Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Handbrake good back poor forward

Views : 1249

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 19:49   #11
bob12
bob12

Assuming your handbrake is set-up and adjusted properly a short handbrake roll, if not on a level surface, is and has always been a 'feature' of these 700/900 cars with drum handbrake shoes.

It's adds fun to your rear view mirror driving experience when some plonker stops close up on an incline.

Bob

Last edited by bob12; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 19:52.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 13:19   #12
Jimsiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
Assuming your handbrake is set-up and adjusted properly a short handbrake roll, if not on a level surface, is and has always been a 'feature' of these 700/900 cars with drum handbrake shoes.

It's adds fun to your rear view mirror driving experience when some plonker stops close up on an incline.

Bob
I do love that feature, sooo many people back off when you stop on a hill and they are way too close.

From what I’ve been told later Volvos have the manual adjusters on the shoes so you can adjust them for a better fit to the inside of the disc like older drum brake cars used to have.
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 15:59   #13
kelvinp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
My car has this aswell, ater the slack take roll. I have replaced the cables (aftermarket) and that seemed to help for a while but the cable tends to stretch and the hand brake drifts up and needs adjusted often.

The design is fairly poor, in comparison my 360 is rock solid after 4 clicks.
I don't quite know who designed the handbrake on the 700s, the ridiculously poor compensator which simply consists of a pin in a bracket on the back axle, both of which wear. Why not have something with proper pins and bushes?

I've had to replace one of the cables across the back axle previously as I found it had pretty much corroded though most of the strands.

Mine's an auto but find it will sometimes still creep with the handbrake on if I'm in drive stopped at lights or something. Might just need a slight adjustment.
kelvinp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kelvinp For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 16:55   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinp View Post
I don't quite know who designed the handbrake on the 700s, the ridiculously poor compensator which simply consists of a pin in a bracket on the back axle, both of which wear. Why not have something with proper pins and bushes?
Sadly this highlights one of my big gripes with Volvo, they take a simple idea, over-complicate it and then make it cheaply. Conversely other ideas they keep simple, over-engineer it so it never fails and call it good.

Usually the over-complicated bits are in areas that are awkward to access (seems they like to hide their mistakes) and even more awkward to repair in a similar manner to how it was originally made. Almost always much easier to re-engineer it and upgrade it to something that will last and do the job properly.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 21:15   #15
lnparry

Hi everyone,

Agree with the comments on handbrake roll back. Seems to have been a feature on all 740s / 940s I have driven. Just part of the experience - even more fun when you have kids in the rear facing seats going up a hill in traffic!

Even with my handbrake passing the Mot test I find it less efficient pointing downhill than uphill. It is almost that facing uphill the car settles down on its rear wheels and the weight distribution helps the handbrake lock the rear wheels (or the tires grip the road?). Going downhill the reverse seems true. Seems to be the same on some of my other cars too. I wonder which way the Mot test machine rotates the wheels?

BTW - sorry to be offline for so long due to this odd year, work, other cars, wife's decorating deadlines, garden, parents, children, grandchildren but great to see the same familiar names on the forum. Best wishes to all.

Cheers,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 22:34   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnparry View Post
I wonder which way the Mot test machine rotates the wheels?
Normal direction of travel or forwards if you prefer.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 16:26   #17
Dirty Rooster
Premier Member

I got a pair of discs for the back, pulled everything off, excercised the joints, new discs solved my problem as the handbrake passed MOT.
Just fitted new pads today.

I don't know how the new discs fixed it, just that they did.
Got for folks to know.
Brand is "Brakefit".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2020, 18:16   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
I got a pair of discs for the back, pulled everything off, excercised the joints, new discs solved my problem as the handbrake passed MOT.
Just fitted new pads today.

I don't know how the new discs fixed it, just that they did.
Got for folks to know.
Brand is "Brakefit".
That's good to know - my handbrake scraped through the MoT recently (right wheel would lock the rollers but left barely stopped them) and the discs/drums i've got are Brakefit with Mintex shoes. I'll use the remains of the old pads for the time being while i doble check the size and order some up.

Old Oct 24th, 2020, 21:59   #19
jor
VOC 20573

Default handbrakes

Here's a nice insight into parking brakes and their modification:

thosbryant.wordpress.com/2018/10/31/volvo-740-760-parking-brake-repair-brake-shoe-review/comment-page-1

jor
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2020, 08:26   #20
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post

Bob
The 200-s have the same "feature"; if you have an automatic one it's REALLY amusing to put it into park as well. I found that it deterred the so-close-I-can-see-the-orientation-of-your-numberplate-screws fraternity: they only did it once.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post: