Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone with this blower motor experience?

Views : 1211

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 11:43   #1
Ednamillion

Default Anyone with this blower motor experience?

Just readying the car for sale...sob....and so am trying to tidy some little things up.

One was an intermittently working heater fan. Just took it out to lube it up in case that was the issue.

Putting a meter on the feed to it it's reading about 9.5v from 0 through fan settings 1,2 & 3. on setting 4 it goes to about 10.3 and on 5 it reads about 11.7. When I turn to speed 5 I feel a relay(?) click also.

Hooking up the fan, with the direction set to say feet level, turning the fan to 1 starts the motor but then after about two seconds the fan stops. This happens a number of times and on other speeds. However...setting the directional controller to 'auto', fan works each time. Fan also subsequently works on other direction settings and speeds...Other thing I noticed was that speeds 3 and 4 seem to be about the same (no apparent increase in fan revs).

Any thoughts? Fan wasn't/isn't noisy before or now.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 18:20   #2
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default How

How do you get that blower motor out? Mine is noisy.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 18:54   #3
Ednamillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
How do you get that blower motor out? Mine is noisy.
In mine it's just by removing the horizontal panel directly above the passengers feet/below the glove compartment and then undoing three small screws holding the bottom-side moulding carrying the motor. Undo the connector (little awkward to get at round the back) and out it comes.

I've read that in some cases you need to remove the side panel to the left of the passengers feet, which I did, but I think I could have removed the motor with that still in place.

Btw, if you do get it out would you mind checking what voltage is being fed to the connector when switching through the different fan speeds? I think the fact that it is the same for my first three speeds suggests the resistor might be on the way out.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 15:22   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

I doubt the motor being sticky is the problem. If you have the meter out, check what is happening to the fan supply when it cuts out. That will tell you where else to look.

Switches and protection components sometime cause problems.

There are usually different setups between air con, climate control, and non-AC. I don't have an auto setting on my non-AC car. You need to give details on the car and type of system.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 19:55   #5
Ednamillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
I doubt the motor being sticky is the problem. If you have the meter out, check what is happening to the fan supply when it cuts out. That will tell you where else to look.

Switches and protection components sometime cause problems.

There are usually different setups between air con, climate control, and non-AC. I don't have an auto setting on my non-AC car. You need to give details on the car and type of system.
Well the car is as per the sig. The system (I believe) is the ECC.

I'm wondering if there might be an earthing problem. Do we know if there is an earth for/near-by the fan motor? Yesterday driving into town the fan wouldn't work, last night driving back it was pumping out lovely warm air...
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 17:55   #6
Ednamillion

Ok.

It turns out I don't have a resistor controlling my blower fan motor. It's an ecc power stage....a control unit which has metal fins on the back poking into the fan generated air stream.

Has anyone dealt with one of these before or, perhaps, even has one lying around...?
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 06:06   #7
mjk164
VOC Member

I had similar sort of problems with my cabin fan on my 1993 960, with an ECC unit. After 270000 miles I suspected the fan motor being tired. The motor has brushes (and they are probably just worn down) but you can't get at them without some force on the fan blades to remove it and to allow access; you will almost certainly break the blades. I simply replaced mine with a 2nd hand unit from Braydons at about £30 and all has been back to normal since. I think the fan motor is your problem as these ECC units rarely give trouble without showing an error code.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 09:15   #8
Ednamillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
I had similar sort of problems with my cabin fan on my 1993 960, with an ECC unit. After 270000 miles I suspected the fan motor being tired. The motor has brushes (and they are probably just worn down) but you can't get at them without some force on the fan blades to remove it and to allow access; you will almost certainly break the blades. I simply replaced mine with a 2nd hand unit from Braydons at about £30 and all has been back to normal since. I think the fan motor is your problem as these ECC units rarely give trouble without showing an error code.
Oh I have the 233 error code :sigh:.

The fact the fan runs well (smooth, quiet) when it decides to run, combined with the error code, leads me to think the problem is further upstream than the motor.
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:30   #9
mjk164
VOC Member

If you are getting the 233 on the ECC diagnostic then in my view that is too much starting current due to worn brushes. I had that as well and, if by poking the fan gently through the hole for the sensor near to the fan, then it would run beautifully and silently until the next time it happened to be stopped at a poor brush contact area. You ought to be able to get a good used unit on a trial basis to see if it sorts your problem out.
mjk164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2012, 10:52   #10
Ednamillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk164 View Post
If you are getting the 233 on the ECC diagnostic then in my view that is too much starting current due to worn brushes. I had that as well and, if by poking the fan gently through the hole for the sensor near to the fan, then it would run beautifully and silently until the next time it happened to be stopped at a poor brush contact area. You ought to be able to get a good used unit on a trial basis to see if it sorts your problem out.
Really? The motor starts but stops again within a second or so. Also, do you know if there are two relays in the power stage unit? I only hear one click (switching to speed 5) when adjusting the fan speed.