Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New V60 T4: V Power or not?

Views : 1142

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2020, 18:01   #1
peter312

Default New V60 T4: V Power or not?

Good afternoon

Hopefully this is the right forum for my query. I will be picking up my new car in a couple of weeks, a new V60 Momentum Plus T4.

My last few cars have been diesels and I’ve got into the habit of using Shell V Power fuel in the hope of keeping the engines clean inside. Touch wood, I’ve never had any DPF or running issues.

Now that I’m getting a car with a petrol engine, I’m not sure whether to continue using V Power (obviously the petrol) or whether I should use standard Shell unleaded. I wouldn’t bother if it was a smaller engine but as it’s a 2.0 litre 190bhp engine, I guess V Power may have some performance benefits. Having said that, my main driver for using it would be to keep the engine cleaner inside and as I may Keep the car for a few years, I want to do everything I can to give the engine every chance of being trouble free.

Does anyone have any experience of running the recent T4 engine on V Power and if so, would you recommend it?

Many thanks
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 18:30   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

I have a V60 T5. I found the engine is smoother and slightly more economical using a higher octane fuel. I use Tesco Momentum.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 18:44   #3
ajblogs

In petrol, I don't think you have the same problem about keeping the engine clean as you have in diesel. As such the main driver should be which fuel gives the overall better fuel economy.

Based on my experience too I feel that Tesco's Momentum fuel tends to give better fuel economy
ajblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 19:08   #4
V8XCV

I always ran V power in my '96 T5

The higher octane allows the ignition timing to tune as lower chance of knock, I found it smoother and slightly more economical.

V70 T5 (1996)
V70 P2 D5 EUIII (2002)
XC90 V8 4.4 (2007)
V8XCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 19:25   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

It's not about the 'cleaning' effect of premium fuels, it's about the improved octane rating (or cetane for a diesel). The cleaning claims are nonsense.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 20:28   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

Agree with zebster. I have spent some 7-odd yrs with one of the major players in the petroleum industry and have discussed this numerous times with colleagues petrochemists - general opinion is that concentration of cleaning additives is so low to make any significant difference. I have occasionally used V-power diesel on my cars and have noticed slightly lower consumption (likely due to higher cetane no..) but it is in the end offset by a significantly higher price/liter..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 20:39   #7
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

The issue is not as important with the petrol engine as it is with the diesel engines.
I have an S60 T5 and have been running it on Tesco Momentum but was becoming a tad concerned that it was running a bit 'hot'.
I have recently switched to BP Ultimate and I am finding the car much smoother and responsive as well as getting a marked increase in fuel consumption. As I understand it one of the benefits, amongst others, is an additive which it is claimed increases upper cylinder lubrication. That would fit with my sense of the difference since the changeover. But who knows !
I think if you check out your drivers manual it does suggest using RON 97 or higher for the small turbo Volvo engines of today.
I would try it on the lower grade first to see how it goes and then switch over to premium fuel of your choice and see if you can discern any benefit to your experience with the car.
At the end of the day the engine and transmission should, with proper care, last you as long as you want even if you run it on standard fuel.

Just get on with enjoying the car. They are lovely vehicles.
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 21:13   #8
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
It's not about the 'cleaning' effect of premium fuels, it's about the improved octane rating (or cetane for a diesel). The cleaning claims are nonsense.
Interesting then that the BP website still makes those claims which have been the subject of complaints from their competitors and others to the ASA amongst other bodies. None of the complaints were upheld which suggests there must be some substance to the claims? The variables involved with individual vehicles and drivers means that they wouldn't be consistently repeatable everywhere of course but 'nonsense'?
Old Aug 19th, 2020, 21:46   #9
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov04v View Post
Interesting then that the BP website still makes those claims which have been the subject of complaints from their competitors and others to the ASA amongst other bodies. None of the complaints were upheld which suggests there must be some substance to the claims? The variables involved with individual vehicles and drivers means that they wouldn't be consistently repeatable everywhere of course but 'nonsense'?
I'm not aware of the complaint to which you refer, so cannot comment.

As mentioned by Haldex, the levels of 'cleaning agents' are tiny. They have to be, as these obviously displace fuel and so reduce the average energy present in the fuel (which would therefore make the premium fuels of a lower energy to the regular stuff!).

Just look at the weasel words and disclaimers that Shell reference in the small print for their V-Power - https://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/v-p...er-diesel.html...
"Actual effects and benefits may vary according to vehicle type, vehicle condition and driving style"
"Helps to..."
"Designed to help..."
All very weak claims that can easily be hidden behind!

Last edited by Zebster; Aug 19th, 2020 at 21:48.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2020, 19:13   #10
peter312

Thank you all for your replies
peter312 is offline   Reply With Quote