Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

how to change ABS Bulb without dismantling dash

Views : 2329

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 20:58   #1
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default how to change ABS Bulb without dismantling dash

Hi anyone got a suggestion on how I can replace the ABS Bulb on my 850 T-5? It's now not coming on at all so I guess its blown

I don't really want to have to remove the entire top dash panel. I was thinking about going in from underneath as I've got the kick panel out already till I adjust the hand controls.
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:46   #2
simpT5
Lovin all 5 of my pots

Removing the top dash panel is not as daunting as it sounds.

Just remove the glovebox then carefully prize the air vents and top speaker grilles out and undo all the torx (T30) screws you come accross, about 8 in total.

Took me 10 minutes and you can easily access all the bulbs at the rear of the instrument cluster.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 11:04   #3
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpT5 View Post
Removing the top dash panel is not as daunting as it sounds.

Just remove the glovebox then carefully prize the air vents and top speaker grilles out and undo all the torx (T30) screws you come accross, about 8 in total.

Took me 10 minutes and you can easily access all the bulbs at the rear of the instrument cluster.
Just to add (I removed the dash last sunday) you don't have to remove the glove box, you have to open it to gain access to a screw. I believe the screws are actually T25.

There's one on each side of the dash (you have to open the doors and then prise out the plastic insert to access the screw)

There's one under each of the dash speaker grilles.

Two under the dashpod and two behind the centre vent grilles and one each behind the driver & passenger vent grilles.

Once all the screws are removed you have to pull it towards you slightly before you can lift it up - it is fairly heavy.

You may want to take the opportunity to replace the illumination bulbs in the back of the dash as well. (Just a thought).

As said above it takes about 10 mins to remove and allows it all to be done from the comfort of the driver & passenger seats.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 11:46   #4
simpT5
Lovin all 5 of my pots

"you don't have to remove the glove box, you have to open it to gain access to a screw. I believe the screws are actually T25."

Oh yeah, i'm thinking of my V70 where I had to remove the glovebox to gain access to the three 10mm bolts securing the passenger airbag.

If you don't have a passenger airbag you can leave the glovebox in!
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 11:47   #5
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default replacing ABS Bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post
Just to add (I removed the dash last sunday) you don't have to remove the glove box, you have to open it to gain access to a screw. I believe the screws are actually T25.

There's one on each side of the dash (you have to open the doors and then prise out the plastic insert to access the screw)

There's one under each of the dash speaker grilles.

Two under the dashpod and two behind the centre vent grilles and one each behind the driver & passenger vent grilles.

Once all the screws are removed you have to pull it towards you slightly before you can lift it up - it is fairly heavy.

You may want to take the opportunity to replace the illumination bulbs in the back of the dash as well. (Just a thought).

As said above it takes about 10 mins to remove and allows it all to be done from the comfort of the driver & passenger seats.
I agree removing the dash top isn't difficult I've done it several times on my 93 850, it takes longer to get the vent covers off than undoing the torx bolts. Wondered if there was a way which the bulbs could be replaced without removing it as I've got the kick panels out as I'm sure I read somewhere on here before the server crash that the bulbs could be reached from below
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 15:39   #6
scr8pdo
Premier Member

till I adjust the hand controls.

What are these mate?
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 16:23   #7
bobbych
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
I agree removing the dash top isn't difficult I've done it several times on my 93 850, it takes longer to get the vent covers off than undoing the torx bolts. Wondered if there was a way which the bulbs could be replaced without removing it as I've got the kick panels out as I'm sure I read somewhere on here before the server crash that the bulbs could be reached from below
they can be done from underneath, but it is not easy, and not worth the hassles. AS said here, the dash top is a 10 min job and makes it much easier. you do not even need to take out the cluster, simply reach in and change the bulbs

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 16:27   #8
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acshortt5 View Post

i actually took the dash to bits and cleaned the inside of the clocks when i replaced the bulbs!.

it made a marked improvement as it was pretty mucky on the inside.
alv70d1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 16:43   #9
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default ABS Bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post

What are these mate?
Hand controls are adaptions to allow disabled to drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to charlotte001 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 16:46   #10
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default ABS light

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr8pdo View Post

What are these mate?
Will take a picture of them tomorrow so you can all see what I am on about

Charlotte