Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 2009 2.0d Engine start button changed function

Views : 2817

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2016, 15:14   #1
Laz

Default V70 2009 2.0d Engine start button changed function

Hello to you all,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now but this is my first post.
I have a few question. I have a 2009 V70 2.0d which I have had for more than a year now and sometimes struggle to love although I'd love to love it. The latest problem I had was the clutch just fell in one day and did not come back. Luckily I had it serviced at a main dealers' so I had assistance and it had been taken to the main dealer for repair. They told me it was the master cylinder which they have changed at a "DISCOUNTED" price of £600.
Question 1. Have I been ripped off? I appreciate main dealers are always more expensive and I have nothing to compare it to. Some of you might know if this sound ok.
Since I have taken it from the dealer/garage the engine start button works differently to what it did before. Before I pressed the clutch and pressed the button once (basically pressed it for a moment ,just touched it) and the engine started. Now I have to hold it until the engine kicks in. If I just press it for a moment as I used to the starter motor stops at that very moment I release the button without starting the engine. I hope it makes sense.
Question 2. Have they reprogrammed the car by any chance? If so can I have them change it back to what is was before? Could it be some sort of fault? It's very annoying. I heard with different car makers when it's a main dealer when the car is in for a service they will always update the software. Could it be that? Has it happened to anyone else?
Finally ever since I have taken it from the dealer I just found that when I turn the steering wheel to the right it gives a knocking noise. Only to the right. And it's not like the ball joint or suspension which I had in the past, so it's happening regardless if the car is in a stationary position or moving and only in one direction. Is it the steering rack? I am very sensitive to the smallest noise in the car and this drives me crazy and this is how I know it only started to happen now.
Question 3. Could it have anything to do with them changing the master cylinder and not putting it back together right or it is just a coincidence?

Any advice or help is much appreciated and sorry about the long post, most of you probably won't even get to this bit and fall asleep halfway. Thanks again

Last edited by Laz; Mar 30th, 2016 at 15:21.
Laz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 15:55   #2
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

My main dealer want £1179 to change the egr valve and throttle body on my D5 so I'd say you've done well there

As for the button, mine also starts with just a touch of the button (unlike my Dad's Alfa 159 which you have to hold down!! I appreciate how annoying it is when you've been used to just touching the button!!). The only thing mechanically I can think of is the clutch pedal switch. Have you tried pressing the brake pedal or does it still do it then too?? Mine's an automatic so I only have the brake to press. If not, go back, tell them it's different and you want it looking at
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasha94 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 16:08   #3
Laz

Thank you Sasha94, good idea about the brake pedal I'll try it as soon as I can! You'd think when you pay a fortune for a few hours job you'd get your car back better than when you took it in...
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 16:16   #4
tt82
Forum Support Team

Are you doing anything differently?

Like Sasha I drive an auto but if I release the brake pedal before it started, the car jus turns over. Seems to be about the only way to get the car in Ignition position II. Try doing it but make sure you keep the clutch depressed until it starts and see if that works.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 16:35   #5
Laz

Hi tt82,

I'm doing everything intuitively / without thinking as I did several times a day in the last year and it does not work the same way. I can't remember if it supposed to start the same way with the brake pedal as with the clutch. I had a laguna and on that it did not matter whether I pressed the brake or the clutch (having the gear in neutral when pressing the brake only) when I pressed the start button. I will have to try to start it pressing the brake pedal. I can probably only try it tomorrow but will report back here.
ps.: such a nice forum with helpful members. Never expected a single reply within 24 hrs not to mention 2 I feel very important and spoilt. Thank you both!

Last edited by Laz; Mar 30th, 2016 at 16:42.
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 16:42   #6
tt82
Forum Support Team

It's nice that you feel special but it's probably more likely to be an indication of how much time Volvo owners spend goofing around on the forum, instead of doing work!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 18:20   #7
Sasha94
The Dumb Blonde

Yeah, I should be marking and I'm busy typing on here... I mean, multitasking while I'm marking work
Old Mar 30th, 2016, 18:22   #8
Laz

I just read somewhere else that the battery might be running flat and a charge might stop this symptom. I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. The battery itself is a branded one and has only been changed less than half a year ago, it came with 5 years warranty, so I can only assume they ran the battery low at the garage and did not charge it before giving back the car to me. I hope this is the case, it seems like a simple solution, although I feel I should not be investigating and trying to fix my car after taking it from an official garage/dealer paying extra for the official service. At least the car was cleaned inside and out
Also I still have the question about the knocking noise from the steering unanswered, but will keep on looking. Thank you for the advice so far.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 15:36   #9
Laz

Just a quick update.The clicking/knocking noise was the thick carpet lifted by the steering column/shaft flapping back every time the steering wheel turned 180 degrees. Apparently this is normal after a main dealer repair for £600, they booked the car in in two and a half weeks time so that they can cut off a piece of the carpet, which they should not if they have put everything back as it was in the first place. I think it was glued to what's behind and once it's lifted it did curl up a bit. I cut off half an inch and now it's all perfect, but still feel it was far from a professional service.
Regarding the start button, pressing the brake only will not allow me to start the car. The technician who had a quick look at it first suspected the clutch pedal sensor but it seems to be working since the car would not start without the clutch being pushed. I have checked the battery it seems fine as well. I have taken the negative terminal off for ten minutes as it was suggested elsewhere it might solve it but had no luck unfortunately. The dealer thinks it's the actual start control unit where the key goes. I assume it costs a fortune to change and reprogram especially with them and it seems too much of a coincidence for it to brake at the very moment I took the car from them yesterday. They must have noticed it did not work as it should when they took my car out from the workshop and did not say a word. Anyway if I can't find the fault they'll have a look at it in almost 3 weeks time. If it turns out it was their fault (which they would never admit to) then I think it is a very poor excuse for a service from a main dealer at extortionate prices.
Thank you all for listening to me moaning btw.
Old Mar 31st, 2016, 17:34   #10
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Good info on the carpet, that'll help someone in the future I'm sure.

Your starter issue is very odd. I have a D3 manual and it's always started with one press of the start button with the clutch depressed and the 'box in neutral. No need to hold it in. It won't even turn over without the clutch depressed, let alone start. Car is now over 5 years old and has always been serviced by main dealer, last one was Feb of this year, so if there was a change to the starting software I'd have noticed it.

Given that the change only started after you had a clutch pedal failure repaired, logic would suggest that's the place to focus on in trying to find a solution. Apart from that I'm as baffled as you are!
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:

Tags
knocking noise, software update, start button, steering