Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oh 'eck 'Tank' is not at all well.......

Views : 10982

Replies : 150

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 5th, 2011, 08:15   #111
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Carbide Burr? Not sure what one is yet. Will google it!

Mike, if I have to go for the complete axle, a chap here has offered his services, as helper, chauffer & with his trailer - (Elaine will be out working with the 850 most of the time). So the transportation side of things should'nt be an issue.

Wooble, I'm glad (in the right way you understand lol) that someone else has had a similar mishap! It is encouraging is what I mean! There certainly is a 'lip' between the stuck in bit & the inner seal. I guess enough of a gap to get a slide hammer of some sort in position. If I can find one, or make one somehow.

EDIT: Googled Carbide Burr & I think there are some in the case in which my cheap cheap dremel lookalike tool lives. Not sure which way to 'attack' it though!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/

Last edited by Paul240480; Jan 5th, 2011 at 08:18. Reason: It was the carbide burr bit!
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 08:58   #112
czech240
Master Member

I'll come out!! ;-) Just keep thinking about what else you could spend the 200 euros on...
czech240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to czech240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:22   #113
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I would say it is still worth trying to pull it. You can sometimes contrive a puller for races from a short length of metal bar with a hole in the middle - feed it in lengthwise and then turn it and wedge it behind the lip of the race, then use a bolt and another bar across the outside.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:29   #114
czech240
Master Member

Bearing races are always made of tough stuff! But if you have the means to make one cut through it to release some pressure/friction then have a go at pulling the bugger out.

It went in...so It'll come out!! ;-)
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:47   #115
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Morning paul..Here we go again..I"ve checked the haynes and it shows the bearing outer race/casing as seperate from main shaft bearing..so besides the bearing being trashed what you are looking at in the axle housing is a normal senario..That being the case that outer shell will be tight..(stating the obvious)..Scratching me head here in what to suggest for removing that shell with out damaging..Do you have any bearing pullers?..I do have a mad idea!...hj.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0139.jpg (169.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0140.jpg (128.8 KB, 9 views)
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 10:10   #116
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Well I've established that my cheap cheap dremel lookalike carbide bits are made of 'carbideplastic' lol.

Bearing Race 1 Cheapo dremel 0

Mornin' hj. Thanks for the pics. I have a Paynes tucked away, a bit dog eaten, but it's there

No pullers to hand, but the DIY shop will probably have something............

All mad ideas gladly accepted!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:15   #117
czech240
Master Member

OK...I have a mad one for you...

1 x good sturdy carriage bolt (see picture)
1 x extra thick washer of same diameter or very slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the bearing race. Hole in the middle of washer need to be small enough/big enough for you to beat the carriage bolt through it (square into round) Had you had a welder then you could just weld the washer to a bolt. Grind this down on two sides into and oval shape so that it passes through the internal diameter of the race, plus a bit more as when you have the bolt and washer together you have less room for wiggling. Just thinking while I'm writing you could maybe ovalise 2 washers and after getting the bolt/washer combo into place thread the 2nd ovalised washer into the bolt shaft and arrange the two washer in the kind of flower shape behind the race. The nearest washer should bend and then the second washer should come into contact with the inside of the race thus providing 4 contact points.

I hope your getting my drift!??!!

Huge washer at the end or steel plate with a hole drilled in it for the shaft of the bolt to stick through/small washer greased up and a nut to pull to lot out with.....

Does that make sense?? :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to czech240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:16   #118
czech240
Master Member

Cool Carriage bolt

Sorry...this is a carriage bolt....
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:17   #119
czech240
Master Member

Cool

Try again....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ca_bolt_1a.jpg (7.0 KB, 2 views)
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 11:20   #120
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Please excuse nursery painting..but i was thinking of a small to medium two legged pullers that you can remove legs and turn around to make it also an internal pullers..The legs would have to be long enough to come outside hub..you will see by my scribble that the puller feet hopefully will sit behind bearing and seal cavity..and then place a plate across face of axle hub so as you screw down the pullers it pushes against this plate?..get to bite tight and then tap top of pullers with hammer and tighten again and so on..I know its crazy!!..I think the only stumbling block is to get the puller claws to bite tight behind bearing..perhaps a wedge would hold them tight?..is there much of a lip there..having not done this job paul..hey i dont know..will keep thinking though...hj.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0139.jpg (175.1 KB, 11 views)
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post: