Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Another Map Update.

Views : 4873

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 16th, 2020, 15:42   #21
key76

Ah, that makes sense. I feel stupid now as I thought that was the version waiting to download

Thank you
Old May 28th, 2020, 10:01   #22
Arty68

Hello,

A couple of months ago I tried to update the maps via USB and failed miserably I just keep getting an error, then lockdown happens so we haven't used the car much. Anyway I've tried all sorts of things . So it's either the memory sticks or the car. I only have 16gb,64gb and 128gb sticks the website says you need a 32gb stick , so I was wondering what USB sticks you have used that have worked ? and any other ideas ?

I've done different formats quick,slow, NTFS ,FAT , downloading files to usb and to hard disk and tx to usb o joy.

It's so annoying when your car is parked next to your router and in won't let you download the file directly because it's too big..

Thanks.
Arty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2020, 10:28   #23
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty68 View Post
Hello,

A couple of months ago I tried to update the maps via USB and failed miserably I just keep getting an error, then lockdown happens so we haven't used the car much. Anyway I've tried all sorts of things . So it's either the memory sticks or the car. I only have 16gb,64gb and 128gb sticks the website says you need a 32gb stick , so I was wondering what USB sticks you have used that have worked ? and any other ideas ?

I've done different formats quick,slow, NTFS ,FAT , downloading files to usb and to hard disk and tx to usb o joy.

It's so annoying when your car is parked next to your router and in won't let you download the file directly because it's too big..

Thanks.

I use a couple of Scandisc Ultra 64GB sticks (1 in the car with current maps and 1 in house waiting for next update). They are currently available from Argos @ £9.99 each.Please read (and re-read) posts #17 & #18 in this thread. They may cure your problems. Do make sure that the USB is empty before downloading the files. To format (My PC is Windows 10) just accept the default file system offered by the PC. I think mine is FAT from memory. And finally remain patient and make sure your read and comply with whatever instructions are given.
Old May 28th, 2020, 15:40   #24
Arty68

Thanks for the reply but as suspected I've got the message can't read map data ! I have left it in the car just incase it decides to work over the next few days though.
might have to purchase another usb stick any others that people know work?

I don't think the previous owner kept the map data upto date the version on my car is something like 1152.

It's got to go to the dealers soon as an alarm sensor and handbrake are faulty so might ask them to update the maps if possible.

Thanks again
Old May 29th, 2020, 09:23   #25
airforced

Most USB sticks are reliable and remain reliable for some considerable time. Mind you USB ports on computers can fail for various resons. The North West Europe 1300 update is only about 2GB so will only take a fraction of the space on a 64GB stick but whatever size stick you have it must be empty before downloading from the website. I don't know what the implications are of the previous owner not updating the maps since 1152 but I assume that the transfer to Sensus will take longer than if the maps are more or less up to date. Could well be completely wrong though. Updates occur frequently. It seems as though they happen every month or so so you have missed a fair few I imaginen which may indicate a long standing problem that the previous owner was experiencing too. If the car is still in warranty I'd raise this with the dealer and ask them to investigate. It may be that there is a fault with the system.

NB The map updates, if they actually start to update, will complete even after repeated stop/starts only if the USB is left plugged in. You get a message eventually telling you that it has nearly finished and that you should leave the USB in place with the engine switched off for it to finalise. When it has finished it tells you so.

Last edited by airforced; May 29th, 2020 at 09:30.
airforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:14   #26
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty68 View Post
Hello,

Thanks.
Something is not correct.
The website states that you need a 64GB usb stick:

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...aps/spa/europe

You have not stated which MY Volvo, that you have, unless I have missed something.

tem.
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:44   #27
Arty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Something is not correct.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...aps/spa/europe

You have not stated which MY Volvo, that you have, unless I have missed something.

tem.
Sorry my fault yes it does say 64gb and I only have 16,32 &128, might try the USB with some music see if that works , I have tested it with apple car play and that seems to work ok. Before I potentially waste £10 on a stick I'll ask the dealer to take a look as it's going in anyway.

Thanks
Old May 29th, 2020, 15:10   #28
mr rusty

Quote:
Well, seeing the thread prompted me to update my maps which haven't been done for at least a year. Downloaded NW Europe only to a 4Gb brand new stick (it's a 2.7Gb download) and it has installed absolutely no problem. Left the car ticking over (which it needed to do anyway to re-juice the battery a bit as haven't done many miles recently) and the map install was complete in about 1.5hrs

I didn't use a 64Gb stick last time either - it obviously is not necessary for smaller updates.
Old May 30th, 2020, 09:10   #29
Arty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
Well, seeing the thread prompted me to update my maps which haven't been done for at least a year. Downloaded NW Europe only to a 4Gb brand new stick (it's a 2.7Gb download) and it has installed absolutely no problem. Left the car ticking over (which it needed to do anyway to re-juice the battery a bit as haven't done many miles recently) and the map install was complete in about 1.5hrs

I didn't use a 64Gb stick last time either - it obviously is not necessary for smaller updates.
Interesting, might be a problem with the car then , I’ll have a rummage through my draws and try all my usb sticks see if one works.

Thanks
Old May 30th, 2020, 09:23   #30
airforced

Even though Volvo say a 64GB USB should be used and I followed their advice and use a 64GB stick, I doubt it is necessary if you are only updating the local region (ie NW Europe).

Your problem Arty if you have followed all of what Volvo say on their support web site is much more likely to be with the car. I came to this conclusion after reading your post about the last update being 1152?. From that it appears that the previous owner had a problem too which may have been one of the reasons he bailed out and moved the car on as a new Sensus unit is serious money I believe. I hope you have some sort of warranty in place. Let us know how you go on with this please.