Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project Thread - 1966 Amazon 121

Views : 18284

Replies : 113

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2013, 19:47   #71
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I wanted to get the sills closed up before I left on holiday so welded in the inner sill repair and lower A pillar repair. The A pillar has had a few patches welded in but it's all good now but you can still see where they are at the moment. I cut the lower flange on the inner sill longer so that still needs to be ground straight, the welds on the repairs need to be ground down and any pin holes welded again etc. There's plenty of welding and grinding for Dave to get on with when I'm away but we're not a million miles away from finishing this section of the car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2140.jpg (208.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2141.jpg (196.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2142.jpg (272.7 KB, 58 views)
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 10:09   #72
random_noise
VOC Member

Thanks Mitch, it's looking good.

Was only able to stop by for a few minutes last night but saw that you had already got it welded up! Hopefully the jack point & new outrigger will arrive today. I'm going to get everything ground back & looking nice then will finish making the floor panels.

Dave
random_noise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 12:52   #73
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

i tell you what makes me go erhhh for example i have my 123GT on the ramp this week to do some tasks ready for its rolling restro ( aiming for mot first so full working order all round car top of list ) now the outriggers seemed at quick glance pretty solid for now cough cough the dam cowboy that fitted the new outrigger well he must of struggled with the car on the floor is my only thought why he did it that way - he screwed the thing in place and tacked and i mean tack in each corner job done and buttered it up with filler well the workmanship fitting it was shall we say cut and shut so i hate doing things twice im gonna have to lol unscrew the outrigger out and throw it a complete waste of time and refit new outriggers as the other side is even worse but least he never wasted a new outrigger he or she even wrapped small gauge 1mm at most tin like a backed bean tin round the old outrigger and least made a attempt to weld it .
its just not good enough so i will have that done next week as a few bits top get done before then on other projects but why o why do people bodge stuff and think that will do if a jobs worth doing its worth doing right the first time round !!! i may start a thread share your photos of bodged work been done prior to you getting the car pmsl just to show how poor some repairs get done on these .

least there is no fear of that with your car dave some real tidy welding being done and everything as it should be it would grind on me just driving a car knowing it had a scare attached to it maybe thats just me

happy welding keep us posted as always and dont forget ya mince pie with your (_)P T at breaktime it is xmas after all

regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2013, 13:32   #74
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800necwinner View Post
i tell you what makes me go erhhh for example i have my 123GT on the ramp this week to do some tasks ready for its rolling restro ( aiming for mot first so full working order all round car top of list ) now the outriggers seemed at quick glance pretty solid for now cough cough the dam cowboy that fitted the new outrigger well he must of struggled with the car on the floor is my only thought why he did it that way - he screwed the thing in place and tacked and i mean tack in each corner job done and buttered it up with filler well the workmanship fitting it was shall we say cut and shut so i hate doing things twice im gonna have to lol unscrew the outrigger out and throw it a complete waste of time and refit new outriggers as the other side is even worse but least he never wasted a new outrigger he or she even wrapped small gauge 1mm at most tin like a backed bean tin round the old outrigger and least made a attempt to weld it .
its just not good enough so i will have that done next week as a few bits top get done before then on other projects but why o why do people bodge stuff and think that will do if a jobs worth doing its worth doing right the first time round !!! i may start a thread share your photos of bodged work been done prior to you getting the car pmsl just to show how poor some repairs get done on these .

least there is no fear of that with your car dave some real tidy welding being done and everything as it should be it would grind on me just driving a car knowing it had a scare attached to it maybe thats just me

happy welding keep us posted as always and dont forget ya mince pie with your (_)P T at breaktime it is xmas after all

regards
robert
Totally agree Robert! Every old Volvo that I've worked on has had bodges done so there's plenty of cowboys out there doing shoddy work!!! Dave's taking the sensible approach of replacing everything that needs replacing now, do it once and do it properly attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 17:48   #75
random_noise
VOC Member

Managed to pop in to the workshop today for a couple of hours so was able to crack on a bit more.

I cut the rest of the rotten floor out- finally got rid of all the rot ready for some new metal.

Then I got the new jack point installed. Drilled a couple of holes which I plug welded, then welded round the edges as well- should be plenty secure enough.

Next up did a bit of grinding to tidy up some of the welds- I found a couple of small holes which I patched up with the welder. Must have been a bit overenthusiastic with the grinder, as one of the holes kept blowing through while attempting to weld it. I made a small plate to weld in instead. After grinding it looks not too bad. Once its painted & covered in waxoyl you wont be able to tell.

Was getting a bit scunnered for the day so tidied up the workshop. I (foolishly) decided to to have a poke at some slight bubbling at the offside rear sill.

After putting my finger in the hole & wiggling I pulled out all this rust. I need to learn to stop poking about.

Dave
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2013, 21:23   #76
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Looking good Dave. Looks like it will be the same again in the other side then.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 14:07   #77
Bladerider
Amazoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_noise View Post
After putting my finger in the hole & wiggling I pulled out all this rust. I need to learn to stop poking about.
Better to find it now whilst you have all the gear at hand and a facility you can work in. Great job guys, keep going, and happy Hogmanay.
Old Jan 8th, 2014, 21:10   #78
random_noise
VOC Member

Happy New Year to all you Volvo fans. Was back in the workshop tonight & got looking more at where I cut out the outrigger. There was quite a bit of rot inside the chassis rail where the old out rigger had been bodged in.

Another pic from underneath the car- filler used on a structural piece, nice!

So you know the story now.. chop it out!

Gonna get working on a replacement part tomorrow.

Bonus pic of rusty section, see rotten bottom & holes in side where the old outrigger had been welded on sans priming.

Also did a bit more underseal scraping in preparation for putting it back together & repainting. Found a couple of cracks in the wheel arch right in the corner. Cant work out exactly what could have caused them- I can only think at some point a wheel may have hit it with force. Its a wee bit close to the fuel line to weld away from inside wheel arch so may leave it until I've got the engine out at a later point.

Dave
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to random_noise For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 16:22   #79
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The cracks shown in your last picture aren't uncommon. See this bulletin.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/sb/8/8_...g%20plates.htm

An essential addition if you rally an Amazon. Front chassis members flex in rough bumpy conditions. You can imagine what a few aerials will do!
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 17:04   #80
random_noise
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Thanks Derek, that's some great info. I quite like the idea of reinforcing them now that I have the crack.. was just going to weld it up. I suppose it will mean I've got the same on the other side to look forward to as well.

I suppose the pot holes in Aberdeen would count as 'severe driving conditions'

Dave