Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blower not Working

Views : 3477

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 5th, 2009, 14:47   #1
mjpaton

Default Blower not Working

Hi guys,

I've got a V40 SE, 2002. A few weeks ago the cabin fan went onto max speed and could not be turned of no matter where the speed control was turned to. The next time I started the engine the fan wouldn't come on at all. Every few days or so the fan works when I turn the engine on but stops if the speed is changed.

Went to the dealer today and they said the whole climate control unit needs replaced, quoting £613 :S Any tips?

Thanks,
Mike
mjpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 17:28   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default resistor

check the resister located at the bottom of the heater blower, it is common for them to fail. do a search "resister" and you will see the procedure for repairing it.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 20:44   #3
mjpaton

Cheers I've looked through tens of threads but can't actually find the resister in my car. Do you have any tips for locating it? Also, do you know where I can get one online?

Thanks!
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:08   #4
mjpaton

Ah, cancel that, I've found the resistor pack that looks like this:

But how can I test it? £30 for a new one and don't want to get it if the current one is ok! I disconnected the block with 3 wires and the fan still doesn't work at all. Some threads suggested it would work on setting 5 when disconnected?

Last edited by mjpaton; Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:50.
Old Aug 6th, 2009, 23:27   #5
mjpaton

OK, I'm going to replace the transistor, but how do I tell which way around it is meant to sit? :S
Old Aug 12th, 2009, 16:53   #6
Jghoover

Default Problem fixed-right on target

You guys are awesome. The resistor pack was the problem. The parts were pretty expensive- about $100 total but doing it myself was better than paying some knuckle head 200-300 dollars to turn two screws. Oh, and to those who may be researching this problem. CHANGE YOUR CABIN FILTER. I pulled mine out, probably for the first time and it was full of leaves, dirt, etc. The same goes for the old resistor pack.
Thanks,

Hoov

2003 s40
1993 940
1986 740 wagon RIP
Jghoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 17:52   #7
AndyS40

Default Cheaper fix.

Hello,

Just had exactly the same problem myself but after a bit of digging found out the following.

Rather than buy a new unit get the resistor part number 2n3055 £1.98 at Maplin in the UK. Radio Shack also do one.

Take out the part as listed above, if however you do not fancy drilling a hole, the metal bar underneath the glove box has a lip on it that can be straightened with pliers to allow easier access to the top screw. Also if you wedge a flat bladed screw driver between the lip and the panel this will enable you to get the Phillips screwdriver up a lot easier.

If you look to your right, you will see the cabin filter housing, unclip remove filter and give it a clean since you have it to bits anyway.

To remove the resistor undo the 2 bolts and prise off gently, watch the grease.
Remove the 2 wires, they are just push fit.
Replace the 2 bolts
Reconnect the wires ensuring a good connection and test, mine took an agonising 10 seconds to work.
Replace all parts
Bend the lip back in to place.
Replace the Glove box.

Go for a drive to test, to allow Air Con chance to get up to operating conditions.

Last edited by AndyS40; Aug 16th, 2009 at 18:28.
AndyS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 19:11   #8
LVolvo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS40 View Post
Hello,

Just had exactly the same problem myself but after a bit of digging found out the following.

Rather than buy a new unit get the resistor part number 2n3055 £1.98 at Maplin in the UK. Radio Shack also do one.

Take out the part as listed above, if however you do not fancy drilling a hole, the metal bar underneath the glove box has a lip on it that can be straightened with pliers to allow easier access to the top screw. Also if you wedge a flat bladed screw driver between the lip and the panel this will enable you to get the Phillips screwdriver up a lot easier.

If you look to your right, you will see the cabin filter housing, unclip remove filter and give it a clean since you have it to bits anyway.

To remove the resistor undo the 2 bolts and prise off gently, watch the grease.
Remove the 2 wires, they are just push fit.
Replace the 2 bolts
Reconnect the wires ensuring a good connection and test, mine took an agonising 10 seconds to work.
Replace all parts
Bend the lip back in to place.
Replace the Glove box.

Go for a drive to test, to allow Air Con chance to get up to operating conditions.
Hi AndyS40, I'm looking to change the resistor as you explained although the link to Maplin is now a transistor set that is 3 pound odd, any chance you could let me know if the part needed is in this set or has changed code perhaps? Thanks in advance
LVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2016, 20:50   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVolvo View Post
Hi AndyS40, I'm looking to change the resistor as you explained although the link to Maplin is now a transistor set that is 3 pound odd, any chance you could let me know if the part needed is in this set or has changed code perhaps? Thanks in advance
A seven year thread revival must be a record. AndyS40 hasn't been on the site for 18months, so I doubt he is going to answer the question any time soon.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 17:54   #10
dralphs

Have a look at this thread

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=206986

The transistor is easy to replace if you have a soldering iron

It is an MJ802G which is available from farnell http://uk.farnell.com/on-semiconduct...90v/dp/2535622 and others

or you can get the complete unit from various places.
dralphs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dralphs For This Useful Post: