Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'86 740 Saloon for sale

Views : 1312

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2010, 13:50   #1
raoulduke

Default '86 740 Saloon for sale

Due to some major financial woes, I'm VERY reluctantly putting my beloved 740 GLE up for sale. I'm based in North Wales but may possibly be able to meet someone part way. As I'm quite lazy, I've copied the complete ad from another car forum, so excuse my stating the obvious a few times!
I'm looking for £300, but I'm open to offers - I'd really like it to go to a good home rather than being broken for spares, as it really is well-preserved.

Bought this on a whim 6 months ago, not expecting much, but I've inexplicably fallen madly in love with it ;D Unfortunately some major, sudden, financial woes mean that I just can't afford to run more than one car, so I'm very bitterly parting with it. Seriously, it's easily the nicest car all-round that I've ever owned, and I'm very reluctant to let it go, but I've no storage space to lay it away in.

B230K engine (2.3 carbed, non-turbo, 5-speed manual) which actually hustles it along quite nicely, not that it's the car for throwing around corners Incredibly smooth and plush for its age, perfect long-distance cruiser, although like all old Volvos it has a slight drinking problem, so it might not be the best urban commuter choice.

Bodywork is very straight indeed, only a couple of tiny dings that you'd have to look closely to find. Some rust at the front of the rear arches (see pics for worst side), plus a small patch on the front passenger door, all rock solid though. The bonnet could probably do with fresh paint, as there's a couple of deep gouges, plus a badly touched-up area that's far from smooth; there's also a couple of bits of paint damage on the wings (I'll stick pics up later). There's some bubbles on the sunroof, and on the roof just in front of it - I can throw in a spare sunroof if wanted.

Interior is all black, heated leather seats, electric front windows and mirrors, everything still works Suffering from the infamous 700 series' headlining issue - it's far beyond salvage and needs properly replacing. I've never tried, as there's a tricky recess above the rear seats, although plastic head linings from 900s will fit straight in with no alignment issues (apparently). The seats could do with some leather-treatment, although there's no actual tears or punctures in them. Carpets and dash are mint. There's water coming into the side recesses of the boot, probably from the light cluster seals, it's not a huge leak though.

Engine is totally smooth and reliable, I've never had any problems whatsoever. The idle was slightly low & lumpy when I first got it; it turned out the carb was full of gunk, after a good clean it was fine. The emissions results from the last MOT are quite impressive There's a very slooow leak of clutch fluid, which despite my best efforts I've never been able to find the source of, although I've been told it's probably from the top of the master cylinder - I just top it up once a month & it's fine. The front pads will probably be due for replacement soon.

And that's it. Any more info wanted, let me know.

raoulduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2010, 23:57   #2
raoulduke

Forgot to mention, mileage is under 105k.
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:27   #3
steven2299

would you consider £200?
steven2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 16:58   #4
raoulduke

Yes, I'd take £200 if you were able to pick it up?
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 15:07   #5
steven2299

Hi

Sorry for not getting back to you. I have had a disaster and will have to replace my washing machine which as I have found out is not going to be cheap. I still want the car but I don't want you to wait for me if someone else expresses an interest. If my situation improves then I will get in touch.

Apologies for any inconvenience.
steven2299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 21:07   #6
raoulduke

steven2299: No worries!

940sportsedition: (can't pm yet, sorry) - there's at least a couple of months MOT left on it; tax runs out at the end of this month. I could probably go as far as Liverpool, depending on whether I can sort a lift back!
Old May 6th, 2010, 14:42   #7
Speedy88

Hey hunter s, is your 740 still up for grabs? When does the MOT run out exactly? Would it fly through another do you think? (Be honest please!)
Speedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 19:56   #8
raoulduke

Hi, it's on eBay at the moment: Clicky

The MOT runs out on 6th Aug - to be honest, I can't see anything on the car that would cause problems with renewal. I've checked the floor for holes, and briefly looked over the brakes and suspension, however I'm not a mechanic and haven't actually taken any of it apart! It will need new front pads before too long, but other than that I'd be very surprised if you had to spend anything on it.