Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Views : 300659

Replies : 154

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2020, 00:07   #151
Jazbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffus View Post
I am presently going through the heartbreak of a radio change, having done several previous posts on it. My V70 HU-850 disc unit self destructed and having researched the numerous threads on the subject I learnt it's full of all sorts of issues associated with software compatibility.

So I purchased a used HU-850 from the same year model as my car a 2005 V70, whilst all functional controls (including the steering wheel controls) work fine the radio back lighting does not illuminate. Other than a guy in the States who converted the back lights to blue LED's I have not come across anybody who has had a successful transplant.

My current plan is to use the front panel from the original radio and graft that onto the used unit.

I suggest you avoid the used replacement route if you can avoid it and consider taking a hit by install a modern all singing and dancing head unit. I am afraid that if my front panel project does not work that will be my next action.
What was the outcome? Have some similar issues on a 06 XC70.
XC70 D5 SE Lux 2007
V70 D5 SE 2008
Jazbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 20:31   #152
jezech

Smile Electronics

I fitted a second hand HU-850 radio/CD player on my 2005 XC70 replacing the failed unit for an HU-850 out of a 2005 V70, and thankfully it has worked. It has also cured a series of yellow warning about the parking sensors, which now work again.
If you try and get the same year of manufacture it improves your chances of getting it to work. I got my replacement on e-bay from Howkins motor spares in Leicester for £95, which compared well with an after market unit at £399, or repairing my original unit for £220.80 from Central Services in Essex. Quite chuffed with myself :-)
jezech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2020, 22:35   #153
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezech View Post
I fitted a second hand HU-850 radio/CD player on my 2005 XC70 replacing the failed unit for an HU-850 out of a 2005 V70, and thankfully it has worked. It has also cured a series of yellow warning about the parking sensors, which now work again.
If you try and get the same year of manufacture it improves your chances of getting it to work. I got my replacement on e-bay from Howkins motor spares in Leicester for £95, which compared well with an after market unit at £399, or repairing my original unit for £220.80 from Central Services in Essex. Quite chuffed with myself :-)
Have Central Services moved from Ipswich Suffolk?
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 12:22   #154
jerry1

I just bought a 04 xc70 with a Panasonic stereo in it, but the old radio was not deleted before removal, on code readings, codes come up 1a57, 1a59 signal missing, as unit not found,
Volvo said they cannot update software as it will not be able to find the unit, and they cannot delete old radio as it is not there
they said it might cause software update to fail and cause all sorts of problems
they did say another radio of similar year may work to enable deletion of radio, then updates can be performed for other things
i needed a new steering angle sensor, they did say it would need a software update to fit this but were not prepared to do update with radio missing as it was not deleted first,
i initially bought a new aftermarket SAS but you get only the front of it, It did not work, bought up SRS warning, so i took it out and got a second hand original SAS on ebay for £30, this was a complete unit front and back, same part number and it did not need a software update, it worked fine, and calibration was spot on too
So it is important to delete old radio if removing it for a different type of unit like a Panasonic so it dont interfere with future software updates, you may not need to delete if using a similar Volvo radio
jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 12:59   #155
Conradf

Default modules

hi, just read your post, i own a 2012 s60 which needs modules reprogramming and have been assured 2nd hand parts can be programmed
can you confirm
Conradf is offline   Reply With Quote