Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which display do you favour?

Views : 27807

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which display do you use
Chrome rings 114 29.69%
Glass 79 20.57%
Sport 84 21.88%
Minimalist 107 27.86%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 25th, 2019, 09:37   #21
dchbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOL0VER View Post
What do you mean by that...? 🤔
The majority of photos that people take of sensus (reviews, this forum) are all with the dials set to chrome rings. I never realised that the setting altered the main central display because I set mine to minimalist at pickup and so haven’t really spent much time looking at the oth r options.

Therefore due to some crazy assumption on my part I assumed that my version was newer than the ones I had been seeing online lol
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 10:30   #22
Fursty Ferret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliner View Post
I've long thought, the themes are a bit outdated. I'd prefer 'minimalist' but you get a great slab of beige across the main screen in stark contrast to the other 3 sections. I mean, come on, who signed that off?
Beige? I like Minimalist for the bigger map. Also because the others look like they were designed by a 7 year old using Microsoft Paint.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fursty Ferret For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 12:15   #23
Milliner

Quote:
Beige? I like Minimalist for the bigger map. Also because the others look like they were designed by a 7 year old using Microsoft Paint.
Yes, the phone section of the display is a solid beige (or whatever you might call it, I'm no expert!), in contrast to the others which are subtle shades. Seems an odd design choice in my opinion.

The other designs rely on a bit of skeuomorphism which is a dated design trend from a number of years ago. Sensus could do with new designs (again, in my opinion). They could be easily delivered via the systems updates tab, which I've yet to see used.

Or.....they've shelved Sensus development in favour of the Android partnership.
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 18:18   #24
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Yes, the phone section of the display is a solid beige (or whatever you might call it, I'm no expert!), in contrast to the others which are subtle shades. Seems an odd design choice in my opinion.

The other designs rely on a bit of skeuomorphism which is a dated design trend from a number of years ago. Sensus could do with new designs (again, in my opinion). They could be easily delivered via the systems updates tab, which I've yet to see used.

Or.....they've shelved Sensus development in favour of the Android partnership.
Do you think there's a chance they might do it...? I just wish they would do it. It would be so cool. But maybe Sensus will stay like that for long years until a new model is released.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jan 28th, 2019 at 19:11.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 11:53   #25
Fursty Ferret

The pessimist in me sees no reason why Volvo would bring the full Android interface as an update to previous generations without vast expense. According to my dealer Sensus is running on Windows Embedded at the moment.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:22   #26
Milliner

Probably right.

Looks like the Android partnership is real and up and running in prototype form though for future cars, which would mean owners with the current Sensus system are unlikely to see any major updates I'm guessing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVnqZS1fqRQ
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:25   #27
Milliner

This video shows more of the driver display too which actually looks like the current glass theme with different maps in the centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoGrE6t4ejQ

Last edited by Milliner; Jan 30th, 2019 at 12:28. Reason: Looked again at the video.
Milliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 18:58   #28
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
This video shows more of the driver display too which actually looks like the current glass theme with different maps in the centre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoGrE6t4ejQ
I will keep calm 😁
and hope you are wrong and that they'll update in a near future.😎👍
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 19:15   #29
george57l
George

Default Fuel gauge mystery

I'm not familiar with much of what this thread is about. Pretty sure I have a model with no selectable display options, but I am perplexed by one element.

I've recently got a V70 2011 with a horizontal 'progress bar' style fuel gauge rather than an analog needle display. To the right of the progress bar itself is a number 1. No idea what it means. The manual is entirely silent on this. Anyone any clues?
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2019, 20:20   #30
Milliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
I'm not familiar with much of what this thread is about. Pretty sure I have a model with no selectable display options, but I am perplexed by one element.

I've recently got a V70 2011 with a horizontal 'progress bar' style fuel gauge rather than an analog needle display. To the right of the progress bar itself is a number 1. No idea what it means. The manual is entirely silent on this. Anyone any clues?
Not sure if you’re being tongue-in-cheek!

If I recall, older fuel gauges simply showed 3/4, 1/2 or 1/4 filled and therefore by extension, 1 simply meant ‘full’. I presume it’s a legacy of this.