Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do people charge their T8 XC90s at home

Views : 966

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 30th, 2020, 18:29   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Thank you again I-S. If I do it I will do so independently so no concern about grants.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 03:39   #12
alirauf04

Thanks all for the useful information and getting back to me, much appreciated! Think I’ll take the plunge with the pod-point charger based on everyone’s advice.

I note members have mentioned to stick to the highest possible amplitude charger. However the options provided are all wattage, namely 3.2kw, 7kw and 22kw. The 3.2 and the 7 don’t have much difference in price but the 22kw is considerably more expensive (almost double!). Can anyone advise? The Volvo is limited to 3.2kw charging but the point is to future proof as many have advised.
alirauf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 10:55   #13
EssexExile
Master Member

7Kw is 32A, which I think is what everyone is advising.
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 11:01   #14
alirauf04

Thanks all
Very good advice, especially to get the tethered option, makes complete sense
alirauf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2020, 14:30   #15
I-S
Premier Member

3.7 kW = 16A single-phase
7kW = 32A single-phase
11kW = 16A 3-phase
22kW = 32A 3-phase

If you don't have 3 phase at your property then you will not be able to have a 22kW unit installed at your property.

3.7kW typical vehicles: some first gen Nissan Leaf, most PHEVs
7kW typical: optional on first gen leaf, second gen leaf, Hyundai, kia, psa, etc
11kW*: Tesla 3, standard or optional on many european models, eg PSA,VW ID3, BMW i3, etc
22kW: Renault Zoe

*most 11kW vehicles can charge at 7kW on single-phase

There's also a matter of what do you really need? A home charger typical use case is to charge over night and a 7kW unit will pretty much fill any EV in an 8-10 hour period (but it is rare that you do this in practice - 15-20kWh top-ups are much more commonplace and obviously fit in 2-3 hours). However, one clear use case for faster home charging is to fit your charging into low-rate overnight hours or to maximise negative rates on agile tariffs (for those not aware, sometimes there is excess supply of electricity that drives wholesale prices negative and you can be paid to take electricity. However, at peak demand, low supply times you could also be looking at over 30p/kWh).

FWIW, I have a 7kW home charger but almost never use it. I use the charger at my workplace and some public chargers as they are typically cheaper (my workplace is around 2.5p/kWh, and there's a free rapid charger in my local town - 30 mins while shopping gets me most of what I need for a week). This will change as pricing changes, and I would not be without the home charging option.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric charging, phev, t8 engine, xc90 2016