing the 'Engine System Service Required' and in the last week the car would go into Limp Mode at the worst possible moments - up a steep hill, for example.

Connected VIDA and got the following codes:

ECM - 2A20 - Particulate Trap - Signal too low
ECM - 2A50 - Pressure Sensor Particulate Trap - Faulty Signal
ECM - 2A70 - Pressure Sensor Particulate Trap - Faulty Signal
ECM - 2B30 - Particulate Trap - Faulty Signal

Searched the forums and google and came upon a second hand pressure sensor on eBay, for £20. Bought it just in case, although it could have been the two rubber hoses as well, according to other cases on the internet. Decided to have a look at it, and if the hoses were fine, to swap the sensor itself.

The rain finally stopped in Glasgow, or rather became tiny hailstones, so decided to give it a go.

Here's what VIDA says on replacing the sensor:

In short, it's remove top cover, remove cross bar, remove back cover, replace sensor, put everything back where it belongs.

For the long version and pictures, keep reading.

1. Remove top engine cover - pull up from the front and gently manoeuvre around various plugs and wires on the right.

2. Remove cross bar - 4 x 13mm bolts on the suspension towers + 1 bolt on the top engine mount. For the top engine mount, you will need 2 18mm tools - a wrench and a deep socket, for examples. I wasn't able to completely remove it, actually - a random wire was attached to it (see picture). What is that wire and why is it only connected at the top (is the piece of plastic broken off?)

The mystery part - long piece of plastic, attached to the cross bar, with the wire zip-tied to it (sorry for the poor quality). Any ideas? It's dangling loose.

3. Remove back engine cover - 4 x 10 mm nuts - DO NOT DROP - finish off by hand and make sure to capture them before they roll off.

4. Disconnect two connectors off the back cover - separate and gently pry off, held by two plastic 'screws'.

5. Wiggle the back cover off and you're now able to see the Pressure Sensor, on the passenger side of the back of the engine, same region as top engine mount.

6. Disconnect the sensor plug.

7. Unscrew 2 x T25 screws holding the sensor - DO NOT DROP - limited space for that, can't fit a full size screwdriver.

8. Now, the real pain in the a*** part. The sensor is obviously connected to the two rubber hose bits, and since it wasn't disturbed for 11 years, it was a pain to take off. After A LOT of gentle praying, rocking, twisting and pulling, the sensor was finally freed, but do take your time. The space is limited, you need to be at full stretch, so not easy all together.

New sensor on bottom.

9. Once out, sliding the new sensor back on was actually pretty easy, just make sure the hoses go all the way up to the actual sensor body.

10. The rest of the process is putting it all back together - the opposite of taking it apart.

11. Extra step - Resetting adaptation differential pressure sensor particle sensor.

For this, connect VIDA, but don't start the car yet. Turn the ignition on, click on the link in VIDA (at the bottom of the Pressure Sensor replacement unit), then click on VCT2000 image/button.

A screen will pop up, press Start then wait until you are told the process is finalised.

That's pretty much it, I haven't had a chance to drive the car yet, but after running the engine for 20 minutes, with a few restarts, no codes popped up at all, so fingers crossed!

If you've got any idea on what that dangling piece of plastic is, from step 2, please let me know!

Thanks, comments and criticism welcome.
Old Feb 8th, 2021, 08:32   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

> The mystery part - long piece of plastic, attached to the cross bar, with the wire zip-tied to it (sorry for the poor quality). Any ideas? It's dangling loose.

This is a cable duct for the ABS sensor wire to the front right wheel.
On my car it was dangling far too close to the crankshaft pulley, I tied it back with another cable tie.

So just make sure on your car it has no chance of rubbing on any moving parts.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 21:21   #3
Spikermundo

HI

Could you point me in the correct location for the adaptation of differential pressure sensor particle sensor. Seem to have been all around Vida but cannot find that part.

Thanks
Spikermundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 21:38   #4
theseriojca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikermundo View Post
HI

Could you point me in the correct location for the adaptation of differential pressure sensor particle sensor. Seem to have been all around Vida but cannot find that part.

Thanks
Go to

Information >

Repair >

2 Engine with mountings and equipment >

25 Intake and exhaust >

254 catalytic converter and emission control >

Pressure sensor, diesel particulate filter, replacing

Hope that helps
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 22:08   #5
Spikermundo

Hi

Thanks for the very quick reply just checked that and its where i found the how to remove and replace but no recalibrate so assume it does not need doing on my car 4164T V50. Other parts do ie EGR if replaced seen that in vehicle communication advanced. Thankyou once again
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 22:33   #6
theseriojca

here's what it looks like when I scroll all the way to the bottom of the replacement instruction

Old Aug 10th, 2021, 13:01   #7
Spikermundo

Ok thanks will take another look but sure it shows you how to take it out and put it back that's it no other page to the side or lower looks like a trip to Volvo if values don't increase

so far

New Dpf (reset in vida)
Eoyls Fluid filled 15/15 (reset and primed)
New pressure tubes
New fuel filter (engine started to cut out)
Replaced pressure sensor with genuine used but low values (new one on order)

still getting pressure sensor value of 1 on tick over

Last edited by Spikermundo; Aug 10th, 2021 at 13:39.
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 18:16   #8
Spikermundo

Attachment of my screen with no other instruction guess im in the right place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (28.4 KB, 23 views)
Old Aug 10th, 2021, 21:22   #9
Spikermundo

Ok think I have solved this I also have a 2013 V40 2.0d that I have hooked up to Vida and checked the repair for the sensor it has the adaptation instructions at the bottom of the screen so assume the 1.6 is just plug and play. Fingers crossed