Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 602190

Replies : 2692

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:36   #2251
manka2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
A basic Bluetooth ELM327-type interface and an Android app is all I ever use these days... the free 'Car Scanner' is very good when the connection profile is properly set up and it can even read my DPF and engine oil level sensor data. The free 'Torque' app is simple to use for basic code reading. Get yours up and running!

There's no pipework to check, I understand that the cooler is basically a sealed box. And fiddling about with it may affect Volvo goodwill (which is excellent in this particular regard)... Doesn't matter where you bought your car, it'll still be covered (I bought mine at a local auction with no warranty whatsoever).

Btw, I am assuming that you have the 4-cylinder VEA engine? None of my posts in this thread relate to the older 5-cylinder engine?
Yes got the 2.0l diesel engine.

I did meant a visual inspection of the cooler rather than anything else as you suggest - i'm pretty poor when it comes to cars!

OK - I'll have a play (good to know about DPF as also interested in that info too) - whereabouts do I plug the bluetooth device in btw?

Thanks for the reassurances about the warranty too.
manka2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 08:41   #2252
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manka2009 View Post
Yes got the 2.0l diesel engine.

I did meant a visual inspection of the cooler rather than anything else as you suggest - i'm pretty poor when it comes to cars!

OK - I'll have a play (good to know about DPF as also interested in that info too) - whereabouts do I plug the bluetooth device in btw?

Thanks for the reassurances about the warranty too.
The diagnostic port is exposed and roughly above the throttle pedal... easier to find the first time if you kneel down outside the car and look at the underdash.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 19:55   #2253
SeaShell

Just to confirm, my car was 4 1/2 years old with 80k on the clock and Volvo paid the full cost to replace the cooler and I believe EGR , along with stripping the head and repairing the inlet valves.

The EML light coming on would indicate that the car should be taken in to have the inlet manifold checked if has been subject to the pre-recall letter.
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 19:34   #2254
D4dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanhonam View Post
Sorry - turns out it is an emap pipe? Dealer says not related EGR so I have to fork out £150.
My emap pipe on 50K V60 D4 was replaced in early 19 on a no cost basis by Volvo but it didn't solve the low revs hesitation. It went on to need the full package of new inlet valves, manifold being blocked by EGR gunge and yet another new EGR valve and cooler. After protest and threats Volvo effectively paid the full bill. I have left this alone for some months but after reading the likely proposed fix will get back in touch with motoring journalists. Volvo replied to Honest John Website that all cars manufactured in 2019 are not affected by the fire risk recall (caused by same EGR issue) but were working on a fix to resolve it. Incredibly they say buyers of 2018 and earlier cars from dealers were being appropriately advised. If the fix just monitors valve leakage and shuts down the cylinder bringing on a fault light what the hell sort of "fix" is that??? Never heard the like...As numerous members say the engine has an inherent fault which in terms of the effect on owners is far worse than the VW fakery...but they are trying to avoid liability.
D4dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 10:24   #2255
bradams

My ‘Check Engine’ light came on earlier this week, two days before it was due at a Volvo dealer for its annual service (D4 Y2016 37k miles). They replaced the EGR cooler etc ‘under warranty’ without quibble.

How fortunate was that?

Last edited by bradams; Nov 9th, 2019 at 10:26.
bradams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:07   #2256
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradams View Post
My ‘Check Engine’ light came on earlier this week, two days before it was due at a Volvo dealer for its annual service (D4 Y2016 37k miles). They replaced the EGR cooler etc ‘under warranty’ without quibble.

How fortunate was that?
Yeah, you were lucky with the timing but they always replace the EGR cooler under goodwill for free, so long as the necessary trouble code is present. The EGR valve was a different matter when mine also needed replacement along with the cooler, only attracting 50% goodwill and so costing me £337... so not so fortunate.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 15:15   #2257
Lojzek

Quote:
Yeah, you were lucky with the timing but they always replace the EGR cooler under goodwill for free, so long as the necessary trouble code is present. The EGR valve was a different matter when mine also needed replacement along with the cooler, only attracting 50% goodwill and so costing me £337... so not so fortunate.
Are you shure about that? I did not get new egr cooler for free, becouse light went on 14 days to late, at least so i was told by my local volvo dealer. I am not from UK. My car is a litle more than 5 years old.
Lojzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 15:51   #2258
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojzek View Post
Are you shure about that? I did not get new egr cooler for free, becouse light went on 14 days to late, at least so i was told by my local volvo dealer. I am not from UK. My car is a litle more than 5 years old.
I am sure, at least for here in the UK. Mine was around 4 years old and not covered by any sort of warranty when I got the cooler replaced for under 100% Volvo goodwill.

I'm actually quite annoyed that I had to pay anything for the EGR valve. It appears from a few recent posts that it may now be 100% covered by goodwill?

I think if I had to pay for cooler replacement I'd get the associated error code mapped out and live a happy 'EGR deleted' life.

Last edited by Zebster; Nov 9th, 2019 at 15:54.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 16:05   #2259
Lojzek

Quote:
I am sure, at least for here in the UK. Mine was around 4 years old and not covered by any sort of warranty when I got the cooler replaced for under 100% Volvo goodwill.

I'm actually quite annoyed that I had to pay anything for the EGR valve. It appears from a few recent posts that it may now be 100% covered by goodwill?

I think if I had to pay for cooler replacement I'd get the associated error code mapped out and live a happy 'EGR deleted' life.
Probably this is valid until car is 5 years old, becouse mine was about 14 days older when the light came on, egr cooler was never changed before, still the old pipes. In 2016 only egr valve was changed.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 17:28   #2260
Lojzek

Quote:
Do you think there could be any problem with dpf filter if you do egr delete, or something else, some other problems?