Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Boot Lid Dash open msg when boot is closed.

Views : 12141

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 21st, 2013, 21:23   #1
mattjeh

Default Boot Lid Dash open msg when boot is closed.

Hello all. I am having this issue with my s40 2006 2.0d. The boot lid open message is always displayed on the dashboard.

The boot lid is definitely closed and functions correctly in all other aspects such as locking and opening.

I have looked around (couldn't find the same issue on these forums however) and fixes range from a new boot latch unit (a whole replacement unit? Is a replacement part definitely not an option?), to damaged wires within the black piping from the car to the boot lid, causing breaks in the earth circuit.

Would anyone know of any other fix? Or know how to narrow it down for sure?

It's not a major big deal but the big yellow I symbol is just annoying, also when locking the car and walking away the indicator lights no longer flash as the car still thinks the boot is open!
mattjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:14   #2
iainmd

It's likely to be the microswitch in the boot lock assembly. There are 2 mincroswitches in the lock. One tells the car ECU/CCU the boot is locked and the second sends the signal to the "Infotainment unit" in the dash. A new boot lock assembly is about £140 IIRC (having had one replaced).

It is, theoretically possible that it could also be the wiring loom that runs from the car body through to the boot lid. It's common for wires to get brittle over time and break due to constant bending with opening and closing of the boot. That wiring loom is about £40 and the cheaper place to start but it's probably more likely to be the lock assembly.

Iain

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 10:49   #3
mattjeh

Thanks for your reply, I might see if I can pick one up from a scrap parts dealer or something.
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 13:11   #4
s40manbaz

don't bother with scrap yards m8 you will end up with same probs
get new boot loom part number 30737653 36.72 inc vat from Volvo and an easy fit im no mechanic and ive changed 3 lol also the handle micro switch part number 30699141 £14.88 inc vat from Volvo another dead easy job . I changed both of these parts on mine before I had the problem
s40manbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2013, 14:09   #5
mattjeh

Thanks for the info.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 23:39   #6
t5volvo2008

Did fixing the wiring loom fix the problem?
t5volvo2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2015, 09:23   #7
smig64

loom worked for me take the rubber part from the boot to loom peel back the rubber part you will see if any of the wires are snapped or about to I had 3 wires broken on mine
smig64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 17:38   #8
29commando

Angry boot lid open message when boot is closed

could not open my boot so had to crawl into the boot space and managed to use a thin screw driver to open the lock
as this was a new lock I had a look at the Loom and sure enough, broken wires so took this section of the Loom out and replaced every wire, anyone with the slightest DIY competence can do this, put it all back together again and the lock operates just fine but the boot lid open message is now on so i'm thinking It may well be the jack plug that goes into the lock or the boot opening catch.
ANY TIPS

Last edited by 29commando; Mar 27th, 2016 at 18:12.
29commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2017, 14:49   #9
t40

Default Issue Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjeh View Post
Hello all. I am having this issue with my s40 2006 2.0d. The boot lid open message is always displayed on the dashboard.

The boot lid is definitely closed and functions correctly in all other aspects such as locking and opening.

I have looked around (couldn't find the same issue on these forums however) and fixes range from a new boot latch unit (a whole replacement unit? Is a replacement part definitely not an option?), to damaged wires within the black piping from the car to the boot lid, causing breaks in the earth circuit.

Would anyone know of any other fix? Or know how to narrow it down for sure?

It's not a major big deal but the big yellow I symbol is just annoying, also when locking the car and walking away the indicator lights no longer flash as the car still thinks the boot is open!
I know this is an old thread, but I have experienced the same problem and have managed to fix it. So here's the solution.

Firstly, remove the underpanel of the boot lid, so you can get to the switch. Basically there's a protective sleeve over the switch which slides off, and then a few plastic clips which pop out. Then undo the three 12mm bolts, which will remove the bootlid switch.

Secondly, pull the white four-wire connector away from the switch, and place the switch to one side.

Thirdly, Looking at the connector, there should be four wires. The thickest black wire (third from the left) is earth. So connect the negative terminal of a multimeter to it. Now, with the positive terminal, you should be able (with the ignition turned to position II) measure the voltage of each wire. Each one should give you a value of 12v. If they all give a clear value, then the problem lies with the switch itself. You've already removed this, so you can simply replace it. However, if one or more of the three remaining wires gives no voltage reading, then you have identified an easy fix.

Fourthly, presuming one wire has no reading, you need to find a break. A break in the black and red wire will cause the bootlid open problem (when the boots fully closed). Damage to the white and green causes problems the the functionality of the switch.

Lastly, the most common place the wire breaks is where the wires feed to the boot through a rubber sleeve on the left hand side. Remove the plastic holder by unscrewing two 25 stardrive screws. Then pull the rubber sleeve away (exposing the wires) and check for breaks. It's most likely that the wire with no voltage reading is broken here (as the stress of the boot opening and closing moves and bends the wires considerably.) Either remove the sleeve entirely, or make an insertion in the sleeve to access both ends of the broken wire. Strip it back a little on each broken end, and then connect it back together. (I used some spare wire for this to allow extra movement).

If you are unsure about poking around and taking things apart, just move to the fourth and last steps of this response. Chances are that a wire has broken here. It's a very common fault.
t40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 20:54   #10
SFM

Default boot latch fault s40 2006

I had a fault with my boot latch not functioning...dead. I opened the boot from inside and found it would operate when 12v was applied (cig socket feed). I found the wiring harness to have been repaired before and repaired broken insulation on several wires. This did not repair the fault. I bought a replacement harness which did not repair the fault.
The latch operates by giving it a 12v pulse from the cig lighter so it does work...just not getting a signal from the remote or unlock button.
Is this the CEM at fault and if so how do I get it sorted?
SFM is offline   Reply With Quote