Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat nav

Views : 405

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 15:20   #1
Sjgiddings

Default Sat nav

Hi lads and ladies,just wondering does only one use Tom Tom live, I'm thinking of updating my sat nav,not that it's very old but traffic only seems to work when it feels like and I do a few trips M4 and M25 through out the years and I think if you can get up to the minute traffic reports plus redirect you when needed to cant be bad,I no that you pay after the first year but are they any good any info would be good at this time has I would hate to buy the wrong unit cheers for that.
Sjgiddings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 15:45   #2
mikealder
VOC Member

The HD Traffic system WAS very good indeed when first launched, the newer devices that still use this system have been crippled as they can only see around fifty miles ahead of the cars current position, the older units used to see much further than this.
TomTom also reserve the right to reduce the "Traffic Horizon" on the older models in the event of major hold ups due to blanket area issues such as heavy snow - These days I rely upon RDS-TMC traffic data for the sat nav (as it's free) and the overhead motorway gantry signs which typically show large hold ups from much further away than 50 miles - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 18:32   #3
Sjgiddings

So you think it's a waste of money,the one I have is less than 12 months old but the traffic seems very slow coming through even though I paid £130 for it
Sjgiddings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 18:41   #4
mikealder
VOC Member

I guess it's down to how much value the traffic data and whether the cost makes it worthwhile to you as an end user, I have found I don't need it but I do acknowledge that when it was introduced it was very good, the dumming down of it's traffic range was the main reason I dropped it as it's no good to me if it can't see a couple of hours driving time ahead - Not all delays on the UK motorway network clear within one hour which is why I don't accept the 50 mile look ahead range (Traffic Horizon) - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote