Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Keen on a V40 - specs and tips for best deals?

Views : 1541

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 20:52   #1
BenH
On a journey...

Default Keen on a V40 - specs and tips for best deals?

I'm currently in a Golf R32, which is approaching 7 years old. Prior to that, I had a work-leased V60 D5 SE Lux - so I do have some previous Volvo form.

The V60 was a great car, but sadly my wife wouldn't drive it and so I couldn't keep it when we downsized from two cars to one.

I'm now really keen on a V40. It seems to fit our needs really well - on paper - and I really like the feel of Volvos in general.

Spec

We do about 9,000 miles a year: c.25% urban driving (we live near Bristol centre) and 75% longer trips (holidays, business miles, visits). So, a diseasel wouldn't make much sense... except that I've had some very attractive quotes on the work lease scheme for a D4.

I'm otherwise attracted to a T4 - probably in SE Lux spec with:

- Panoramic roof
- Nav
- Harmon Kardon speakers
- Auto dimming mirror
- 18in wheels
- Misty or Power Blue, with beige leather

Has anyone got experience of the T4; or a strong case to make for the D4? Should I look at any other options?

Funding

I could go down the route of a personal purchase, PCP, personal lease or work lease!

Are good discounts achievable with Volvo's 50% deposit scheme? I could use the Golf R32 to make a big dent in that...

Thanks
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 22:24   #2
volvorocks
Rodney

With the spec you want you are looking at around £25k.

However:-

Don't go for 18 inch wheels as the ride is hard enough already and the bigger wheels make it worse.

Don't go for Misty blue. An odd colour, looks like undercoat (in my opinion only though). Power blue is a great colour.

The leather is more white than beige btw - blond

Would also say think twice about the sunroof because headroom is already tight, especially in the back and a sunroof makes it worse! Anyway the sunroof is fixed, so just a large piece of glass for a grand..!!

Do consider rear parking sensors as rear visibilty is poor.

Do consider a tempa spare wheel.

Do think about taking 0% finance,which requires a 50% deposit, which your Golf should help toward.

Do also take out a 3 or 5 year service pack at either £300 or £500

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvorocks For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 09:15   #3
BenH
On a journey...

Thanks.

It's between Power and Caspian Blue for me now. I'm having second thoughts about the wheels and roof.
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 00:04   #4
volvorocks
Rodney

Have you ordered yet Ben?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 13:57   #5
BenH
On a journey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvorocks View Post
Have you ordered yet Ben?

Regards
I did actually start the order process with a nicely spec'd D4 SE Lux via my work lease car scheme, but cancelled today as I found out that the panoramic roof won't work with roof bars (a must for me).

I've not gone quite back to square one, but I'm certainly looking again at D2 or T3 options - and whether to fund it privately rather than through work.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 10:49   #6
GaryB1

The question is do you want new or used? I bought mine 8 months old and saved >£14K. I used the Volvo Selek database to find the car I wanted but you will need to be flexible and a bit lucky I guess.

I got a V40CC Lux Nav D3 Auto in ice white with every option available (ex Volvo managers car).

Last edited by GaryB1; Feb 26th, 2015 at 10:59.
GaryB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 19:40   #7
Marc01

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB1 View Post
The question is do you want new or used? I bought mine 8 months old and saved >£14K. I used the Volvo Selek database to find the car I wanted but you will need to be flexible and a bit lucky I guess.

I got a V40CC Lux Nav D3 Auto in ice white with every option available (ex Volvo managers car).
That off list price or actual? The list price of my V40 was over 34k I paid 26k for it new a V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav plus a bunch of extras.

Buying pre registered/owned usually managers/salesman car 6/8 months old only would of saved me about 6k still a healthy slab of cash, but I really wanted the new VEA D4 so opted for new.

After the 3 year pcp term is up I,ll look to trade in and will probably use Selekt to find a T5 my only problem is I am fussy about paint and vehicle condition, some of the examples I saw were badly marred, with scuffed rims and interior, most would not mind and if the deal is right neither would I.
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2015, 09:53   #8
GaryB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc01 View Post
That off list price or actual? The list price of my V40 was over 34k I paid 26k for it new a V40 D4 R Design Lux Nav plus a bunch of extras.

Buying pre registered/owned usually managers/salesman car 6/8 months old only would of saved me about 6k still a healthy slab of cash, but I really wanted the new VEA D4 so opted for new.

After the 3 year pcp term is up I,ll look to trade in and will probably use Selekt to find a T5 my only problem is I am fussy about paint and vehicle condition, some of the examples I saw were badly marred, with scuffed rims and interior, most would not mind and if the deal is right neither would I.
new price was £37k but ticket price was £22,990 which sounds not too dissimilar to what you paid. That is before my trade in too.
GaryB1 is offline   Reply With Quote