Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What Make Discs and Pads.

Views : 676

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 01:31   #1
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Default What Make Discs and Pads.

I've have a bit of a read but not found a thread on comparison of makes.
I'm about to order some 302mm discs and matching pads to go on my 940 and wondered what others felt about using genuine Volvo parts against good quality factors ones.

I've got Volvo rear discs (made in China I think) and they have been OK. The cost of genuine parts isn't that different to aftermarket depending on where you go so that in a way makes things more difficult.

Choosing the pads is a bit more tricky. Quite a few people recommend police spec pads or Ferodo's (I can't remember the number) but I am worried they might be more suited for higher speed driving.
Are all standard 850 or V70 pads Ok to use on the larger discs ?

Thanks if anyone can offer any advice, I can only afford to do this once and if anything I get isn't very god I will have to put up with it !
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 08:31   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

You won't go far wrong if you order from Rufe on here. Good prices, Volvo brand.

The front Ds and Ps I got from Rufe in Feb 2010 at 200,000 miles for my V70 are still fine at nearly 270,000 miles now.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:04   #3
Axionknight
Premier Member

Did you just say your pads have done 70 thousand miles?

Volvos genuine pads and discs are very good, you won't go far wrong with them and if you order from Rufe on here, as mentioned, and give him the discout code he mentions in his posts/sig, you'll pay barely any more for the genuine ones than after market ones.
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:29   #4
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

Thanks for the replys. Getting them from Rufe was one of the cheaper options, not sure yet how much the carriage will be though.

Has anyone noticed any better brake feel when using particular pads ? Might be better putting a message on the performance section possibly.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:23   #5
Axionknight
Premier Member

Ferodo ones are good but create a fair bit of dust that needs washing away regularly as it's bad for the tyres. A cheaper option are again Volvo ones - they do police spec pads for the 850/70 series cars, will these fit in 940 carriers? I used them on my T5R and they, along with braided hoses and nice fresh fluid made a big difference to fade/pedal feel.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 11:06   #6
GMad
Premier Member

I have Brembo discs all round on my S60 and Mintex pads.
Feels no different to Volvos own Chinese made stuff
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 12:28   #7
capt jack
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axionknight View Post
Did you just say your pads have done 70 thousand miles?

Volvos genuine pads and discs are very good, you won't go far wrong with them and if you order from Rufe on here, as mentioned, and give him the discout code he mentions in his posts/sig, you'll pay barely any more for the genuine ones than after market ones.
Yep, front discs and pads have done close on 70,000 miles. The discs are actually closer to needing replacement than the pads, although in very dry weather they do squeal a bit. I've taken them all apart, cleaned and copper-greased the relevant bits, and I'm quite happy to leave well alone for a little while longer yet.

All the more surprising as the car is an auto, which would make you think that the front brakes might wear faster than that, but absolutely yes, the brakes have done that mileage and are still perfectly serviceable.

As and when replacement is needed I'll get everything from Rufe again. Not only are the prices and quality good, but you get new caliper bolts thrown in too!

Cheers

Jack

PS Not long after I fitted the last set of Ds and Ps, I happened to be in our local motor factor, and a guy in there was ordering Ds and Ps for his Vauxhall DisAstra. He paid more for his after market parts from the motor factor than I'd paid from my genuine parts from Rufe!

Last edited by capt jack; Jun 13th, 2012 at 12:31.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 12:33   #8
Axionknight
Premier Member

I use Volvo supplied pads for my C30, just recently put my 3rd set in the front, at nearly 75k and on the 2nd set at the back, so they are holidng up quite well, but you've done really well!

Drive like a saint? I don't! :P
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 12:36   #9
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

It's a bit confusing. Volvo list 4 different part numbers for standard pads, not sure what the differences are though. Then there is the police spec ones.

I will be using 850 calipers on the car so hopefully all the bits will match up !
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 22:53   #10
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

I've read up all I can find and it looks like Police spec ones will be OK. If they do actually have a different friction material thats great, if not I've just got standard ones that will be OK anyway.
From what people say there will be more dust, more wear but less damage to the discs. Sounds good to me.

It would be interesting to know what the differences are with the standard pads.
Numbers I found are all for the bigger diameter discs, 272343,9485267,9485593 (Phase 2 cars ?) and 30648381(GB)