Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Increased fuel consumption

Views : 7841

Replies : 71

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2022, 12:46   #11
Teddy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
Does it have a DPF? From what I remember, clogged DPFs are often the culprit of rising oil levels in these engines.
It has DPF that was replaced 45k km ago according to Vida. It had also just been regen'd when I read out the data Thursday. The pressure sensors work with no indication of blockage. I read up on that when I saw error messages about the Eolys tank being empty after having just bought the car. The tank was in fact full so I suspect the former owner's mechanic must have forgot to reset the counter as I've seen no further messages after resetting it. (Now I have 3 litres of Eolys waiting for the next time I need to refill the tank.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Chuck a fuel treatment in it as well, 250ml to half a tank and go out for a 50 mile + drive where you can give the old girl a proper whipping through the gears, no need to gun the nuts off her just progressive 4000 rpm building through the gears.
I put additive in every time I refuel, Bell Add Diesel which is a Danish product that contains a biocide and other stuff that removes moisture and should help clean and lubricate injectors and such in the engine. Discussed it with the mechanic when I had it serviced and he said to keep using it.

Also I only put in Shell Fuelsave diesel and make sure to fill up the tank every time.

The more I think about this I really do think it's an injector that's leaking. Fuel consumption while coasting (leave the car in gear and foot off the gas) down a steep 1 km long hill where it used to say 0L/100km now says 2L/100km. I can only translate that into meaning that fuel is seeping past an injector that ought to be completely shut off or nearly so. Anyway, the mechanic will hopefully determine what is wrong on next Tuesday and I'll report back here.
Teddy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 13:34   #12
Sidonas

Yes, the fact that you're having reported consumption while the car is coasting, could mean that you've got a leaky injector. Are there any problems/excessive smoke while starting the car up?
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 17:17   #13
Teddy1975

The only noticeable problem is the speed at which the fuel gauge drops. So far there's not been a huge increase in the oil level but I've only driven the car to and from work twice since I changed the oil last, 160 km total.

There is no smoke which the mechanic believes is due to the DPF trapping the particles.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 17:58   #14
Willber G
Upstanding Member

How are you measuring the fuel consumption?
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 19:53   #15
Teddy1975

I'm going by what the car computer tells me, it's been pretty accurate so far.

I only tank twice a month so I haven't needed to fill up more than once after the consumption has sky rocketed, and then it said about 8l per 100km, which is what my calculations based on how long I'd driven on the amount of diesel I filled in also said. That's entirely too much when most of my driving is on country roads at about 85-90 km per hour in sixth gear.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 20:25   #16
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Just a thought before you go ripping the car to bits, change where you buy your fuel for for a few tanks, it's not unknown for some people to skim off the top or to be selling bad fuel, you'll need a few tanks worth so the ecu can adjust to it properly.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 11:55   #17
PNM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Just a thought before you go ripping the car to bits, change where you buy your fuel for for a few tanks, it's not unknown for some people to skim off the top or to be selling bad fuel, you'll need a few tanks worth so the ecu can adjust to it properly.
This, and measure your mileage and note how many litres are put in the tank to calculate MPG manually so you know that the display is accurate.
PNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 14:32   #18
Teddy1975

Maybe so, however I only ever fill up with Shell Fuelsave Diesel as there is an unmanned filling station on the way to work. It is just off the motorway so lots and lots of people use it, making it unlikely that the fuel can sit long enough in the tanks to go bad. Shell is a premium brand here in Denmark, not 'supermarket' quality.

I just put in 38.51 litres this morning (£67 worth) and the car had driven 489 km since last fill up. That is roughly 12.7 km/l or 7.87L/100 km, so yes, unfortunately in this situation, the car computer is pretty damn accurate.

Still keeping a close eye on the engine oil level and can't wait for Tuesday to come around. Only two more trips to work to go before I hopefully can get a verdict on whether it is one or more injectors that are leaking in this car.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 16:14   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

wow 8ltr of fuel contaminated oil i fear that damage may be present in your engine do a compression check and report back. that much fuel in the oil can wreck rings bores bearings cams ect how dose the engine sound when running?
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 20:25   #20
Teddy1975

Engine sounds and runs fine despite the poor mileage. I don't have the equipment to check compression.