Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rapid Relay Click

Views : 3701

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 15th, 2015, 14:14   #21
foxhole
XC90 54 plate dark green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v40alex View Post
Use a blob of grease to keep them in place while you reassemble.
Keeping things in place is not a problem, the quadrant cog has to go below the lowest white cog, with no room for it to pass.
foxhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 15:08   #22
gatos
Premier Member

I tried a different approach right now and it worked perfectly fine.

Not sure how to explain exactly, but I arranged everything as it can be seen in the first photo. Then I rotated the quadrant cogas seen in photo two. Obviously, the casing cannot close with the quadrant cog in that position, but as you get close to closing it, you can rotate the quadrant cog and it will fit perfectly where it is suppose to go. If you look on the other side of the casing, you will see a whole where the metal shaft holding the quadrant cog goes into. Make sure it lines up and you are good to push everything in

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-03-15 14.52.44.jpg (125.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-15 14.54.47.jpg (85.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2015-03-15 14.55.14.jpg (61.8 KB, 32 views)

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 17:36   #23
baldmosher
moshmobile driver

Probably as good a place as any to post the photo I took when I visited Gatos, showing where to position the screw access holes behind the glovebox, if you don't want to remove the dash, or cut a big hole in it, to be able to get at the screws holding the motor in place. Holes made with a Leatherman. Hand model: Gatos.

https://plus.google.com/115433742869...42869434126857
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150113_230840.jpg (155.8 KB, 13 views)
baldmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baldmosher For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 10:23   #24
waveboy2u

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
My apologies for the delay

Here you go

Undo the two screws pointed by the green arrows and remove the soundproof cover. Unclip the cover pointed by the yellow arrow

Undo the 10mm bolt

Remove the speaker grille cover

Lift the speaker out and undo the 10mm bolt. You will need two long extensions to get access. Be careful not to drop the bolt down, as it may be hard to find it again...

Undo the two bolts securing the airbag bracket on the car frame

You should now be able to pull out the dashboard enough to see and access the recirculation motor. If not, then follow the next two stages in the following two images. By doing this, you will be able to pull the dashboard a bit more and gain more access to the screws of the recirculation motor
Undo the screw and remove the cover panel carefully. Be careful not to break the bracket of the panel at the rear. VIDA says "Pull the panel out of the centre console using a twisting action."

Undo this 10mm bolt

You should now be able to see the recirculation motor

The following images of the recirculation motor are from a car where I removed the whole dashboard. I am using this photos, as it is easier to see what you will need to do. Using a very short screw driver, undo the 3 screws (pointed by the yellow arrow) and rotate the white clip (pointed by the red arrow) upwards to unhook it from the rod

You can now remove the recirculation motor

You can either get a replacement motor, or take the one you have apart very carefully. You will find that a couple of the teeth on one of the cogs are damaged. You can rotate that cog 180 degrees and fit everything back together and the motor should be working fine again

Another technique another member tried, was to instead of removing the dashboard, he removed the glovebox and cut through the plastic of the dashboard which is hidden behind the glovebox. That gives enough access to the recirculation motor. I will leave it up to you to decide which method is the best

im almost 10 years late on this, but is there any chance on getting to see those pictures again? or a video on how to do this operation.
Thank you
waveboy2u is offline   Reply With Quote