Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF and glow plug error codes linked?

Views : 391

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2023, 13:41   #1
CreakyS40

Default DPF and glow plug error codes linked?

trying to price up between fixing my current car or changing to a petrol car.
Current list of error codes are as follows:

P0002
Status: Pending fault present, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
Fuel volume regulator control - circuit range/performance

P0380
Status: Test is inhibited by other DTC, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
Glow plugs, circuit A - malfunction

P2452
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) pressure sensor A - circuit malfunction

P242F
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) - blockage/ash accumulation

My understanding of these is firstly needs a new DPF, its the original unit, cars on 120k miles and has had this error since the day I got it from my grandparents 6 months ago. As you can imagine they just pottered about so it never got a chance to clear and despite my best efforts it wont regen enough to clear the faults.

Once the dpf is changed is it also going to start needing more work i.e. glow plugs sound likely, in which case id be more tempted to switch it for a petrol car.
CreakyS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 14:09   #2
Teddy1975

Glow plugs aren't so expensive to replace.

You didn't write what engine is in the S40, nor from when it's from, but if it is a 1.6D or 2.0D, the DPF should've been replaced at 75K miles and probably needs refilling of the Eolys additive by now also, possibly along with a new pressure sensor.

In my experience there are less issues with a petrol car, especially if you don't need to commute long (motorway) distances daily.
Teddy1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 14:30   #3
CreakyS40

My bad, it’s a 2.0d from 05

It had its additive tank replaced earlier this year and refilled. Most of my driving is 10mins to shops and back then an occasional drive into the Peak District from Sheffield and a drive home from university about 5hr journey.

Back home I’ve been doing domino’s delivery driving which is not great for it but still better than what I’ve been doing at university.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 14:42   #4
Teddy1975

Yeah, you really don't want a diesel with your driving pattern. It will be more trouble than what it's worth. Petrol or electric is the way to go.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 15:06   #5
CreakyS40

Yeah I know but the car was given for free due to it being worth so little and I dont exactly have a big budget to change it to anything else.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 13:10   #6
Teddy1975

I also have a 2.0D. I don't know the English prices, but I've recently had my glow plugs changed (all 4) with new Bosch ones. They were about £12 each here in Denmark and about an hour of labour to change them.

And the DPF, I replaced that myself this Friday with one from BM Catalysts which cost £190. If you can't replace it yourself, figure about an hour of labour as well for that.

I don't know about the regulator. A new one is quite expensive, but might not need replacing. Hopefully someone who knows this will join the discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teddy1975 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 22:06   #7
CreakyS40

thanks, will look at getting the dpf changed then. Im not sure about glow plugs as the error code said it was coming up due to other error.

From reading online, dpf can cause glow plugs to go iffy and then the fuel thing is can also be caused by glow plugs that went iffy...
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 22:03   #8
wynnj
Master Member

First test your glow plugs; this is easily done with a DVM. They are used to raise the temperature of the DPF when the ECM detects that it's time for a regen; if they are U/S then no regen. They are cheap enough but can be a PITA to change if they don't come out easily. I wrote up the procedure that I followed about 2 years ago on this forum.
wynnj is offline   Reply With Quote