Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy fuel pump, a real puzzler...

Views : 2378

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2017, 06:07   #1
Crazylachesus

Default Noisy fuel pump, a real puzzler...

Hi,

Car is 2004 V50 2.4 (140 bhp) 180k km. I had a noisy fuel pump which was making a weird sound after the car has warmed up fully. The sound was a combination of a whirling noise as well as a high pitched squealing noise. After replacing the pump (same Bosch part as before, perfect fit) the squealing noise is gone, but when the car is driven for a while everything gets hot, it starts to make the whirling sound again. It's like the pump is having a hard time pumping the gasoline up, I'm worried it will fry it again... I recorded the sound:

https://youtu.be/qzbYzFBaUag

Anybody has any idea what to look for? Should i change the carbon canister? Or the evap valve? Could something cause a restriction on the return of the outgoing fuel line when the engine gets hot? Any help is greatly appreciated, i'm getting very frustrated about this.

Cheers
Crazylachesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 08:44   #2
Crazylachesus

SOLVED!!!

Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update on this, should anybody experience the same problem.

Quick summary

Symptom:
When the car got warm after about ~30 minutes, there was a harsh sound coming from the fuel pump (high pitched noise and also a swirling sound). Also I got P0172 CEL code: system too rich bank 1. It was intermittent, sometimes the CEL went off, sometimes came back.

Resolution:

First try: Changed the fuel pump to the OE BOSCH unit. Did not solve the problem, the high pitched noise went away but the swirling sound stayed. Probably the old fuel pump's motor was already damaged/burnt a bit, that's why it also had a high pithced noise.

Second try: (thanks to a youtube comment) Changed the Fuel Pressure Sensor (https://www.ebay.com/p/VOLVO-Sensor-...sch/1947041485)
It took around 10 minutes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZkBeSE9kwE) and the problem was solved.

Root cause: The fuel pressure sensor was malfunctioning after warm-up, when the pressure was also rising due to the elevated temperature. It sent a pressure reading too low to the ECU, which didn't let enough pressure back to the return line, so the fuel pressure was actually higher than the factory value. This caused the injectors to let more fuel in the cylinders, that has triggered a "system too rich" CEL code. Also, because of the increased pressure, the fule pump had to work very hard because it was pumping the fuel against a much higher pressure than it should.

I hope this write-off is helpful, and will help to anybody that is experiencing similar problems. It was a real puzzler for me, I'm happy that it's solved now.

Br,
Balint

Last edited by Crazylachesus; Jan 2nd, 2018 at 08:48.
Crazylachesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crazylachesus For This Useful Post:
Old May 15th, 2020, 11:31   #3
GuyM76

I've just registered on the forum to find out about this issue with my 2007 2.4i. Glad you got your sorted and thanks for posting.

I have replaced my OE fuel pump with a genuine Bosch replacement. Quite expensive as it involved dropping the tank. So disappointed when the noise returned, usually after 20-30 mins gentle driving.

I'll try the pressure sensor and report back. Fingers crossed it works for me as I like the car and have already sunk too much money into it!
GuyM76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 09:42   #4
GuyM76

To confirm - replacing the fuel pressure sensor worked! No complaining or buzzing from the fuel pump anymore.

I didn't read any codes but I am assuming it was the same issue at the OP.

Relieved.
GuyM76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2020, 11:13   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyM76 View Post
To confirm - replacing the fuel pressure sensor worked! No complaining or buzzing from the fuel pump anymore.

I didn't read any codes but I am assuming it was the same issue at the OP.

Relieved.
these sensors have been a problem since they came out on the R models .
Old Oct 15th, 2023, 17:26   #6
MDS40

Bringing this thread back to life as i have the same symptoms but no fault code .

I get the noise after about 20-30 mins driving so have ordered a new Bosch sensor which should arrive this week.

Anybody else had this problem or can shed more light on it.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 11:49   #7
MDS40

Default Fixed Update

Just to confirm that a new fuel rail pressure sensor cured the noise coming from the in tank pump when warm.

Bosch sensor £50 from genuine supplier against £250 required by Volvo.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Old Nov 17th, 2023, 22:33   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
Just to confirm that a new fuel rail pressure sensor cured the noise coming from the in tank pump when warm.

Bosch sensor £50 from genuine supplier against £250 required by Volvo.
oddly, when i asked at the main dealer for a £ on that sensor "oh they dont often go, we never sell many of those" was the reply, and at £50<>£250 i can see why
i did the same, Bosch unit but for a different fault, so far so good
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 13:22   #9
MDS40

I had no fault codes ( i have Vida ) just the noise from the pump after 20 mins of driving which at first i thought was the pas pump.

Just for any interested people, i got mine from Opie Oil in Cornwall.
They now seem to sell a lot more than just oil.
I even spotted drive shafts on their site.

Glad you sorted your fault.

Last edited by MDS40; Nov 18th, 2023 at 13:25.
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 17:47   #10
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS40 View Post
I had no fault codes ( i have Vida ) just the noise from the pump after 20 mins of driving which at first i thought was the pas pump.

Just for any interested people, i got mine from Opie Oil in Cornwall.
They now seem to sell a lot more than just oil.
I even spotted drive shafts on their site.

Glad you sorted your fault.
yes too use Opie in cornwall
i was getting a DIM message about the fuel pressure and vida codes for that sensor,
10 min? job ,even including the pull fuse etc steps
best bit, i Didnt drop the end cap for the pressure relief valve

Tags
2.4, 2.4i, fuel pump, solved, v50