Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 240 SE / GL Specification??

Views : 6384

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:13   #1
halenko

Default Volvo 240 SE / GL Specification??

Dear All

I am looking at buying a Volvo 240 SE specification. Can anyone shed any light on what the SE have over the other models?

Is the SE above or below the GL model?

Regards

Lawrence
halenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 11:26   #2
tannachyallen
240SE

Cool

I think SE stands for 'Special Equipment', although I'm not sure whats 'special' about the one I've got! There is a good potted history of the 240 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_240

Mine has got velour interior, a catalyst (which I've binned),lambda control on the injection. Other than that nothing out of the ordinary. But still a great car.

240 SE Auto 1991
tannachyallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:00   #3
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannachyallen View Post
Mine has, a catalyst (which I've binned),. :
did you just remove it and fit normal exhaust? would that affect the emissions? or the mot? im interested as i have an se too and may remove the cat if it can be done
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:17   #4
tannachyallen
240SE

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
did you just remove it and fit normal exhaust? would that affect the emissions? or the mot? im interested as i have an se too and may remove the cat if it can be done
As it's 1991 reg it can pass the emmissions (just passed MOT last month no probs) without a cat. I wanted to get more MPG/BHP out of the system in a fairly simple manner. I got GSE exhausts to make me a bespoke hi-flow exhaust. It only has a rear silencer; no cat or middle box, and is slightly wider OD. I put in a PiperXcross panel filter in the air box to help the other end breathe and it all seems to work like a dream. Doesn't sound too loud and definatley better fuel consumption. GSE did the exhaust including VAT + delivery for 210!! (and guarenteed for life)

(forgot to say, that price is with VOC member scheme)

240 SE Auto 1991
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:21   #5
wooble
Stay gold baby!

I think 'SE' means 'whatever we've got laying around the factory'. it would appear the SE could be ordered with pretty much any options the buyer felt like. My SE is fairly well specced with ABS, power windows, power/heated mirrors, leather seats, luggage cover etc.

About the only consistent thing is 90% of the SEs seem to have the B200F (2 liter, electronic fuel injection) engine, and I think they're all estates.

On the cat front, you can legally bin the cat if your car was made in 1992 or earlier. 1993 and later has to have a cat fitted by law, but it's still not part of the MOT test. However if you get pulled over by VOSA inspectors (those who dip for red diesel and the like) and they notice you're catless, you're in the deep and unpleasant.

Regardless of having a cat fitted, your car must pass the emissions test at MOT time. this is possibe without a cat as long as the car's running well, my '1988 240GLT flew through with no cat.
wooble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:43   #6
tannachyallen
240SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooble View Post
Regardless of having a cat fitted, your car must pass the emissions test at MOT time.

Yes, that's partly true, but what you don't point out is that the emissions test for pre 92 cars has nothing to do with cats. It is a very different test as regards pollutent levels.

So if it's a pre 92/93 car it will be tested by that benchmark not by the current, post 93 +cat test.

240 SE Auto 1991
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 16:57   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

One difference you will see. As mentioned a big percentage of SE's are B200f, some will have B230f. Both EFI. Some of the GL models will be B200E Mechanical injection maybe some 2.3 out there too? The 'mechanicals' went up to about 1990 I think.

As for SE being above GL spec. I think the answer is yes, but only on things that were specified by first owners. SE should have 4 speaker stereo. Some GLs (mine) only get 2 speakers. GL's had placcy wheel trims, many SE's have Virgos'. Many SE's will have velour seats, some leather. Most GL's have some sort of cloth seating. Both leccy front windows, some SE's may have all 4
& then there is the Torslanda lol, with Scorpius alloys, some with tilt glass roof, 4 speakers, but 4 windy up windows & all GLT style black trim. Oh & then there is the 'Polar' which was sort of a mixture of Tors & SE (I think) sold only on the continent. Confused? I am lol.
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 08:19   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

The cut off date is 31 July 1992. Anything made before then is tested to much less rigorous emission standards.

I believe there is no actual legal requirement to have a catalyst as such on post July 1992 vehicles, simply that it is nearly impossible to pass the emissions levels without one.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post: