Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oh 'eck 'Tank' is not at all well.......

Views : 10983

Replies : 150

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 03:08   #131
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Crikey, Paul, you're having fun with this, aren't you? I looked at it before Christmas, and you're still at it now!

Carbide burrs are a wonderful thing. We buy ones designed to fit into electric drills. They're not cheap (£10-15 a piece?) but they need to be tough (as you've found out). With care, that should do it. Obviously you can choose one from your local friendly tool supplier which will suit this application (head shape and shaft length). Just pop it in there, fire up the drill, and apply gentle pressure until you start cutting through it. You'll probably be able to weaken it enough to make breaking it up pretty easy, without risking cutting right through the race and damaging the tube.

All the best with it. I'll keep an eye on it, just in case I have any great ideas.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 21:51   #132
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Just had a fab offer from a chap on the French Volvo forum If I do decide to go down the route of a complete axle swop, then he'll come along & help dismantle & refit. With that & my oppo' 'chauffeur' with his 850TDI & trailer offer, if my plan A of pulling that race fails, I have a fab plan B

I just love these forums
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:41   #133
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If you want to avoid the problems often associated with re-bleeding the rear brakes, remember you can free the entire brake system from the axle and hang it up, pipes still connected, under the wheel arches, and then swap the axle and re-attach.
The only tricky bit is undoing the tiny bolt holding the pipe mounting bracket on the left hand side of the top of the axle casing. It's worth clearing away all the rust, soaking in penetrating oil, and waggling the bracket a bit to clear debris and let the oil get through, before trying to turn the bolt.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 12:09   #134
PTJS
Master Member

Good luck with this Paul. It's become a major exercise by the looks of it but with the support on offer I'm sure you'll nail it soon.

Cheers

Phil
PTJS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PTJS For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 16:19   #135
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Default Update

Had the following text message from Paul:

"Phone and net dead after storm last night. I havce removed that stuck bit :-D. Other shaft in. Rain stopped play. Please update thread on my behalf :-D"

I must say that sounds to be great news from Paul and hopefully tank should soon be back on the road.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 17:54   #136
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Cheers mike that is great news..hj..
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:19   #137
940_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brace View Post
Had the following text message from Paul:

"Phone and net dead after storm last night. I havce removed that stuck bit :-D. Other shaft in. Rain stopped play. Please update thread on my behalf :-D"

I must say that sounds to be great news from Paul and hopefully tank should soon be back on the road.

Mike
That's good news, and it sounds like he now has another project!
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 10:40   #138
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Righto, t'interweb has returned. Apparently the storm knocked out something major causing my ISP in this region to go down. Repaired sometime over night.

Right, having been 'in battle' with this job since 23/12 I made some progress yesterday. I went to the shops & got a carbide burr attachment & a set of pullers. The pullers had only 'outwards' feet, but I decided that I may be able to remove the 3-legs & turn them around to make suitable for this job.

Pullers first, but soon found that the gap in which the legs sat was smidge too small & the pullers would'nt grip. Just kept popping off with the slightest pressure.

So out with the burr Well that merely tickled the flippin' thing. By now I was getting a tad wicked off & the option of that (daunting) axle swop loomed ever closer.

Next I decided 'do or die' not a lot to lose, so out came my trusty club hammer. I hooked my little claw hammer in behind the jammed race (as per my pic in earlier posts), carboard behind for protection & I began to wack the handle with my club hammer. 3, 6, 9, & 12 O'clock. Third time 'around the clock' & it had moved, all be it a smidge.

So now can I get the pullers in?

Well yes, after having it pull out about 20 or so times, I eventually got it to lock in place & used my wrench as a 'bar' for the puller to press on

Spanner on & winding!

And here just before it came out

The axle tube looked quite good, a few 'marks' but nothing that looked overly serious. I flushed it out with spray brake cleaner. Then a smear of grease & then I put in the 'old off-side' 1/2 shaft (regreased) & it seems to spin smoothly. Shortly after this heavy rain stopped play, light was fading too. So that is where I am up to right now, the weather is still against me. I shall probably run Tank like this, locally. But more than likely I'll nip back to the yard & get the near-side 1/2 shaft from the 'donor car' & fit that, just so as I have a shaft that has been 'going the right way', if that makes sense! Phew.

Things look a little brighter in the distance, so may be able to do some more today................... Fingers crossed!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 14:05   #139
andy_d
Premier Member

Result,
and proof that a bigger hammer sometimes does work.
with luck tank will be mobile without grindy noises soon...

and you can add rear axel to the list of "done" and award yourself a Big mug o tea for bearing + race swap duties.
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 14:53   #140
chesters6
Master Member

i would check the other side in case its deficient in grease as well .
All well in the end though and you will probable never have to do it again.
chesters6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chesters6 For This Useful Post: